RE: Disregard... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room

thegreatwent -> RE: Disregard... (8/8/2008 12:20:26 AM)

Now I've done it, just dug out my copy of Moby Dick and immediately run into another great line.

“Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off--then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.”

Gem35 -> RE: Disregard... (8/8/2008 12:55:46 AM)

I liked the movie, with Gregory peck as Cap'n Ahab.[:D]

pasternakski -> RE: Disregard... (8/8/2008 6:06:19 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35

I liked the movie, with Gregory peck as Cap'n Ahab.[:D]

No, dude, moby dick is not a venereal disease.

You know, I have wondered from time to time who was the bigger scenery chewer - Charlie Heston in Ten Commandments or Peck in this movie - "Die, dam NED WHALE!" Great stuff.

Of course, it probably set Melville spinning in his grave like a supermarket rotisserie chicken.

pasternakski -> RE: Disregard... (8/8/2008 6:10:02 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: thegreatwent

Now I've done it, just dug out my copy of Moby Dick and immediately run into another great line.

I think Melville must have spent all those dreary days and gloomy nights trying to top himself, one liner after one liner. The book reads like the inside of a mausoleum decorated by Michelangelo.

The agony is pretty ecstatic...

thegreatwent -> RE: Disregard... (8/8/2008 1:26:15 PM)

quote:

You know, I have wondered from time to time who was the bigger scenery chewer - Charlie Heston in Ten Commandments or Peck in this movie - "Die, dam NED WHALE!" Great stuff.

Of course, it probably set Melville spinning in his grave like a supermarket rotisserie chicken.

Yeah, I think is one book that should never have been put on a screen. There is to much that just can't be displayed and is just cheapened by a visual medium.

pasternakski -> RE: Disregard... (8/8/2008 10:51:35 PM)

quote:

Yeah, I think is one book that should never have been put on a screen. There is to much that just can't be displayed and is just cheapened by a visual medium.

Well, it's pretty campy when you're in the mood for that kind of thing. The scene where the big model whale bites the little model whaleboat is a real hoot.

Special effects worthy of "In Harm's Way," which gets my vote for the "best use of plastic PT boats and toy soldier machinegunners all in a row" Oscar.

And didja see the size of the guns they put on the pseudoYamato for the closeup? Man, you talk about caliber envy...

thegreatwent -> RE: Disregard... (8/8/2008 11:03:41 PM)

Hmm... haven't seen In Harm's Way. Maybe worth a rental.

thegreatwent -> RE: Disregard... (8/8/2008 11:59:14 PM)

As a film adaptation that does work check "The Sand Pebbles". A Steve McQueen film in which he actually acts[:D].

pasternakski -> RE: Disregard... (8/9/2008 12:15:00 AM)

quote:

There's a lot about this film to like, and a lot to laugh off if you don't like it.

It's Otto Preminger's effort at a World War II Pacific epic tale that starts with Pearl Harbor and ends with the Duke in a hospital ship recovering from injuries suffered when his cruiser sank at the hands of the Yamato.

The backdrop is purely fictional, but tries to draw from various elements of the Pacific campaign, casting John Wayne as a brave, competent U.S. Navy captain who gets caught in the backdraft of the Pearl Harbor debacle, shunted to a desk job, romantically involved with a Navy nurse played by Patricia Neal, re-acquainted on not-good terms with his estranged son now in the Navy, but playing buttkisser to a Congressional social climber, finally promoted to admiral, put in charge of an offensive meant to resemble Guadalcanal, and validated in the end with a "shoestring" victory over the Japanese.

Very turgid. Kirk Douglas phones in a role as the Duke's exec on the cruiser he commands at the time of Pearl Harbor, then gets drunk a lot over his unfaithful blonde wife (who gets killed in a head-on crash after a night on the beach with Hugh O'Brian the morning of the Pearl Harbor attack).

The special effects are just plain silly. The screenwriters' understanding of military reality at the time is nearly nonexistent (quoth the Duke: "If we can get a flock o' B-17s in there, we can control everything for 1,000 miles in every direction"). Naval air power doesn't even figure into the equation.

And on and on and on. You might like it. I used to, for about 20 viewings, but I've been disregarding it for a long time now.

thegreatwent -> RE: Disregard... (8/10/2008 7:09:32 AM)

Yikes, the Olympic coverage this year is so bad by NBC that it should be disregarded. Perhaps I should check BBC or DW for less histrionic reporting.[8|]

thegreatwent -> RE: Disregard... (8/10/2008 8:15:08 AM)

Old word disregarded: Counterpane

BrucePowers -> RE: Disregard... (8/10/2008 3:20:55 PM)

I have been disregarding the Olympics for years[:D]

BrucePowers -> RE: Disregard... (8/10/2008 3:59:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

quote:

There's a lot about this film to like, and a lot to laugh off if you don't like it.

It's Otto Preminger's effort at a World War II Pacific epic tale that starts with Pearl Harbor and ends with the Duke in a hospital ship recovering from injuries suffered when his cruiser sank at the hands of the Yamato.

The backdrop is purely fictional, but tries to draw from various elements of the Pacific campaign, casting John Wayne as a brave, competent U.S. Navy captain who gets caught in the backdraft of the Pearl Harbor debacle, shunted to a desk job, romantically involved with a Navy nurse played by Patricia Neal, re-acquainted on not-good terms with his estranged son now in the Navy, but playing buttkisser to a Congressional social climber, finally promoted to admiral, put in charge of an offensive meant to resemble Guadalcanal, and validated in the end with a "shoestring" victory over the Japanese.

Very turgid. Kirk Douglas phones in a role as the Duke's exec on the cruiser he commands at the time of Pearl Harbor, then gets drunk a lot over his unfaithful blonde wife (who gets killed in a head-on crash after a night on the beach with Hugh O'Brian the morning of the Pearl Harbor attack).

The special effects are just plain silly. The screenwriters' understanding of military reality at the time is nearly nonexistent (quoth the Duke: "If we can get a flock o' B-17s in there, we can control everything for 1,000 miles in every direction"). Naval air power doesn't even figure into the equation.

And on and on and on. You might like it. I used to, for about 20 viewings, but I've been disregarding it for a long time now.

I didn't quite watch it 20 times, more like 5 to 7. I have not felt a need to watch it for some time.

BrucePowers -> RE: Disregard... (8/10/2008 4:00:30 PM)

Another good movie was "The Gallant Hours" with Jimmy Cagney as William Halsey.

thegreatwent -> RE: Disregard... (8/10/2008 5:06:20 PM)

quote:

Added to my Netflix list.[:)]

thegreatwent -> RE: Disregard... (8/11/2008 10:52:50 PM)

Grrrr. This monday is now officially disregarded.

thegreatwent -> RE: Disregard... (8/11/2008 10:55:46 PM)

I'm not sure why, but getting a rejection letter to a job application via e-mail is more depressing than a good old fashion letter in the mail. Job searching sucks.

TOMLABEL -> RE: Disregard... (8/12/2008 3:24:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

I DVR'ed this movie a couple of months ago. I had never seen it before, but I agree with Bruce that it is a very good movie!

TOMLABEL

[image]local://upfiles/19527/39E664BE970F454DB7A7140436DBB201.jpg[/image]

BrucePowers -> RE: Disregard... (8/13/2008 1:25:51 AM)

I cannot in good conscience dieregard the preceeding post as I agree with the poster[:)][:D]

BrucePowers -> RE: Disregard... (8/13/2008 2:33:23 AM)

I didn't realize Robert Montgomery produced and directed that movie.

thegreatwent -> RE: Disregard... (8/13/2008 7:23:35 PM)

Wasn't he the George Clooney of his day [:)]

thegreatwent -> RE: Disregard... (8/13/2008 7:56:59 PM)

Jethro Tull was awesome last night. A lighting show over Denver plus Tull made for a good evening at Red Rocks.

BrucePowers -> RE: Disregard... (8/14/2008 3:10:46 AM)

quote:

Wasn't he the George Clooney of his day [:)]

Yeah, he was an A list actor.

thegreatwent -> RE: Disregard... (8/14/2008 4:45:09 AM)

I'm introducing my wife to Errol Flynn with "Captain Blood" hope she likes it.

scott64 -> RE: Disregard... (8/14/2008 5:38:57 AM)

[sm=00000459.gif][sm=rolleyes.gif][sm=party-smiley-012.gif]

thegreatwent -> RE: Disregard... (8/14/2008 6:23:47 AM)

She has responded well to "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" and the "Magnificent Seven" so fingers crossed. With my luck I'll have to watch Steel Magnolias or some such [:D]

gladiatt -> RE: Disregard... (8/14/2008 10:11:13 AM)

In life, there's two kind of people:
those with a loaded gun, and those who dig. You dig
(although it's only come from a french translation)

One of my prefered scene in the whole movie domain either !! [:D]

thegreatwent -> RE: Disregard... (8/14/2008 8:09:26 PM)

I dig.[:D] Welcome to the disregarded thread Gladiatt!

thegreatwent -> RE: Disregard... (8/15/2008 12:07:57 AM)

Hmmm... Looks like my Rockies can be safely disregarded.[:(]

BrucePowers -> RE: Disregard... (8/16/2008 11:51:34 AM)

Basil Rathbone walways made a very good villain.

Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI