WinSPMBT/WW2 or SP:WAW? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Ramcat -> WinSPMBT/WW2 or SP:WAW? (6/1/2008 5:58:43 PM)

Both of these games seem to be very similar but there is quite a division between the fans of these two titles. So, which of these do you think is the better game?

(Also, I figured I'd post this in general discussion instead of the SP:WAW subforum so I could get a bit of an unbiased answer. [;)] )

Terminus -> RE: WinSPMBT/WW2 or SP:WAW? (6/1/2008 6:06:22 PM)

I like all three, and own all three. They're free, after all.

junk2drive -> RE: WinSPMBT/WW2 or SP:WAW? (6/1/2008 6:10:37 PM)

WW2 and MBT are mods of SP2, WAW is a mod of SP3. They play differently and are all enjoyable. Free is a plus.
It takes a long time to learn all the little things about them.

Ramcat -> RE: WinSPMBT/WW2 or SP:WAW? (6/1/2008 6:59:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

WW2 and MBT are mods of SP2, WAW is a mod of SP3. They play differently and are all enjoyable. Free is a plus.
It takes a long time to learn all the little things about them.

Thanks, I did not know this. I thought SP:MBT/WW2 and SP:WAW were just variants of the same game.

Also, is it possible to run SP:WAW windowed in Vista?

junk2drive -> RE: WinSPMBT/WW2 or SP:WAW? (6/1/2008 7:03:55 PM)

SPWAW only plays fullscreen 800x600

There are Vista threads here and at www.spwaw.com

Erik Rutins -> RE: WinSPMBT/WW2 or SP:WAW? (6/1/2008 10:10:30 PM)

Ramcat,

I think most SP players have tried/own them all. No need to choose really as SPWAW is available for free, it only costs money if you want the General's Edition with the extra Mega-Campaigns and all the research that went into creating the mega-campaign system and the scenarios. SPWAW is indeed based on SP3 and was the first "overhaul" of Steel Panthers. SPWW2 is based on SP2, came a bit later but supports higher resolutions. Both are fully Windows-compatible and each has a different feature set with varying strengths.

The Mega-Campaigns are a separate development for SPWAW - they're pretty much the best SP tactical campaigns I've seen and chock full of hundreds of hours of play, historical documents and branching campaign choices, but you don't need to buy those to play SPWAW.

Regards,

- Erik

Kuokkanen -> RE: WinSPMBT/WW2 or SP:WAW? (6/1/2008 10:23:40 PM)

WinSPMBT above all others [:D]

Note about the two other games: it's easier to convert existing SP scenarios for WinSPWW2 than for SPWAW. I have two scenario disks and one campaign disk around I might still play around with: Cold Will, 5th SS Wiking, and Stalingrad [;)]

Twotribes -> RE: WinSPMBT/WW2 or SP:WAW? (6/3/2008 2:42:02 PM)

As a note WW2 allows more freedom to assign sub units to company type headquarters, BUT SPWAW allows you to buy sub units and transfer in total the units into other sub units. They both have features that are nice. Free, so like they said, try them all.

Grell -> RE: WinSPMBT/WW2 or SP:WAW? (6/3/2008 2:51:06 PM)

I remember buying those games when they first came out.

Regards,

Greg

mack2 -> RE: WinSPMBT/WW2 or SP:WAW? (6/5/2008 3:49:58 PM)

I'm a fan of
WinSPMBT Hmm. Copy/Paste lol. Remember playing the original game/versions demo for hours on end when I was young and the internet was a twinkle in Al Gore's eyes, favourite mission (of the 4 in it) was the Ukraine (iirc) vs Russian Armour and Airborne Spetznatz over an airfield.

The Bubba -> RE: WinSPMBT/WW2 or SP:WAW? (6/5/2008 5:52:37 PM)

I just downloaded SPWAW. I can play it at work :D

Arctic Blast -> RE: WinSPMBT/WW2 or SP:WAW? (6/6/2008 12:08:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Bubba

I just downloaded SPWAW. I can play it at work :D

[X(]THAT must be nice.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI