An Englishman in New York (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> After Action Reports

Roger Neilson II -> An Englishman in New York (6/28/2008 6:11:54 PM)

Being the despatches of Colonel Arthur Lyon Fremantle. Coldstream Guards.

Roger Neilson II -> RE: An Englishman in New York (6/28/2008 6:52:32 PM)

To Viscount Palmerston, Prime Minister, British Empire

Sir, as directed I presented my credentials to the American Government in Washington and received accreditation as an official observer in this squabble between our ex-colonials.
In the first month of the conflict I have little of substance to report. You will doubtless be well informed about actual triumphs and reverses by the 'popular press' of which there is a large amount in this country.

I will attempt to disclose and provide an elucidation that goes underneath this in the hope that this will act as a small, but hopefully useful footnote for my betters.

In the border areas out west the Union forces have moved swiftly to secure territory west of the Mississippi, it would appear this was opposed by some half hearted militia who had rushed from their homes with whatever they had to hand. Likewise in West Virginia there have been unopposed moves to plant the Union flag. Aside from this there is much hooorahing, much bustle, and already there is a scent of money int he air for the factory owners who are gearing up to supply all and sundry items that the army will require, doubtless making a dollar or two in the process. There has been a draft declared and all over the country young men are rushing to enlist sometimes in most peculiar units. There is an air of amateurism around!

One significant issue is the appearance of a J.E.B Stuart, who led a cavalry foray into the environs of Washington, causing mush dis consternation, some panic, the destruction of some rail tracks and the burning of some supplies. The Rebels seem to have found a somewhat dashing and troublesome leader who has, in the first month show he can venture where he will and disrupt the peace of the country. It remains to be seen whether this cavalry raiding strategy is a sustained one or an opportunistic one - and whether the union will find a remedy for this.

My own humble opinion is that we shall see little serious campaigning this year, unless someone seizes an opportunistic moment, trounces the enemy and they sue for peace. More likely will be a time of training, equipping and moves after winter when the full campaigning season opens.

I shall endeavor to report on a monthly basis to your honorable person. I remain your most humble and obedient servant.

A.L. Freemantle, Col, Guards.

[image]local://upfiles/21586/4594147C001047768955BED8922EEBD5.jpg[/image]

Bo Rearguard -> RE: An Englishman in New York (6/29/2008 1:47:54 AM)

Sounds like the beginnings of a fine AAR. [8D]

Don't forget to occasionally wander about the hot humid battlefield in an immaculate uniform with a fine china teacup. [;)]

[img]http://neptoon.homestead.com/Freemantle.jpg[/img]

Roger Neilson II -> RE: An Englishman in New York (6/29/2008 6:20:38 PM)

September 1861

To Viscount Palmerston, Prime Minister, British Empire.

Another month into the conflict, and as I predicted there is little action. The Rebel Cavalry have become more audacious and have raided Washington again but also Frederick, Baltimore and Harpers Ferry destroying rail tracks at their leisure.It is also rumoured the Rebels are purchasing commerce raiders: this sir may have implications for our trade and also for the security of our own shipping. Of the border territories occupied by Union forces there has been no riposte from the rebels to date.

I am well able to travel at will in the North, and wherever I go am made most welcome at Union Headquarters. They are a strange mix of deadly earnestness and unrestrained posturing. There is often some disquiet amongst Union Generals, and indeed one is rumoured to have resigned after an argument with another over some slight that was felt to have been caused.

There is a Confederate raider at sea, and the union navy is in pursuit.

I remain, as always, your most humble and obedient servant.

[image]local://upfiles/21586/4B8B3D0EDE2C4D8B89C60B8D52BD0697.jpg[/image]

Roger Neilson II -> RE: An Englishman in New York (6/29/2008 10:41:51 PM)

October 1861

Sir
Should any right minded member of Parliament ever think that the South should be sympathised with I would ask them to reflect upon the events of the month of October 1861. The principle, as I understand it, of the whole fight that is now taking place is a fight for the supremacy of State against a Federal Government. How then does the violation of Kentucky’s neutrality by rebel forces sit with that morality I wonder? They have been ‘persuaded’ into the Confederacy at bayonet point this month.
As in previous months the Union cavalry seem to be mounted on donkeys for all the good they do. Stuart and his fellows continue to run rings round them
At sea we hear news that a Union ship has been sunk by a rebel commerce raider.
I remain your most humble and obedient servant.

[image]local://upfiles/21586/C2131F61570F4760AE27E4F56B7E72E3.jpg[/image]

WarHunter -> RE: An Englishman in New York (6/30/2008 9:04:56 PM)

Bacause of this AAR, i now know more about Col. Freemantle, than i ever did before. Thanks [&o]

Keep up the great AAR also [:)]

Grotius -> RE: An Englishman in New York (7/1/2008 6:05:57 AM)

I'm also enjoying this one. :)

Roger Neilson II -> RE: An Englishman in New York (7/2/2008 2:20:59 PM)

Novermber 1861
Sir
It would appear that the Union has some cavalry able to raid as well. Van Dorn's cavalry raids into Kentucky, meets with some success. However rebel cavalry raid Cairo and Washington again also raiding into the Aleghenies and around that area. Some shore batteries have been established by the rebels along the Kentucky stretches of the Ohio River and this is denying movement to Union transport vessels.

No other activity to mention. Overall the month shows signs that winter is closing in fast now.

[image]local://upfiles/21586/D0E2D742D2DB49538185207AA0C3F557.jpg[/image]

tocaff -> RE: An Englishman in New York (7/2/2008 4:11:37 PM)

Jolly good.................[:)]

Roger Neilson II -> RE: An Englishman in New York (7/3/2008 8:52:26 PM)

December 1861
Sir,
I have to report that the privations our troops suffered in the Crimea are being visited upon the Union troops in their own territory. A bitter winter, with no preparedness for the troops to be properly quartered is making for an increasing toll on even the fittest young men. It is to be hoped that in the next conflict that we are involved in we have taken better care of our troop’s needs in winter, or that we engage against some native force in somewhere warm like the Sudan or South Africa! We should not war in winter. I must assume, though I have no evidence, that the armies of the Confederacy suffer the same privations.
Out West, where the weather is more tranquil the Union have advanced on and taken Fayetteville. Confederate militia melted away when faced with this incursion. Union forces now bathe in the Arkansas River.
Two more Union ships succumb to the piratical Confederate raiders.

[image]local://upfiles/21586/696E22DCDFF04697AF6056B83EF5DD99.jpg[/image]

beevor_fan -> RE: An Englishman in New York (7/3/2008 10:59:02 PM)

Another great AAR going! Keep it up! 

Roger Neilson II -> RE: An Englishman in New York (7/4/2008 6:50:52 AM)

January 1862
Sir

It is deep midwinter, any sane gentleman resides in front of a log fire and waits for the Spring. J.E.B Stuart is not a sane gentleman. Yet again his cavalry swoop out of Virginia and tear up railroad tracks around the large Union supply depot of Harpers Ferry. An emulator of his also raids and destroys supplies at Fort Monroe. A small Union ‘police action’ establishes Cape Charles as being part of the union. I do suspect that my despatches may grow in length within the next two months as the armies shake off their winter clothes and stretch-out for Spring. The winter has not been a hindrance to the Union training, recruitment and equipping effort – I am staggered by the ability of this country to grow their capacity for warmaking.

[image]local://upfiles/21586/EECBF5D8CC2945BDAFC615820053D82F.jpg[/image]

Roger Neilson II -> RE: An Englishman in New York (7/5/2008 7:52:57 AM)

February 1862

Sir

I risk becoming tedious in my repetition. I will be brief. We witness again the usual cavalry raids, though increasingly the Union forces are able to field their own cavalry who at least mitigate, to an extent, the damage and pillaging that occurs. There are the first signs of spring in the air, and with it may come great battles.

[image]local://upfiles/21586/698C8DFB105D4A338A0D93406E60BE3F.jpg[/image]

Roger Neilson II -> RE: An Englishman in New York (7/5/2008 4:51:18 PM)

March 1862
Sir
It is tedious to report this War. It consists merely of skirmishes between cavalry. It seems that only men on horseback are prepared to do anything – they ride, they burn they tear up railroads tracks. The Union forces are becoming more skilled at intercepting these bands of raiders, but they are still proving of nuisance value.

The sick list continue to grow as the men wait out the weather in tent cities, with little field craft in terms of proper sanitation arrangements. I suspect that the rebel forces are doing little better.

If the intention of the Confederacy is to ride out any storm until the Union get bored and war weary they are doing well at present, they have hardly taken a blow, and every month that goes past shows them more skilled at maintaining their own affairs.

The one comfort for Mr Lincoln must be the continued thronging to the recruitment booths of young men eager for the adventure they perceive this war to be.

I do hear rumours that forces are on the move however, and that General Halleck has moved into the Ashland region of Kentucky unopposed.

News comes in of two more Union ships sunk by commerce raiders.

[image]local://upfiles/21586/F9C45AA9721240978FD2A95914E17D0E.jpg[/image]

Roger Neilson II -> RE: An Englishman in New York (7/6/2008 2:22:21 PM)

April 1862.

Sir

We have had a battle! Fayetteville, occupied shortly before the winter set in, and sitting on the North bank of the Arkansas River was attacked by troops under the command of General Van Dorn. General S Curtis faced off the invaders and routed them from the field. There are reports of 600 plus Rebel losses and ten artillery pieces destroyed. Union cavalry under General Sheridan pursued the beaten enemy to Fort Smith and then retired to Fayetteville.

Cavalry again raided Harpers Ferry and Franklin. It is confirmed that General R E Lee has been appointed as a Theatre Commander. Lee is a somewhat unknown General, and there are doubts as to his actual ability to fight as opposed to digging entrenchments.

The area of Pike, in Kentucky has been claimed by the Union troops under General Denver. General Stoneman’s cavalry reciprocate for the Rebel activity in a raid on Winchester and Manassas, tearing up tracks there.

In a new development I understand that Union forces have been landed at Roanoke Island off the North Carolina coast.

[image]local://upfiles/21586/FF0E5C1DB55E4C3B97D9EAAC943EA29A.jpg[/image]

Roger Neilson II -> RE: An Englishman in New York (7/9/2008 6:23:09 AM)

A week's pause in this.... action will resume around the 14th July....

Roger Neilson II -> RE: An Englishman in New York (7/12/2008 9:56:44 AM)

May 1862

Other than the normal raiding scouting there is little happening. It would appear that the confederacy is inclined to play a waiting game, whereas the Union is not yet inclined to decisive action at this point. Significant supply damage has been caused by Stuart’s cavalry. To Washington’s outlying depots.

I gather that the Union flag is flying over Roanoake island. One assumes this is to act as a forward supply base. General Stuart’s cavalry will need wings to raid there!

From the Union side come half hints that General Grant is on the move, and that union cavalry out west is becoming more inclined to take the war to the rebel territory than sit and wait for activity to occur. The recently occupied Fayetteville is now significantly housing a large union force.

I also have been informed that General Wallace‘s force, lately at Lexington, were observed to break camp and move south, at the same time General Halleck’s forces at Ashland have crossed the Kentucky River.

[image]local://upfiles/21586/2BD1B84B9046475B9FCD318AD2DB446D.jpg[/image]

Treefrog -> RE: An Englishman in New York (7/12/2008 7:35:14 PM)

Roger, going to the continent to enjoy Quatorze Juillet? Your war from the English point of view is inspiring.

Roger Neilson II -> RE: An Englishman in New York (7/13/2008 7:52:06 AM)

Trouble ahead......

Grins

Roger

Roger Neilson II -> RE: An Englishman in New York (7/13/2008 7:53:24 AM)

June 1862

Sir

The lands to the West of the Mississippi seem to be falling to the Union cause. General Grant has taken the west bank at New Madrid, Missouri and has now potential, it would seem, to unhinge the Confederate position at Paducah. Generals Halleck and Wallace have secured lodgements south of the Kentucky River . It has been a month of Union advances.
General Thomas advances from poplar Bluff into Newport Arizona and beats off any militia attempting to hold him back. We gather the general Curtis has advanced across the Arkansas and is facing a rebel force at Fort Smith.

A slashing raid by General Forrest causes mayhem in Cairo, Madison and Wabash, with supplies and rail tracks being consumed by the fast riding horsemen. The Union cavalry pursue, but with no discernible effect – it seems they chase shadows. Other Confederate cavalry raid Washington, Baltimore and Frederick. One wonders how long the Union’s population will stand in support of a government which cannot guarantee peace and prosperity in its own lands? The same could of course be said of the Rebels, who increasingly find their border areas are being treated to a ‘tit for tat’ action.

[image]local://upfiles/21586/1EEA9EC39CBF4BEE8A21430104E893CC.jpg[/image]

Roger Neilson II -> RE: An Englishman in New York (7/13/2008 3:42:30 PM)

July 1862

Sir

We are used to wars in an area where there is a compactness, where there is a narrow range of climate. The United States, or whatever it turns out to be, is vast and encompasses a range of climates, from the pleasant New England, to the humid and oppressive bayou areas that are almost like Africa. This past month has seen fighting along the whole frontage of the conflict.

A push into Cumberland, Tn by Gen’l McCook was pushed back by forces commanded by Gen’l Bragg, though the losses are reported slight. Gen’l Curtis’ move on Fort Smith, Ar suffered a greater repulse with the Rebel forces being stronger than might have been expected. At Winchester Gen’l Tyler advanced with his force to discover at least twice the enemy in place: he retreated but took a significant toll of the rebel forces for all he had to quit the field of battle. Louisville saw another engagement where the number fallen was roughly equal, though here Gen’l Smith was killed for the Union, and reports are that Gen’l Jones was also lost by the Rebs. At Glasgow Gen’l Wallace forced Gen’l Zollicoffer to retreat with a loss of more troops and a substantial number of artillery pieces.

Gen’l Forrest again committed damage to the union rail system in Cairo district. As usual the cavalry of Stuart and his subordinates make life miserable around Washington, this time having the audacity to raid as far north as Baltimore.

[image]local://upfiles/21586/4AF530A9E892477494A11F95301E8286.jpg[/image]

Roger Neilson II -> RE: An Englishman in New York (7/13/2008 6:27:55 PM)

August 1862

Sir,

Kentucky is falling under Union control. Gen’l Buell engaged a Rebel force in Louisville and pushed them back scoring a 4:1 casualty toll on the enemy. These battles are not without danger, another Union commander, Gen’l Wood has passed away due to wounds sustained in the battle.

Stuart and his riders continue to disturb the peace of any area worth raiding, this month reports come in that they have ranged as far as Gettysburg. I understand that Mr Lincoln rages and prays for a decent cavalry commander to combat this man and his troops.

I am given to understand that there is an ambitious co-ordinated move on Bowling Green in Kentucky, whether it works or not remains to be seen. It looks to be the largest troop movement of the War to date.

Huntington in W Virginia has been occupied by the Union forces under Gen’l Sumner.

[image]local://upfiles/21586/47EEF60058C84DA3898C18EBCFDA97F8.jpg[/image]

Roger Neilson II -> RE: An Englishman in New York (7/13/2008 9:34:51 PM)

September 1862

Sir

The bells ring out in Washington. There is great rejoicing. Gen’l McClellan has liberated Bowling Green and scored a major victory against the rebels who have fallen back into Tennessee. Only one small corner of Kentucky remains ungoverned by the Union.
In order to support McClellan’s drive a force from Cairo attacked Paducah as a diversion. This was, of course, beaten back by forces under, we gather, Gen’l R E Lee. This was not without loss, as over 4,000 casualties were taken and numerous artillery pieces lost. However, the pinning of much of the Confederate force here meant that they could not move to support in Kentucky. Likewise a diversionary move on Winchester sought to mislead the enemy. The battle of Bowling Green was joined, and although the losses on the Union side were significant (9,600 men and 10 artillery pieces) those on the Confederate side significant (6,600 men and 70 artillery pieces). In the grim arithmetic of war the Union can take these losses far more than their southern cousins.

IN the West Gen’l Sheridan’s fast riding cavalry overrun the enemy militia in Van Buren and Gen’l s’ Siegel and Reynolds follow close behind to seize possession.

Gunboats slip their moorings at Cairo, run the gauntlet of the Paducah shore batteries unscathed and send a Confederate gunboat scuttling downstream to Memphis.

Unfortunately the raiding of the southern cavalry continues, which puts a damper on the celebrations of this great victory.

[image]local://upfiles/21586/E07157342B9D458A979EF14A71350026.jpg[/image]

Roger Neilson II -> RE: An Englishman in New York (7/14/2008 8:24:40 PM)

October 1862

Sir

The weather begins to close in, winter approaches. Cavalry again ranges across the Union borders, becoming ever more audacious. They swoop down and attack units on march in area that are thought safe.

Little of moment to report at present.

Roger Neilson II -> RE: An Englishman in New York (7/15/2008 5:59:42 AM)

November 1862

Sir

A substantial setback for the Union. Forces already triumphant in the re-conquest of Kentucky followed up into Clarksville and suffered a severe drubbing. There are reported casualties of over 14,000 men whilst the rebel forces seem to have come off lightly with around 3,000 lost. The Union has lost a significant amount of its artillery train in the battle also. Northern Generals look glum. In Gallatin another battle occurs and it is reported that Gen’l Buford is wounded and Gen’l Ewing is killed with another disproportionate loss of 9000 Union to 1,000 Rebs. In what looks like another diversionary attack Hurlbut is thrown back at Paducah with a loss of 3,500 to 1,300.

In Madison, Gen’l Grant pushed the Rebs out of their defences to continue his southern drive.

There is the troublesome repeat of cavalry raids across the whole front.

Bells do not sound for victories in Washington. Indeed sir, the mood is very subdued as we look towards Christmas.

[image]local://upfiles/21586/E1D80AF9CABA4E6C88A58C7D66D48A7D.jpg[/image]

Roger Neilson II -> RE: An Englishman in New York (7/16/2008 6:55:57 PM)

December 1862

Sir

A bleak midwinter, little moves. The men on both sides are shivering and dying in their encampments. Even the cavalry remain at home!

Roger Neilson II -> RE: An Englishman in New York (7/18/2008 10:13:39 PM)

January 1863

Sir,

A new year begins, and with it no respite for the troops. There are tales everywhere of wretched conditions, of poor supplies, and of mounting sickness in the camps. It is generally to be wished that spring will come soon, though with it doubtless the unleashing of the terrible southern cavalry menace again.

Titanwarrior89 -> RE: An Englishman in New York (7/20/2008 1:59:45 PM)

Keep e'm coming.  I am enjoying these.[:)]

Roger Neilson II -> RE: An Englishman in New York (7/23/2008 8:37:00 PM)

February 1863

Sir,

As I have the ability to scan the casualty lists I must emphasise that we need to put energy into studying the effects of keeping lots of troops in close proximity to each other in poor accommodation. I gather that on both sides of the lines there are significant losses to disease and the cold.

Despite all the privations, men still stream to the colours, and the factories send out more and more war materials.

Roger Neilson II -> RE: An Englishman in New York (7/24/2008 5:12:31 PM)

March 1863

Sir

The Rebels are faster to react to the Spring, out west in Madison Gen’l Bragg crosses the Arkansas River and assaults Gen’l Grant’s forces with a 3:1 or better advantage and pushes him back from newly acquired territory. I gather Grant was less than pleased to discover his supporting Generals sitting in camps and not marching to his aid! I gather General Grant knows a few words normally only used by sailors!

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI