Harpoon 3: Advanced Naval Warfare Is Updated Again! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare

Alex Fiedler -> Harpoon 3: Advanced Naval Warfare Is Updated Again! (6/10/2008 10:24:19 AM)

Yet another update improving this famous naval combat simulator – the benefits of the community development initiative at work!

Matrix Games and Advanced Gaming Systems (www.advancedgaming.biz) are proud to announce the release of another update for Harpoon 3: Advanced Naval Warfare. Serving as a significant sign that the new community-focused development initiative is working, this 3.9.3 update repairs roughly a dozen crashes or bugs posted on the community issue tracking system.

The release comes as the third update in just a few months, with more improvements and fixes in subsequent updates on the way. As was mentioned in our 3.9.2 release, the 3.9.x series of updates are aimed at improving game stability and increasing responsiveness to customer feedback, with the goal of improving the entire game experience for the Harpoon community. Matrix Games and Advanced Gaming Systems encourage Harpoon 3 fans to head to the official forums to become a part of this new initiative.

David Heath, Director of Operations at Matrix Games, said “This new community-based development initiative is really working hard to improve this great naval warfare sim for everyone. We’re proud to be working with Advanced Gaming Systems and this robust, dedicated community to frequently and effectively better Harpoon 3.”

Harpoon 3 – Advanced Naval Warfare is the culmination of decades of development and fan support, resulting in the most comprehensive, realistic, and accurate simulation of modern combined air and naval operations available to the gaming public. Harpoon 3 gives the player an opportunity to manage some of the most advanced air and naval assets available in the world, putting them in the middle of many historical and ‘what if’ scenarios. Players will have the chance to battle it out against a variety of enemies using technology from all of the premier naval powers of the day: Iranian Revolutionary Guard in the Persian Gulf, re-live Operation El Dorado Canyon, strike at the heart of Libya, guard the Greenland-Iceland-UK gap to stop a Soviet naval invasion of the Atlantic, or stalk unwary U.S. shipping in a Soviet Akula-class submarine.

Get more information on Harpoon 3: Advanced Naval War from its product page. The update will bring the game up to version 3.9.3.

http://www.matrixgames.com/games/downloads.asp?gid=323

hermanhum -> Patch for Harpoon ANW 3.9.0 (6/10/2008 4:43:48 PM)

Summary:
After 3.7.0 release: 80 Issues reported
After 3.8.0 Patch: (80 Issues - 34 Fixed + 88 New) = 134 Issues
After 3.9.0 Patch: (134 Issues - 31 fixed + 68 New) = 171 Issues
After 3.9.2 Patch: (171 Issues - 15 fixed + 35 New) = 191 Issues
After 3.9.3 Patch: (191 Issues - 17 fixed + 10 New) = 184 Issues

A comprehensive third-party list of 191 * Known Harpoon [ANW] Issues has been exhaustively collected on HarPlonkHQ since the release of Harpoon ANW 3.7.0 Now that the 3.9.3 patch has been released, the list has been checked to see what has changed. While it is by no means definitive, it is believed that:

These 17 behaviours appear to have been resolved by the 3.9.3 patch:

These 174 behaviours do not appear to have been resolved by the 3.9.3 patch:

These 10 behaviours have been reported since the 3.9.3 patch release:

FreekS -> RE: Patch for Harpoon ANW 3.9.0 (6/10/2008 9:46:05 PM)

IMO there were significnat bugs repaired! Thanks! Here is my own 2 seconds opinion on the most severe remaining bugs (in order of priority):
83 unarmed units not engaged
49 SSK rises early
118 Delayed on-station viccond does not wait for delay
62 Nav zone reset by mission editor
10 viccond triggers in SP but not in MP
Hope others will add their list
Freek__________________

rsharp@advancedgamin -> RE: Patch for Harpoon ANW 3.9.0 (6/10/2008 10:01:56 PM)

Thanks, I got a few of my favorite bugs to look at as well. You can see what I'll be engaging next here:

http://hud3.harpoon5.com/mantis/roadmap_page.php

83 Unarmed Units not engaged
There is a workaround for this one. The database editors can give the units a threat value if they give the platform a severely limited weapon capable vs. all unit types.

A fix in the GE might introduce all sorts of target engagement weirdness. The database editors will know which platforms should be engaged better than the GE ever would. Perhaps in the future the GE will judge threat values based on emitters but this would be a new feature. That's beyond the scope of the project as it stands.

hermanhum -> Patch for Harpoon ANW 3.9.0 (6/11/2008 10:48:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rsharp@advancedgamin

83 Unarmed Units not engaged
There is a workaround for this one. The database editors can give the units a threat value if they give the platform a severely limited weapon capable vs. all unit types.

A fix in the GE might introduce all sorts of target engagement weirdness. The database editors will know which platforms should be engaged better than the GE ever would. Perhaps in the future the GE will judge threat values based on emitters but this would be a new feature. That's beyond the scope of the project as it stands.

I'll have to disagree. This is a partial work-around solution, IMO. I do not want to get into an involved discussion at this point over why I think it may or may not work because I believe that there is a more important fundamental failure in logic in play.

When this "Unarmed" problem was first encountered, I discussed it with Darren Buckley (HUD3 editor). Both of us had already come up with similar ideas for using the same type of work-around technique in hopes of circumventing this problem. Now, it appears as though the editors for the DB2k, ANWDB, and ODb have all come to the same conclusion (and the same work-around idea.)

So, the situation is that all the biggest ANW users [PlayersDB, HUD3, ANWDB, ODb, Db2k] seem to recognize this as a significant problem, all of the editors came up with the same work-around solution, and AGSI is telling everyone to implement a work-around solution instead of fixing the underlying problem. This is a gross failure in logic and the Game Engine.

I can understand how it may have come about. AGSI was probably trying to improve the AI behaviour by getting it to act more intelligently and selectively. Unfortunately, the new scheme has not worked out; the "target engagement weirdness" is already here. Instead of continuing to try and force this 'square peg [new behaviour] into a round hole' and propping it up by requiring all the DB editors to implement (temporary?) work-around solutions, the underlying behaviour is simply not working. In H3, it was pretty simple, yet functional: attack all positively identified enemy units. A more basic concept cannot be found in war.

It is quite understandable to use a work-around if a game is no longer being supported. This is the case with Dangerous Waters since no further patches are forthcoming. However, it is not reasonable for ANW to expect everyone to rely upon partial work-around solutions when other bugs are still being addressed.

morphin -> RE: Patch for Harpoon ANW 3.9.0 (7/20/2008 7:00:12 PM)

Hi

I would like to make a new login for mantis, but i can not see any confirmation picture for seeing the code. o

Regards
Andy

rsharp@advancedgamin -> RE: Patch for Harpoon ANW 3.9.0 (7/20/2008 7:39:47 PM)

Howdy Andy,

Which Mantis issue tracker are you trying to use? The public Mantis doesn't require a log in but you will need to switch to the public project using the drop-down list in the top right.

tpope -> RE: Patch for Harpoon ANW 3.9.0 (7/25/2008 3:13:27 PM)

I'm having the same problem.  The signup is impossible becase the capcha graphic is a broken link. I can see all pages of the public side, but other than a test of anonymous bug reporting, there are no bugs in the list.  Should I go elsewhere to submit bug reports?

rsharp@advancedgamin -> RE: Patch for Harpoon ANW 3.9.0 (7/25/2008 5:39:49 PM)

You don't need to register to report issues or otherwise use the bug reporting list. In the top right is a drop-down list to select a project. Select project Public (which you seem to already be in) and then Report Issue to be able to enter any sort of issue.

You can then use the same drop-down list to change the project to The List to see the list of community issue reports. Typically you can use the My View, View Issues, and Summary links near the top to get an idea of what's been reported.

tpope -> RE: Patch for Harpoon ANW 3.9.0 (7/25/2008 5:49:06 PM)

Ok thanks, I see it now.  I just had to select "all projects" from the dropdown to see the actual roadmap and full list.  Then I guess I use public to submit bugs.

That said, even assuming that I'll check to see if it's a known issue and/or already been fixed, is there any value to submitting bug reports for the demo version (3.9.1.0)?

rsharp@advancedgamin -> RE: Patch for Harpoon ANW 3.9.0 (7/25/2008 6:04:54 PM)

The value would be to get your questions answered even if they have been handled in later versions. This would be the same as using the forums here so, personally, I would stick with the forums until you update.

I will be updating the demo to 3.9.4 when it is released and plan to have all the tutorial issues fixed in that.

Thanks,

tpope -> RE: Patch for Harpoon ANW 3.9.0 (7/25/2008 6:08:32 PM)

Ok, I'll stick with the forums as I work my way through the tutorials and then go on to the USNI scenarios.  Thanks for the quick reply.

Tom

ssclark -> RE: Patch for Harpoon ANW 3.9.0 (8/4/2008 11:15:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rsharp@advancedgamin

The value would be to get your questions answered even if they have been handled in later versions. This would be the same as using the forums here so, personally, I would stick with the forums until you update.

I will be updating the demo to 3.9.4 when it is released and plan to have all the tutorial issues fixed in that.

Thanks,

This is great news. A few weeks ago I downloaded the demo and tutorials and had lots of problems. They certainly don't do the game justice, sadly.

Now, I did buy the game anyways (new on Ebay), but largely b/c I am an old H2 player (nostalgia?) and naval aficionado. Plus, I found out about the "bonus" databases out there, in particular the PlayersDB that keep the platforms and scenarios up to date.

Still, tutorials that work would hopefully bring in more players...

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI