Strategic Scale Games (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

pnzrldr -> Strategic Scale Games (7/27/2001 9:38:00 PM)

Once upon a time, at a university far, far away, I used to spend an inordinate amount of time late, late at night engrossed with a game titled "World In Flames." I feel certain many of you have shared this experience. I really liked it, far more than "Third Reich" but have found nothing comparable out there today. I'm looking into Matrix's "Pacific War" but didn't really like Grigsby's original treatment of the eastern front, so am unsure if I should invest the time in "Pacific War". I remember that two companies in the early nineties put out true WWII strat-level games, but one I didn't care for and I never saw the other. Does anyone have any advice on the best, (hopefully not too outdated) way to satisfy my craving for re-writing global history in WWII? WIF is not out for computer yet, so I am stuck on that for now. Who knows of other good ones I could look at? Please feel free to email me off-forum.

Marty 1 -> (7/27/2001 10:16:00 PM)

World in Flames is supposedly in development but I think it will be a while before it comes out, if every. Here is a link to a page on it. I would love to see it work. I'm like you, I like the strategic games and there are very few of them out for the computer. http://www.a-d-g.com.au/

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> (7/28/2001 5:03:00 AM)

Assuming you either meant the computer Third Reich (which was dumb as an ox) or just the original board game. You might be interested to know that Advanced Third Reich exists. Of course getting a copy of this old boxed game might require serious interest. I Own both Advanced Third Reich and most of the World in Flames component add on designs. Consensus seems to put A3R out in front for design excellence. But if you are looking for a game fix beyond Steel Panthers, have you tried Talonsofts Operational Art of War games. While not fuuuuully Grand Strategy in scope, it is all the same damn fine gaming (unless you cant play a game unless it has shiny bells and whistles, cause it not about glitz and sounds). I wouldnt set your hopes to far out there for WiF on the computer though. Wargaming AI are not that great in my pinion when trying to deliberately mimic a board game. I offer up Axis and Allies a game so simple, and yet they still cant make it think. Did you know though that with Warplanner software, you can play defacto a board game exact version of Advanced Third Reich over the computer?

Greg Wilmoth -> (8/5/2001 8:14:00 AM)

Hello S Coulson. What were the two computer global strategy games you remember? Does The Underdogs have them? Have any of you played the boardgame Totaler Krieg? I realize it's only the European Theater, but I'm fascinated by the Dice of Decision scenario generator. Which brings me to my last question. I've heard Days of Decision was a scenario generator for World in Flames. I went to the Australian Design Group website, and I saw Days of Decision II touted as a stand alone game. Does anyone know anything about it? Own it and played it? Reviews on the web? Thanks.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI