RE: Turn Based or Realtime (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

06 Maestro -> RE: Turn Based or Realtime (6/10/2008 9:57:44 AM)

The RT games I have are pausable and have variable speed. You can slow the game to a crawl if that is was you want. To pause even during an MP session is no big deal.
As for the amount of clicking, we all know that there are TB games which have many hundreds of units (sometimes over a thousand) which need to be "clicked" on several times per turn. Granted, you can take your time in playing out the turn, but the clicking is still there-a whole lot of it.
I don't do 1st person shooters, so I'm not familiar with that type of rt play. As far as operational type RT games, there is considerably less clicking-unless you try to play the old fashion way by telling every single unit where to move.

Also, it seems quite clear that WEGO is not a traditional, normal, old fashioned turn based system. It is something that is still relatively new and drastically improved over TB. It really should be in a catagory by itself.

One hundred years ago most folks thought that horse saddles would be needed forever-I suppose some would say they were right. There are still some horses around to saddle up.....no doubt there will still be a few TB games in a hundred years.[:D]

Fred98 -> RE: Turn Based or Realtime (6/10/2008 10:28:07 AM)

Both ( as appropriate for what is trying to be modelled)

-

JudgeDredd -> RE: Turn Based or Realtime (6/10/2008 11:08:57 AM)

Like Maestro, I like the pausible real time...time to think, give orders and watch the action in all it's real time glory. I like those.

I will stay with my original vote though...turn based is my favourite...but I would like to add a stipulation I saw someone else mention...it has to be TB WEGO.

In order of fav...
  1. Turn Based - WEGO
  2. Pausible Real Time
  3. Turn Based

105mm Howitzer -> RE: Turn Based or Realtime (6/10/2008 3:36:36 PM)

T and B
Merci [:'(]

vonbert -> RE: Turn Based or Realtime (6/10/2008 5:42:28 PM)

Turn Based basically.
But i think that "Combat Mission" with his turn based orders , followed by real-time-watchonly-action phase is the best compromise !   

nikb -> RE: Turn Based or Realtime (6/10/2008 10:11:01 PM)

Turn based.

GaryChildress -> RE: Turn Based or Realtime (6/12/2008 2:37:32 AM)

Both almost equally.

Veldor -> RE: Turn Based or Realtime (6/13/2008 3:13:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

11 RT,32 TB.

Outside:

2 TB,9 RT

In case its helpful to whatever your purpose in asking is I conducted a rather lengthy and involved survey some 2.5 years ago in which, amongst other questions, I asked several hundred respondants not which they liked better but which they liked at all.

The results as percentages were:

Turn-Based IGO-UGO: 89%
Turn-Based WEGO: 84%
RealTime NonPausable: 15%
RealTime Pausable: 65%

What I took from it at the time was that amongst wargamers far more people are interested in RealTime Pausable than I would have thought. That number has probably only increased since then due to the quality of some of those games (Panther and such). I would imagine any survey will be highly skewed based on the place posted (Matrix towards TB for instance and Battlefront towards RT Pausable). Most of my respondants came from Matrix, Wargamer, and SZO.

For the purposes of your survey though put me down as Turn Based.

Howard7x -> RE: Turn Based or Realtime (6/16/2008 6:46:29 PM)

As previously mentioned, depends on the game at hand, i enjoy both.

I will take continous time though seeing as its a mix of both. Just to be awkward. [:D] 

BAL -> RE: Turn Based or Realtime (6/17/2008 12:51:01 AM)

What was the question?  [&:]

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI