Brief Question (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

Tronjer -> Brief Question (6/29/2008 6:57:28 PM)

Well I don't know WITP yet but one thing I disliked about Grigsby's 12° Clock was the long realtime AI Phase were one couldn't take any adjustments and was sentenced to stare on the screen. This was as exciting as watching paint dry to me.

Is this similiar in WITP ?

Shark7 -> RE: Brief Question (6/29/2008 7:03:49 PM)

WITP is turn based, you issue your orders, then watch as the turn plays out. It can be 1 day turns, so you can adjust orders that way.

Also, if you like longer turn periods (IE 3 days) you can manually stop in the middle of the playback to issue orders. Keep in mind that the day you are currently in will finish, but you won't be forced to watch all 3 days play out if you see something you need to change on day 1 of the turn. This feature does not work for PBEM games though.

Tronjer -> RE: Brief Question (6/29/2008 7:19:56 PM)

What I'd like to know is, how long it takes for the AI to finish their turns. In 12° clock I was idle half of the time watching the computer play.

Gem35 -> RE: Brief Question (6/29/2008 7:31:36 PM)

It depends on the situation , at the beginning of the game turns can last several minutes and as the game wears on perhaps a few minutes. If you are involved in alot of combat, the combat replays can take some time but you don't have to watch if you don't want to.
The game is huge and very long. If you don't have patience and don't like micro-management , don't bother with this great game.

wernerpruckner -> RE: Brief Question (6/29/2008 9:12:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tronjer

What I'd like to know is, how long it takes for the AI to finish their turns. In 12° clock I was idle half of the time watching the computer play.

depends on the side you are playing
you can make it run faster with hitting the space key
or turn the graphics to the boxes and not the 3D aircraft
or reduce the message level

BrucePowers -> RE: Brief Question (6/29/2008 9:19:13 PM)

As said above, the more you or the AI does, the longer the turn. I have had AI turns take 15 minutes. You can shorten this with the exit arrow on the individual combat animations.

Shark7 -> RE: Brief Question (6/29/2008 10:07:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35

It depends on the situation , at the beginning of the game turns can last several minutes and as the game wears on perhaps a few minutes. If you are involved in alot of combat, the combat replays can take some time but you don't have to watch if you don't want to.
The game is huge and very long. If you don't have patience and don't like micro-management , don't bother with this great game.

that's right, you can turn off the combat animations which reduces turn time by about 75%. I personally like to watch them, just to see that big *MAGAZINE EXPLOSION* roll across the screen, but the combat animations are just fluff, you do not have to watch them. You turn them off in the game options menu before starting the game.

Oldguard1970 -> RE: Brief Question (6/29/2008 10:09:08 PM)

The speed of the AI's performance also depends on the characteristics of your computer.  In addition, if you want to minimize delay, you don't want to have other programs running in the background.

Of course, after you have gotten to know the game and used the AI as a training ground, you will probably migrate to "play-by-Email".  Wow!   What excitement that generates! 

khyberbill -> RE: Brief Question (6/29/2008 11:57:26 PM)

the ai typcally takes about 8 minutes on my computer. sometimes longer if i linger to watch 1000 pound bombs crunch the flight deck of the akagi[&o]. much shorter if i keep hitting the escape key. ymmv

niceguy2005 -> RE: Brief Question (6/30/2008 2:32:16 AM)

A lot of it also depends on the speed of your CPU.  When I upgraded my CPU it halved the time the AI takes.

However, this is not a game for the impatient.

Knavey -> RE: Brief Question (6/30/2008 4:35:42 AM)

quote:

Well I don't know WITP yet but one thing I disliked about Grigsby's 12° Clock was the long realtime AI Phase were one couldn't take any adjustments and was sentenced to stare on the screen. This was as exciting as watching paint dry to me.

Brief answer...NO. See notes above!

bradfordkay -> RE: Brief Question (6/30/2008 7:40:08 AM)

In one respect WITP is similar to Bombing the Reich in that you issue your orders once a day and then watch the day's action unfold. In WITP you can reduce the time it takes for the day to playout by adjusting the amount animations and/or information displayed while the turn processes.

If you want to be able to pause the action and issue new orders to your troops during the turn, then WITP is not going to be the game you want.

Because the game is so detailed and massive, the amoung of time spent watching the day's action unfold is miniscule compared to the amount of time you will spend examining the situation and issuing orders to your forces. The amount of time the AI spends planning its turn is even less than the amount of time spent watching the action. The vast majority of your time with this game will be spent with nothing happening other than you clicking on all your various units and issuing new orders.

Bogo Mil -> RE: Brief Question (6/30/2008 7:57:21 AM)

Thre AI movement phase can take a few minutes if your computer is slow. But you will need much longer to prepare a turn. Some people say they can make their turns in half an hour, but those probably trained a lot of RTS games and have a huge apm rate [;)]. A little break to make coffee is usually welcome.

When the AI did its turn, there is the combat resolution phase. If you turn off the animations and set a very short message delay, it should be finished in 1-2 minutes.

Chris21wen -> RE: Brief Question (6/30/2008 9:25:45 AM)

You asked a brief question nd got a long answer I see. All very true whats been said but you can also configure how long message, animations etc take. See the JPG but the max for any delay is 45 (secs I think) which is a very very long time.

[image]local://upfiles/5388/7494DE8968D9494FB942B0BB672EDD37.jpg[/image]

Apollo11 -> RE: Brief Question (6/30/2008 9:29:28 AM)

Hi all,

quote:

WitP is "WeGo" system (i.e. both players make their turns and then the turn is resolved on PC of the 1st player = Japanese player in WitP case)...

Leo "Apollo11"

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI