Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Moster -> Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (5/30/2008 4:33:55 PM)

Don't know if this has been done before but I thought I would ask. I used to play war games on a c64 and I just recently went in to semi-retirement and have a little more time and thought I would get in to war games again. Just bought a couple Matrix games and am looking to get couple more and wondered what everybody thought was the best Matrix game. Any Matrix game. Thanks.

Terminus -> RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (5/30/2008 4:35:43 PM)

War in the Pacific, no contest. The ultimate grognard's war game.

Followed by Steel Panthers: World at War and The Operational Art of War III.

JudgeDredd -> RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (5/30/2008 4:40:35 PM)

COTA for me...Forge of Freedom a close second (I think)...I have so many favourite games!

HansBolter -> RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (5/30/2008 4:57:54 PM)

1. Battles from the Bulge/Conquest of the Aegean

2. War in the Pacific/Uncommon Valor

Hertston -> RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (5/30/2008 5:07:46 PM)

CotA. Might well be BftB when released.

EUBanana -> RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (5/30/2008 5:49:13 PM)

GoA.

Joram -> RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (5/30/2008 6:04:47 PM)

Err, obviously you're going to ask 10 people and get 12 different answers so you might want to be a bit more specific on what kind of game interests you.

Easy to get into but good games include Commander: Europe at War, Tin Soldiers series, Spartan series, the Hussar Games (Napoleon in Italy), Close Combat series
Games of moderate complexity that are good are Birth of America, American Civil War, Forge of Freedom, Crown of Glory
Complex Games include TOAW III, Highway to The Reich/Conquest of the Aegean (Panther games), Uncommon valor
Intensely Complex games include Empire in Arms, War in the Pacific...

JudgeDredd -> RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (5/30/2008 6:29:43 PM)

He does say "Any Matrix game"

sterckxe -> RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (5/30/2008 6:36:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

And the majority (me included) picks Conquest of the Aegean - case closed - you can all go home now [:D]

@Original poster : here are the links you can check out

The game info : http://www.matrixgames.com/games/game.asp?gid=313
The forum : http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=123
The official game-site : http://cota.matrixgames.com/
The Drop Zone : http://www.wargamer.com/hosted/dropzone/index.html

A 5-minute video intro can be gotten here :

http://cota.matrixgames.com/downloads/cota%20-%205%20minute%20guide%20v2.0.zip

And MarkShot's excellent (PDF) mini-guide here :

ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/conquestoftheaegean/COTA%20Mini-Guide%20Dec-22-2005.zip

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Jeffrey H. -> RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (5/30/2008 10:09:23 PM)

I suggest you get the Steel Panthers WaW free download and have fun with that.

If you have the itch to buy something, I would add Advanced Tactics to the list already compiled. 

06 Maestro -> RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (5/30/2008 10:35:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sterckxe

quote:

And the majority (me included) picks Conquest of the Aegean - case closed -

Not yet. CotA is my #1 choice also. If you want a realistic operational game, the choice is clear-Conquest of the Aegean.

WitP is also an amazing game, but it justs takes too long to finish-and the land warfare simply can't compare to CotA. I don't know how non retired individuals can find the time to play such a game.

If you state what type of gaming you are interested in, I'm sure you will be promptly pointed in the correct direction.

sterckxe -> RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (5/30/2008 10:41:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro
If you state what type of gaming you are interested in, I'm sure you will be promptly pointed in the correct direction.

In fact this is the only correct answer to the question asked - it really depends on what type of game you like

[But COTA is *still* the best game ! [:D]]

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Northern Star -> RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (5/30/2008 10:42:04 PM)

I suggest you War in Russia free download. I think it's a great game.

EUBanana -> RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (5/31/2008 12:53:05 AM)

quote:

And the majority (me included) picks Conquest of the Aegean - case closed - you can all go home now [:D]

God only knows why. Awful!

Deathtreader -> RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (5/31/2008 1:25:38 AM)

Land = Conquest Of The Aegean

Naval = Warplan Orange

Rob.

JudgeDredd -> RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (5/31/2008 1:56:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: EUBanana

quote:

God only knows why. Awful!

[X(]

Heretic!!! [:'(]

Titanwarrior89 -> RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (5/31/2008 1:57:05 AM)

Right on![:)]
quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

War in the Pacific, no contest. The ultimate grognard's war game.

Followed by Steel Panthers: World at War and The Operational Art of War III.

KG Erwin -> RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (5/31/2008 3:20:57 AM)

I gotta speak out for SPWAW. This is the game that launched Matrix, and the fans of it have taken it to another level. It is still relevant for gamers who want a variety of tactical situations and a wide choice of nations.

Zakhal -> RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (5/31/2008 4:14:17 AM)

War in the pacific. I waited ten years for that game. Matrix games came from nowhere and helped to make that game.

Gem35 -> RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (5/31/2008 4:32:21 AM)

War in the Pacific - the Struggle against Japan.[:)]

Cap Mandrake -> RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (5/31/2008 6:19:10 AM)

War in the Pacific.

The battle for the Dutch east Indies and Malaysia/Singapore and the PI in 1941 and ealry 1942 is sublime.

The number of Strategic options is almost limitless.

Grell -> RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (5/31/2008 2:04:24 PM)

Conquest of the Aegean and Panzer Command Kharkov.

Regards,

Greg

EUBanana -> RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (5/31/2008 4:48:22 PM)

quote:

Heretic!!! [:'(]

[:D]

I tried to like it, I really did. Odd really, given I like WitP and Hearts of Iron 2 in equal measure, I think that implies I got a pretty broad spectrum of like for wargames...

EUBanana -> RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (5/31/2008 4:51:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

War in the Pacific.

The battle for the Dutch east Indies and Malaysia/Singapore and the PI in 1941 and ealry 1942 is sublime.

The number of Strategic options is almost limitless.

Yeah, 1941-42 in WITP is an amazing gaming experience.

Sure it'll take you a good six months RL probably to work your way through it, but it'll be one hell of a ride.

And the time it takes gives it a certain poetry. I remember in my old game with Simon Prior years back, there is something magical about how you decide on an overall strategy at the grand scale, and then, slowly, over months of game time, your forces slowly come into the configuration you planned... while his are doing likewise of course. [:D]

I could see a long telegraphed attack on India brewing and it was glorious to see it slowly building up, and my defences slowly getting into position at the same time.

Even more glorious on that one turn when Warspite sunk a Jap CVL and did heavy damage to another one with a 15" shell in a monsoon off Sri Lanka. [:D][:D][:D][:D]

thegreatwent -> RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (6/1/2008 1:43:51 AM)

WitP hands down has been the most immersive Matrix game for me. I think that I've spent just pennies a day to play it at this point.

panzers -> RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (6/1/2008 9:21:07 AM)

Hmmm, let's get back on this one a year from now when WiF will have most likely have been out for a few months by then.

ilovestrategy -> RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (6/1/2008 11:45:14 AM)

Gary Grigby's World at War for me! [:)]

General Quarters -> RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (6/2/2008 6:06:13 AM)

My favorite is Forge of Freedom, which I played non-stop (at least it seemed non-stop to my wife) for about 8 months, which is a record for me with one game.  I also enjoyed HOI I & II a lot with good mods, but the AI was not strong enough to hold interest for a whole war.

sterckxe -> RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (6/2/2008 9:43:51 AM)

quote:

quote:

God only knows why.

Tried to phone him about it, but he's unlisted [;)]

quote:

Awful!

In what sense ? Seriously.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

EUBanana -> RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? (6/2/2008 3:17:31 PM)

quote:

quote:

Awful!

In what sense ? Seriously.

I just didn't feel that what you did made any difference at all. Stuff like encirclement, holding hills or bridges, all seemed totally irrelevant. It was like an RTS, like Warcraft 3, except one shorn of all strategy.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI