Lost my c drive matrix games on F (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers

beserko -> Lost my c drive matrix games on F (6/23/2008 8:41:04 PM)

Well every Matrix game is non working. Error with serial number entered (not) been trying to reload games but it’s a long tedious pain in the butt! There is no installer for most of these as it usually one big exe file. Strategic Command 2 will not let me use number I have registered and the online registration program gives a WPE box. Generating a new PW to a URL says I didn't enter my license number correctly. I can't find my Advanced Tactics cd and the digital download must have been on C. Arrragh.....................
I have to do this with
Tin Soldiers: Julius Caesar
Crown of Glory: Europe in the Age of Napoleon
Starships Unlimited v3
Norm Koger's the Operational Art of War III
John Tiller's Campaign Series
John Tiller's Battleground Civil War
John Tiller's Battleground Napoleonic Wars
Battlefront
For Liberty!
UFO: Extraterrestrials
Advanced Tactics: World War II
And Battles of Alexander which I neglected to post the serial number with Matrix (guess that’s gone)

This is not fun. How about using the Stardock approach?
[sm=00000018.gif]

beserko -> RE: Lost my c drive matrix games on F (6/23/2008 8:49:18 PM)

Oh this is the message and I reloaded this on with my cd. I'd hate to lose all my mods! ---------------------------
The Operational Art of War
---------------------------
There is an error with your serial number as entered.  Please contact support@matrixgames.com for assistance.  Error Code: 300
OK  

Terl -> RE: Lost my c drive matrix games on F (6/23/2008 9:02:20 PM)

I am not clear as to what you actually tried to do but a question: Did you just try and copy the game folders from one drive to another without going through the installation procedure? If so, that is your problem. You need to actually reinstall the game.

If this is not what led you to this, please explain a little more [:)]

beserko -> RE: Lost my c drive matrix games on F (6/23/2008 9:13:14 PM)

Well I loaded my OS Win XP on a really fast Raptor(c) and my games on a really big Samsung(f)  I was haveing trouble with my 8800GTS's in sli when Nvidia hosed my windows. Fortunialy I used Acronis true image which gave me back my OS circa 11/07.  I'm pretty sure I will have to reload everything but there must be a better way. I have mods, maps and scenarios for TOW2 and Adv anced Tactics I would hate to lose.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Lost my c drive matrix games on F (6/23/2008 9:39:24 PM)

Beserko,

Copying the games over to another drive once installed is not how you back them up, that neglects to include any of the registry info created during installation, which is why you're getting those errors. What we've always said is to make a backup of the installer you download (the big exe file) then you can reinstall it whenever and wherever you want. As long as you have your order info, you can re-download your purchases via www.findmyorder.com and retrieve serial numbers there as well.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins -> RE: Lost my c drive matrix games on F (6/23/2008 9:40:14 PM)

If you have mods installed, then after you reinstall the game from the installer, copy over it with the backup copy you made that included your mods. That will get you the registry information properly setup as well as your modified files.

beserko -> RE: Lost my c drive matrix games on F (6/24/2008 1:45:23 AM)

I understand what your saying but I am not copying them over. I lost my c drive which I restored. My F drive was not affected, and to do what your saying is1) load the original setup file2) load the updates (again input the serial #)3) copy and paste the mods and scenarios into the correct folders. I have to do this for 12 games? how about a registry plugin for games I have paid for? This is not my problem, this is a copy protection scheme.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Lost my c drive matrix games on F (6/24/2008 2:49:31 AM)

Beserko,

Ok, so you lost your C: drive which had your operating system and all its settings. I'm sorry, but this is not something we can solve with a "registry plugin" nor is it our fault that this happened. A lot gets stored in the registry by games beyond just the serial number check and this is the same for lots of other program as well. Losing your entire system drive like that, you can expect to have to reinstall most of your software to allow it to work properly again.

My advice is to do the following:

1. Backup your current game files
2. Reinstall your games and update them to the same level they were
3. Copy any mods/scenarios/etc over from your current game files (or just copy the backed up game folder on top of the new one after installation, that will work too as long as you're at the same update level.

Regards,

- Erik

beserko -> RE: Lost my c drive matrix games on F (6/24/2008 3:31:16 AM)

grrrr...........  sorry Erik, backups don't work if your OS is hosed. Matrix entries in the registry consist of serial numbers and web adresses. I knew this would happen when I had to recover C. I was just hopeing for an easy out.I have many other games in F that work just fine because I have found "special" exe's. I just need to make a shortcut from the directory.At 12 games I'm one of your favorite customers. I could get advice like this talking to tech support in some "other" country. Well I digress, I sould spend the next day   1 finding cd's and installation exe's2 various patches (make sure my 16 number serials are handy)3 cut and paste by backups into the correct folder4 do this times 125 back up my OS post Matrix games instalation Or forget all this and get a girlfriend  [:-]

Erik Rutins -> RE: Lost my c drive matrix games on F (6/24/2008 4:48:22 PM)

beserko.

quote:

ORIGINAL: beserko
grrrr...........  sorry Erik, backups don't work if your OS is hosed.

You told me that you still had all your game files on your other drive, or did I misunderstand?

quote:

Matrix entries in the registry consist of serial numbers and web adresses.

Not for all our games and some games create their own entries elsewhere as well. There's no single solution for this.

quote:

I knew this would happen when I had to recover C. I was just hopeing for an easy out.I have many other games in F that work just fine because I have found "special" exe's. I just need to make a shortcut from the directory.At 12 games I'm one of your favorite customers. I could get advice like this talking to tech support in some "other" country.

I'm sorry for what happened, but I don't understand why you're mad at us. Reinstalling even 12 games does not take forever and it's the best way to make sure that each game is properly setup again. I can't wave a magic wand and do this for you and we certainly didn't cause your hard drive to fail, that's the real cause of your hassle. If you set aside the old files before reinstalling, then you can copy them back over and not lose any customizations either.

Regards,

- Erik

beserko -> RE: Lost my c drive matrix games on F (7/8/2008 5:36:05 PM)

An update on this disaster. I lost the download for advanced tactics, it must have been on C. All my others were in F. I will never do another direct download again! I even lost 6 months of mail which had my order number even though I registered my serial number. OK, water over the dam I say so I order a DVD with a manual(I like to support these kind of games)plus ACW. OK?  No............. I loaded it to C then copied all my mods n stuff from F to C and quess what!  Problem with serial number again[:@].................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................If you have mods installed, then after you reinstall the game from the installer, copy over it with the backup copy you made that included your mods. That will get you the registry information properly setup as well as your modified files.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Lost my c drive matrix games on F (7/8/2008 5:42:24 PM)

quote:

An update on this disaster. I lost the download for advanced tactics, it must have been on C. All my others were in F. I will never do another direct download again! I even lost 6 months of mail which had my order number even though I registered my serial number.

Note that if you go to www.findmyorder.com you can get a re-download link. If you don't have any of the info that lets you login there, then please e-mail me your personal info (to erikr@matrixgames.com) and I'll look up your orders. Registering preserves your serial numbers but does not keep a download, that's only through the store.

quote:

OK, water over the dam I say so I order a DVD with a manual(I like to support these kind of games)plus ACW. OK?  No............. I loaded it to C then copied all my mods n stuff from F to C and quess what!  Problem with serial number again[:@]

It sounds like you used a different serial number for your reinstallation than was in your original. If you use the same serial number for the reinstallation as the original backed up copy, then you shouldn't run into that problem.

Regards,

- Erik

beserko -> RE: Lost my c drive matrix games on F (7/8/2008 5:53:27 PM)

Give the man a cigar. It worked!  Now I can relax.............[sm=00000924.gif]

Erik Rutins -> RE: Lost my c drive matrix games on F (7/8/2008 7:27:41 PM)

quote:

Give the man a cigar. It worked!  Now I can relax.............[sm=00000924.gif]

Excellent, I'm glad you are back to fully operational gaming status. Sorry for all the hassle you went through.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI