New Blood (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

tracer -> New Blood (3/30/2002 11:27:10 PM)

I can't get over this ongoing flood of new members; did Matrix run a commercial during the Super Bowl? Every day I'm spotting unfamiliar names, but what I really notice is the quality of the messages. Sure, many start off with a 'how do I...' post (this [I]is[/I] a help desk, after all), but within their first handfull they're contributing: suggestions, insights, ideas. I'm quickly learning not to look at a member's message count; besides, many probably lurked for a spell before joining in.

And a reminder to the 'tree stump' crowd (me?): if the tone of a new post isn't exactly within SPWAW community 'norms', don't pounce...prod ;) The character of this place will take care of the rest.

Goblin -> (3/31/2002 7:36:13 AM)

hey tracer,

as one of the "lurkers", and recent new member, thanks for the good words! most of my "how do i...?" stuff involves protocol for the forum, and actually using it! i have suggestions, insights, and ideas, but is it ok to just slap 'em down? i'll probably 4get 'em by then anyway....

Taglia -> (3/31/2002 8:51:44 AM)

I actually learned a lot of useful tactics reading the posts here ... and this make my PBEM games more challenging for my opponents :D

Bernie -> Re: New Blood (3/31/2002 9:07:09 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tracer
[B]I can't get over this ongoing flood of new members; did Matrix run a commercial during the Super Bowl? Every day I'm spotting unfamiliar names, but what I really notice is the quality of the messages. Sure, many start off with a 'how do I...' post (this [I]is[/I] a help desk, after all), but within their first handfull they're contributing: suggestions, insights, ideas. I'm quickly learning not to look at a member's message count; besides, many probably lurked for a spell before joining in.

And a reminder to the 'tree stump' crowd (me?): if the tone of a new post isn't exactly within SPWAW community 'norms', don't pounce...prod ;) The character of this place will take care of the rest. [/B][/QUOTE]

I just commented to someone the other day that it's semi-mind boggling to realize that this game is actually about 3 times older than the war it models. :) And that I've been playing it, in one form or another (all the way back to the original SSI Steel Panthers for the C-64) for almost two decades now.

Just consider, we have players just now discovering a game that is older than they are, about a war that their great grandfathers fought in! Amazing...

Marc von Martial -> (3/31/2002 9:09:55 AM)

[QUOTE]did Matrix run a commercial during the Super Bowl?[/QUOTE]

From next year on the Bud Bowl will be no more, we bought the rights and it will be renamed to Matrix Bowl. We´re not sure yet about what tank will play each other. Any input?

We´re also very glad about the rising amount of new posters here, something we all can profit from!

Bernie -> (3/31/2002 9:21:02 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Marc Schwanebeck
[B]

From next year on the Bud Bowl will be no more, we bought the rights and it will be renamed to Matrix Bowl. We´re not sure yet about what tank will play each other. Any input?

We´re also very glad about the rising amount of new posters here, something we all can profit from! [/B][/QUOTE]

Hmmm... I suppose it depends on the teams involved. It's pretty much a "given", at least here in Baltimore, that the Ravens will be there, but I just can't seem to visualize a purple Tiger.... :)

zaxilon -> I am another lurker and Old Time SPWAW'er (3/31/2002 9:27:28 AM)

I used to be on the WB's Raiders Scenario design team back when SPWAW was still in the works. I wrote campaigns and scenarios for Talonsofts campaign series while others were working on the SPWAW stuff. My life got too busy to keep up so I had to step down. Well I am back now and itching to get the complete V7.1 stand alone.

Later,
Zaxilon :D

Warrior -> Re: New Blood (3/31/2002 9:34:23 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tracer
[B]And a reminder to the 'tree stump' crowd (me?): if the tone of a new post isn't exactly within SPWAW community 'norms', don't pounce...prod ;) The character of this place will take care of the rest. [/B][/QUOTE]

You're absolutely right, and I'm guilty of pouncing all too often. I'll try to be a nice boy in the future. ;)

tracer -> (3/31/2002 10:03:29 AM)

Zax,
By 'new blood' I didn't mean to imply 'new to wargaming' or even to SP. The content of many of these new posts makes it clear they've been around the neighborhood for some time. But I'm also glad to see folks who've just discovered SPWAW; its their forum as much as anybody's.

Oh, and I'm sorry to hear you 'fell off the wagon' and picked up this addictive habit again ;)

Fallschirmjager -> (3/31/2002 10:05:59 AM)

[QUOTE]Hmmm... I suppose it depends on the teams involved. It's pretty much a "given", at least here in Baltimore, that the Ravens will be there, but I just can't seem to visualize a purple Tiger.... [/QUOTE]

Knowing the Nazis dislike of homosexuals I cant either...

tracer -> Re: Re: New Blood (3/31/2002 10:13:37 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by REMF
[B]

You're absolutely right, and I'm guilty of pouncing all too often. I'll try to be a nice boy in the future. ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

That 'check-fire' only applies to new members; if someone who knows better gets out of line they're fair game. :D

tracer -> (3/31/2002 10:26:36 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Goblin
[B]hey tracer,

as one of the "lurkers", and recent new member, thanks for the good words! most of my "how do i...?" stuff involves protocol for the forum, and actually using it! i have suggestions, insights, and ideas, but is it ok to just slap 'em down? i'll probably 4get 'em by then anyway.... [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, you'll know if you get ten replies that all say "huh??" that you may have 'slapped down' the wrong card. :D As far as I know there's no Matrix Penal Batallion, so you're safe...of course if such a formation exists I'd like to borrow it to clear some minefields in a couple PBEM games I have going on :eek:

badinfo -> (4/1/2002 5:00:00 PM)

I played SP1 a long time ago on a friends puter when we were taking a break from miniatures usually. Then several months ago I ran across the Matrix site and downloaded SPWaW and all the patches up to that point, then I got distracted by something or other and SPWaW sat in my download file till just recently. Considering the sleep deprivation I have been undergoing lately maybe I was better off leaving it in the download file instead of installing it lol. You guys have a great community here, I have been part of more than a few wargaming forums and this one is top notch. Very little of the petty bickering and idjits I see on some other forums, including ones I had hoped would be above such things ;)
Glad to part of such a group.
badinfo

Manx -> (4/1/2002 5:16:52 PM)

I spend most of my spare time being involved with COMBAT MISSION related stuff, but i try and find time to enjoy other QUALITY wargames too -- and i class SPWaW as being one of them.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI