Need a new wargame... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Ramcat -> Need a new wargame... (5/20/2008 5:11:39 AM)

I purchased Hearts of Iron 2: Doomsday and Highway to the Reich last month and I've logged in quite a bit of time in these wonderful games. Since finishing my last campaign in HoI 2, I've been itching for a new wargame. I'm not really looking for anything too specific, but I'm generally looking for any squad, tactical or operational level wargame or just list some of your personal favorites, really. Thanks. [:D]

Jeffrey H. -> RE: Need a new wargame... (5/20/2008 5:13:11 AM)

AT

Ramcat -> RE: Need a new wargame... (5/20/2008 5:14:31 AM)

Care to be a bit more specific? [:'(]

Ramcat -> RE: Need a new wargame... (5/20/2008 5:16:36 AM)

Oh, Advanced Tactics. [:'(]

cdbeck -> RE: Need a new wargame... (5/20/2008 6:22:53 AM)

I agree Advanced Tactics, at least if you like hex-based games. It has a random map generator that will literally have you playing forever. Also there are mods out there that literally give you battles anywhere from the Civil War to WWI to WWII to Fantasy Scenarios. It is so jammed packed full of goodness, I have actually never played the core scenarios and I still feel like I have my money's worth!

SoM

sterckxe -> RE: Need a new wargame... (5/20/2008 9:39:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ramcat
I purchased Hearts of Iron 2: Doomsday and Highway to the Reich last month and I've logged in quite a bit of time in these wonderful games. Since finishing my last campaign in HoI 2, I've been itching for a new wargame. I'm not really looking for anything too specific, but I'm generally looking for any squad, tactical or operational level wargame or just list some of your personal favorites, really. Thanks. [:D]

If you liked Highway to the Reich, you're going to love Conquest of the Aegean

http://cota.matrixgames.com

Here's a couple of reviews :

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/articles.php?p=2727&page=1&cat=59
http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/conquestoftheaegean/

And MarkShot's mini-guide (pdf in zip)

ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/conquestoftheaegean/COTA%20Mini-Guide%20Dec-22-2005.zip

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Grell -> RE: Need a new wargame... (5/20/2008 2:02:41 PM)

Like Eddy, I would say get Conquest of the Aegean.

Regards,

Greg

Banquet -> RE: Need a new wargame... (5/20/2008 2:22:28 PM)

I highly recommend both Conquest of the Aegean and Advanced tactics.. you can't go wrong with either.

06 Maestro -> RE: Need a new wargame... (5/20/2008 2:46:34 PM)

I would recomend COTA. Not only is it a great game, but it is a great game you already know how to play. As mentioned above, if you liked HTTR, you will love CotA.

Ramcat -> RE: Need a new wargame... (5/20/2008 3:21:06 PM)

I can't believe I have not heard of COTA up until now. :( But thanks for opening my eyes, this is my next definitive purchase. [:D]

I just purchased Advanced Tactics and it seems to be just what I asked for. I just finished the tutorial and I'm starting on my first scenario, so I guess now I'll get to see what the game is really like.

Also, any recommendations for any of the Squad Battles games from HPS? There's quite a few titles and I'm not sure which one to get. [:(]

Any more suggestions are welcome. Being house-bound as a result of a broken ankle has freed up a lot of my time lately, so I need some more games to get lost into

JudgeDredd -> RE: Need a new wargame... (5/20/2008 3:31:50 PM)

2nd campaign in HoI2!!! I haven't managed a single campaign yet!!

Good goin mister [&o]

sterckxe -> RE: Need a new wargame... (5/20/2008 5:06:16 PM)

quote:

Also, any recommendations for any of the Squad Battles games from HPS? There's quite a few titles and I'm not sure which one to get. [:(]

Well, the latest one is Winter War, it deals with the Russo-Finish war of '39-'40 and comes with a digital version of Bill Trotter's Frozen Hell book. I ordered that book through Amazon recently and it's bloody excellent. If you like the fact you can have a game and a book on the same topic this is the one to get. It got a good review in the latest PC4War magazine (French) as well.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Ramcat -> RE: Need a new wargame... (5/22/2008 12:28:54 PM)

Winter War looks awesome and the free e-book is the icing on the cake. Thanks for the reccomendation. [:D]

Any ways, I'm still open to more reccomendations. I'm looking for something similar to AT but a bit more complex, or any thing else, really.

Hertston -> RE: Need a new wargame... (5/22/2008 1:10:18 PM)

I haven't got Winter War so can't comment on that, but I would say that of the five I have played it has been the two Vietnam games I enjoyed most. The reason is that for a relatively straightforward IGOUGO engine it actually handles helicopter operations very well, and the scenarios that depend on it are the most entertaining. I assume the same is probably true of Soviet/Afghan as well.

One good thing about the HPS stuff is that the older games are retrofitted to include improvements introduced in later games, so they are never dated. At least relatively, of course, the basic engine is a decade old. As to other recommendations I'm surprised nobody has mentioned TOAW3 yet? There's a lifetime of gaming in there, and it's not exactly expensive either. If you find you like Squad Battles, the best-of-the-rest from HPS would be the Civil War Campaigns series and 'Modern Battles' series IMHO. WW2 is done rather better by Panther and SSG.

Basically, you won't find a bad wargame here; Matrix know the hobby far too well to publish rubbish. It really comes down to exactly what sort of game you want, and reading the descriptions and glancing through the forums will tell you that. Say you wanted a WW2 Pacific game. War in the Pacific is one of the five best wargames ever published IMHO, but you need vast amounts of spare time free to do it justice. Carriers at War may not be quite 'as good', but it's far better suited to my lifestyle, and may be to yours for all I know! You won't see Tin Soldiers mentioned much in recommendation threads simply because ancients aren't that popular and the games didn't sell that well. But those who like them REALLY like them, and I for one was seriously pissed that Koios moved on to WW2 (yawnnn....) for seemingly purely commercial reasons. Tin Soldiers ACW or Napoleonics would have kicked serious ass. Anyway, I digress. You get the picture.

Kuokkanen -> RE: Need a new wargame... (5/23/2008 10:54:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sterckxe

quote:

Well, the latest one is Winter War, it deals with the Russo-Finish war of '39-'40 and comes with a digital version of Bill Trotter's Frozen Hell book.

Are you referring to commercial Blitzkrieg mod?

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI