Restrictions on Territorial Losses (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815

Trax -> Restrictions on Territorial Losses (6/17/2008 7:19:07 PM)

From the 1.02 addenda
Section: 6.4.3 Political Restrictions On Peace
Subsection: Restrictions On Territorial Losses
No major power may ever have its home nation reduced by more than a total of three provinces.

Following from this:

Is it true that a nation can never lose more than three provinces ever? ie. once Russia loses 3 provinces to France in 1808, then France (or any other MP for that matter) can not ever take an additonal province away from Russia?

NeverMan -> RE: Restrictions on Territorial Losses (6/17/2008 7:40:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trax

From the 1.02 addenda
Section: 6.4.3 Political Restrictions On Peace
Subsection: Restrictions On Territorial Losses
No major power may ever have its home nation reduced by more than a total of three provinces.

Following from this:

Is it true that a nation can never lose more than three provinces ever? ie. once Russia loses 3 provinces to France in 1808, then France (or any other MP for that matter) can not ever take an additonal province away from Russia?

It's not true in EiANW. Where is this Addenda from?

It seems that getting provinces from other countries in EiANW is odd, you can take more than three; however, there are some that you cannot "check" and don't show up to "check" in the box, which I find odd and am not sure why this is the case.

Personally, we always played that you could never have more than 3 home provinces taken from you.

ndrose -> RE: Restrictions on Territorial Losses (6/17/2008 7:49:57 PM)

The rules for which provinces you can select in EIANW seem to be as follows: You can select any province or minor that borders on your home nation or conquered minor or ceded province (but not free state). You can select any province or minor in which you have forces (any counter, any garrison, any blockading fleet--fleets in adjacent sea zone may also work, but I'm not sure of that). You can't select the capital province (for Russia, this is held to be Moscow; you can select Karelia if you meet one of the other conditions).

The only thing that seems a bit unpredictable is free states. Sometimes you can select them without meeting any of the conditions, so far as I can see. But then sometimes you can't. For instance, in a recent game I was playing Russia, at war with Turkey, which held Portugal as a free state. It was available to select, though I had nothing anywhere near it. But then it dropped off the list. I *think* the difference was that another power at war with Turkey blockaded Lisbon; maybe that reserves it for them or something.

NeverMan -> RE: Restrictions on Territorial Losses (6/18/2008 2:24:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ndrose

The rules for which provinces you can select in EIANW seem to be as follows: You can select any province or minor that borders on your home nation or conquered minor or ceded province (but not free state). You can select any province or minor in which you have forces (any counter, any garrison, any blockading fleet--fleets in adjacent sea zone may also work, but I'm not sure of that). You can't select the capital province (for Russia, this is held to be Moscow; you can select Karelia if you meet one of the other conditions).

The only thing that seems a bit unpredictable is free states. Sometimes you can select them without meeting any of the conditions, so far as I can see. But then sometimes you can't. For instance, in a recent game I was playing Russia, at war with Turkey, which held Portugal as a free state. It was available to select, though I had nothing anywhere near it. But then it dropped off the list. I *think* the difference was that another power at war with Turkey blockaded Lisbon; maybe that reserves it for them or something.

Yes, it seems fairly random. Can someone who knows address why you can select some sometimes and not others other times?

Marshall Ellis -> RE: Restrictions on Territorial Losses (6/18/2008 2:40:24 PM)

Actually in EiANW you can lose all but your home nation capital province.

Neverman:

The randomness you're seeing probably (guess here) stems from dynamic status of the province ??? (i.e. it is /is not eligible to be ceded).

NeverMan -> RE: Restrictions on Territorial Losses (6/18/2008 3:44:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

Actually in EiANW you can lose all but your home nation capital province.

Neverman:

The randomness you're seeing probably (guess here) stems from dynamic status of the province ??? (i.e. it is /is not eligible to be ceded).

I am confused, what do you mean by dynamic status of the province?

Marshall Ellis -> RE: Restrictions on Territorial Losses (6/18/2008 11:11:07 PM)

For example: If Baden is eligible when you select it BUT at the time of surrender, she is not (Perhaps due to the loss of another minor, etc) then you would see her NOT be ceded. I have seen this happen before if you do not refresh your surrender conditions before an anticipated surrender.

Again, this is a guess.

NeverMan -> RE: Restrictions on Territorial Losses (6/18/2008 11:30:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

For example: If Baden is eligible when you select it BUT at the time of surrender, she is not (Perhaps due to the loss of another minor, etc) then you would see her NOT be ceded. I have seen this happen before if you do not refresh your surrender conditions before an anticipated surrender.

Again, this is a guess.

I am still confused. Why is this good again? You have "check boxes" for a reason right? Why not let the user check whatever boxes he wants (boxes would be available for whatever the country has at the time checked) and then check to see if it is available when the surrender goes down. If it is not, then move on down the list, 1 by 1. This makes more sense to me. That way the user only has to "update" his surrender conditions if his opponent obtains some territory that he likes; otherwise, all is golden.

Also, I have been unable to select a home nations province (when it was available). I'm still confused as to why this is happening. Why is that? That is more of what I was refering to.

Marshall Ellis -> RE: Restrictions on Territorial Losses (6/18/2008 11:47:53 PM)

Neveramn:

You should be able to select home provinces??? I can do that now??? Do you have a specific case whwere you cannot?

delatbabel -> RE: Restrictions on Territorial Losses (6/19/2008 3:21:12 AM)

I have added the original request, that is to have restrictions on losses to no more than 3 provinces, as a game enhancement / feature request to the bug tracker. #110

I haven't seen or been able to identify any issues related to being able to select home provinces, or being unable to select eligible minors, but if someone can identify such an issue and create a save game file then it can be added to the bug tracker.

NeverMan -> RE: Restrictions on Territorial Losses (6/19/2008 5:16:50 AM)

Right now, I'm Austria and I can't select Pommerania or S. Pomm., is that because I don't have land bordering these provinces? Is that a rule?

delatbabel -> RE: Restrictions on Territorial Losses (6/19/2008 5:30:38 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: NeverMan

Right now, I'm Austria and I can't select Pommerania or S. Pomm., is that because I don't have land bordering these provinces? Is that a rule?

Yes, that is a rule.

You can only select provinces that you have a land border with, or that you have corps in. If you marched a corps to Pommerania and one to South Pommerania, you would be able to select those areas (but they would be ineligible if at the time of surrender you didn't have a corps there).

KenClark -> RE: Restrictions on Territorial Losses (6/19/2008 4:33:48 PM)

Neverman, what Marshall said about "dynamic" means this:
1. The rule says that for home provinces (not minor countries) you can only take them as surrender conditions if:
(a) you have a common border with that particular province or (b) you have a corps in that province.
2. So at some points in time you will have permission to take a certain province and other times you will not, depending on where your corps are (this is the "dynamic" aspect Marshall was talking about.

Hope that helps.

JanSorensen -> RE: Restrictions on Territorial Losses (6/19/2008 5:43:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: NeverMan

I am still confused. Why is this good again? You have "check boxes" for a reason right? Why not let the user check whatever boxes he wants (boxes would be available for whatever the country has at the time checked) and then check to see if it is available when the surrender goes down. If it is not, then move on down the list, 1 by 1. This makes more sense to me. That way the user only has to "update" his surrender conditions if his opponent obtains some territory that he likes; otherwise, all is golden.

NeverMan,

Thats a good idea. You should post that on the bug tracker as a suggestion if you have not already.

NeverMan -> RE: Restrictions on Territorial Losses (6/19/2008 8:13:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KenClark

Neverman, what Marshall said about "dynamic" means this:
1. The rule says that for home provinces (not minor countries) you can only take them as surrender conditions if:
(a) you have a common border with that particular province or (b) you have a corps in that province.
2. So at some points in time you will have permission to take a certain province and other times you will not, depending on where your corps are (this is the "dynamic" aspect Marshall was talking about.

Hope that helps.

I can't remember, does this rule hold true for minor countries?

Soapy Frog -> RE: Restrictions on Territorial Losses (6/19/2008 9:24:18 PM)

Minors can always be taken as surrender conditions, only Major Power provinces are so restricted.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI