1939 Scenario Victory Conditions (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Advanced Tactics Support

boethos -> 1939 Scenario Victory Conditions (5/15/2008 4:39:04 PM)

I was playing the 1939 scenario as the West and Russia, I had survived into March 1942 and thought the outcome was still in question.
Then to my surprise, Russia surrendered and I lost. I don't understand why Russia surrendered, according to what I read in the Briefing under Victory Conditions, Russia surrenders when it loses Moscow and Stalingrad. I had lost Stalingrad several turns earlier, but Moscow had not fallen yet. The turn Russia surrendered, Germany had just captured Kazan, leaving Russia with Leningrad and Moscow. But Moscow was definitely still in Russian control.

The victory conditions specifically mention Moscow and Stalingrad, but it also says 'Germany wins if it ...prevents... Russia from getting an arrival card.' Russia also has an arrival card for Leningrad, so technically Russia still had two arrival cards when it surrendered.
Did I misunderstand the victory conditions? If they are not as stated in the Briefing, then what are they? [&:]

boethos -> RE: 1939 Scenario Victory Conditions (5/15/2008 6:36:39 PM)

AHA!! Due to my crazy progammin' skilz (haha) I was able to use the scenario editor to find out what is really going on with the 1939 scenario.
The Briefing is just plain wrong.

To avoid triggering a Soviet surrender, SU must control at least one of the following pairs of cities:

1. Moscow & Kazan
2. Stalingrad & Saratov (nonprod city at 78, 14)
3. Kiev & Karkov
4. Leningrad & Vologda (nonprod city at 67, 2)

So.... it is theoretically possible for Russia to be in control of Moscow, Stalingrad, Kiev AND Leningrad - all four of its arrival cities - and still surrender if it controls none of the other four 'secret' victory cities that are paired with them. On the other hand it is possible for Russia to continue without surrendering if it maintains control of only one arrival city plus one particular minor city, like Leningrad & Vologda. That seems like it's important enough that people should know about it..... [X(]

EDIT: Ah, you don't get the Arrival card for the Arrival city unless you also control the other city in the pair. So if the Germans take Kazan, Russia no longer gets the Moscow arrival card. Good to know.

Manus von Olie -> RE: 1939 Scenario Victory Conditions (5/29/2008 8:49:13 PM)

thanks Boethos, I wasn't aware of this either

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI