XP again! hooray, life is good again, I think (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

panzers -> XP again! hooray, life is good again, I think (5/9/2008 10:22:59 AM)

Well, here's the deal: I bought a computer 8 months ago and, of course, it came with vista.
I find out rather quickly how much it sucked donkey balls and longed for the day to return to my good 'ol fashionned XP. Alas I was not able to do it for apparently the drivers are not compatible for xp, so I thought I was screwed.
In another thread here in general discussion, this was brought up only to find out the store I bought it from told me a fib in that there is no way to have XP installed on here. I had at that time gotten several responses on how Circuit City had lied to me about that.
So, I looked into it. I started looking around for as good a deal as possible including Circuit city. They said that they would refuse to do it because to transfering the drivers would put my computer at risk. So I thought, screw them. I'l go elsewhere. I went to several places and finally at Best Buy which I hate, would do it for $340 incliding the software.
It was time to do it for I was getting nowhere with vista, so I dropped the $340 and couldn't be happier.
Only one problem though: Circuit City informed me that my 5 year warranty is now null and void, so That costed me another $350 on top of the $350 I paid just to get XP. All total, it costed me $700 to get XP. Thank you microsoft for once again greasing our collective cheeks.
About that stimulus payment we're all getting: well, obviously, XP costed me a stimulous check. In the end, it will all be worth it because I will never again have to worry about dealing with the bullsht that is Vista. I know that because it sucks so damn much that microsoft has to come up with something else and fast because they really screwed this one up. The funniest thing of all is that they refuse to admit their screw up, lmao.

Joshuatree -> RE: XP again! hooray, life is good again, I think (5/9/2008 12:55:29 PM)

700 hard earned US dollahs??

Boy, sure am glad I still have  XP!

Krasny -> RE: XP again! hooray, life is good again, I think (5/9/2008 1:05:37 PM)

Why didn't you just install XP yourself?

Grell -> RE: XP again! hooray, life is good again, I think (5/9/2008 2:24:35 PM)

I'm glad you got it installed. My wife recently bought a laptop with vista and I hate that system.

Regards,

Grell

Mr. Skullduggery -> RE: XP again! hooray, life is good again, I think (5/9/2008 5:02:30 PM)

I would say you learned at least 2 lessons here.
1)  Never, and I mean never, buy an extended warranty.  I did that once, and learned my lesson well.  I bought a Toshiba laptop with a 3 year warranty.  Nothing but trouble, and finally bought a Dell 2 and 1/2 years later.  Sent the Toshiba to be recycled.
2)  If you are not comfortable installing an OS on your own, do not pay the Geek Squad to do it.  Get the "computer guy" you know to do it, or go to a small, private computer repair place.  They will do it cheaper, and it will be a better setup.

Good luck with your new XP machine.

panzers -> RE: XP again! hooray, life is good again, I think (5/9/2008 6:05:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Krasny

Why didn't you just install XP yourself?

reconfigurong or even replacing the drivers for it. I'm not computer savvy enough to take the chance of ruining $1200 tower.
That's the only reason I didn't have it repaced altogether. With WiF due out in December, I want to make sure my computer along with my graphics card is ready for it
And skull, you are absolutely 100% correct on warranties. Every single time I have had a problem was with the software, so, never again. It truly is a scam.

Krasny -> RE: XP again! hooray, life is good again, I think (5/10/2008 1:47:20 PM)

Installing XP is a piece of cake. Except for video and sound drivers, XP should supply all the necessary drivers.

BoredStiff -> RE: XP again! hooray, life is good again, I think (5/10/2008 6:34:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: panzers

Only one problem though: Circuit City informed me that my 5 year warranty is now null and void, so That costed me another $350 on top of the $350 I paid just to get XP. All total, it costed me $700 to get XP. Thank you microsoft for once again greasing our collective cheeks.

You've obviously got money to burn, so who am I to criticize, but for $700 you could have almost gone to a Computer Renaissance or similar place and have them build you a custom gaming machine.
Well, it may have come to about $1,000, but you'd have been kicking ass as soon as you got home.

Titanwarrior89 -> RE: XP again! hooray, life is good again, I think (5/10/2008 8:03:30 PM)

I bought a extended warranty with Dell and needed it a few years later. They came to my house and installed a new mother board,Gf 6800 graphics card and a screen on my laptop at no charge(trying to find the problem). It was a 75 mile trip for them-one way. They had to come to my house 3 times. So this is one time it did pay for its self.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Skullduggery

I would say you learned at least 2 lessons here.
1)  Never, and I mean never, buy an extended warranty.  I did that once, and learned my lesson well.  I bought a Toshiba laptop with a 3 year warranty.  Nothing but trouble, and finally bought a Dell 2 and 1/2 years later.  Sent the Toshiba to be recycled.
2)  If you are not comfortable installing an OS on your own, do not pay the Geek Squad to do it.  Get the "computer guy" you know to do it, or go to a small, private computer repair place.  They will do it cheaper, and it will be a better setup.

Good luck with your new XP machine.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI