Why am I losing so many points? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States

hgilmer -> Why am I losing so many points? (6/29/2008 9:16:42 PM)

Ok, I know. Draft loses me 50 and I lost 1 strategic battle and a couple of others and invaded Ky first.

But I'm at 746 right now. I wish we had something to tell us how we are losing points. A little scorecard or something because this is getting bad.

Edit: I guess I should have said I have won some battles, too. I have won 1 strategic battle and 2 majors and a bunch of minor battles (5-6).

hgilmer -> RE: Why am I losing so many points? (6/29/2008 9:43:35 PM)

Losing 19 points a turn.  With nothing happening.  Seems steep!!

JanSorensen -> RE: Why am I losing so many points? (6/29/2008 11:20:10 PM)

As the Union you have to gain ground to get pp. If you just remain idle you will lose. It sounds like you are simply not gaining enough ground.

hgilmer -> RE: Why am I losing so many points? (6/29/2008 11:29:53 PM)

But 19 points? Wow.

It seems like I'll have to win a major battle every turn if I ever want to do the things I'm told I need to do like a draft, like invade Ky early, etc. And once you're in the hole you can't ever get back it seems.

JanSorensen -> RE: Why am I losing so many points? (6/29/2008 11:37:03 PM)

Its not so much the winning of major battles as its the conquest of land that gives you the pp gain you need.

Try adding up the values of taking KY, most costal areas and the Miss River area from Paducah to New Orleans. Thats alot of points - and those are the ones that will make you win the game.

In short - its very much intended that in order to win the game you need to do well :) It would not be much fun if it was easy anyway.

hgilmer -> RE: Why am I losing so many points? (6/29/2008 11:44:43 PM)

Do you think you could put out a "Very Easy selection on AI" patch, so I could play against that? [;)]

So far, in every major battle, I have had losses from 2 times my opponent to 4 times, even the wins and even ones where I outnumber him and am in defensive.  In turns I win major battles, I think I still lose points. I thought it was supposed to maybe not be the other way around, but he could lose a bunch of battles like this and attrit me to death.  He already has more units than I do.  I am at 638 points and can't really do a draft, not that the only one I tried did much good.

My naval units are all set up, and I get amphibious initiative and none of them will go anywhere, I get the grayed out thing on every one but 1.   

Joel Billings -> RE: Why am I losing so many points? (6/30/2008 12:00:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: hgilmer

Losing 19 points a turn.  With nothing happening.  Seems steep!!

19 points a turn doesn't sound right. This means you're only getting 8 points from your Army and Theatre Commander political points. You should be able to keep your PP losses down to around 12 per turn. There is an easy level for games against the AI if you want to try that at first.

Sounds like you don't have a link with both enough transport points in all areas and amphibious transport points in the last sea area in order to lift your units with amphib initiative.

hgilmer -> RE: Why am I losing so many points? (6/30/2008 12:09:45 AM)

I'm already on easy. [:D]

Treefrog -> RE: Why am I losing so many points? (6/30/2008 1:09:21 AM)

Both sides lose political points every turn, even if they do nothing.

Therefore to keep PPs high you must be moving forward (you add the PP of the region and your opponent loses those PPs).

If you are losing most of the battles, consider how you are fighting them:[&:]

Do you scout the enemy before you go in and/or is the enemy outscouting you? [:-]
Do you outnumber him?
Does your leadership get the troops committed (watch the battle screen to see how many troops are committed to begin with and how many join later)?
Are your troops supplied?
Is you infantry trained (they roll 7 dice[:D]; militia roll only 6; big difference)?
Are you bringing enough artillery?
Is the enemy entrenched or fortified?
How is terrain effecting your approach march and battle?
Is he reacting well?[:(]
Can you interdict his reaction forces? [&o]

hgilmer -> RE: Why am I losing so many points? (6/30/2008 2:12:27 AM)

Well, I was winning most battles in my most recent one.  But Ky and the Draft put me at a disadvantage and people keep telling me that the union doesn't stack up well early, so in that case, I don't seek battle so much, bingo, already down to about 900 after a few turns.

Titanwarrior89 -> RE: Why am I losing so many points? (6/30/2008 2:19:24 AM)

Time is on the Rebs side.[:D] 

Grotius -> RE: Why am I losing so many points? (6/30/2008 6:58:48 AM)

Have you filled all your Theater and Army Commander slots? I think you lose more points if you haven't. (Er, correct me if I'm wrong about that.)

hgilmer -> RE: Why am I losing so many points? (6/30/2008 12:36:07 PM)

Well, I didn't replace Scott for a few months because he only resigned, but then I finally replaced him.

tran505 -> RE: Why am I losing so many points? (6/30/2008 9:06:08 PM)

I believe the political value of the 2 TC's plus the 4 AC's get ADDED to your PP each turn. This will slow down the PP cost for "doing nothing" and is a consideration when selecting who to place in one of those slots.

P

WarHunter -> RE: Why am I losing so many points? (6/30/2008 9:14:09 PM)

Here is the exact quote from the rules 15.0  It should shed some light on the hemoraging political points.

quote:

Political Point Adjustment: Once a month, during the Pre-Movement Logistics Phase of their respective turn, each side will automatically lose a fixed number of political points. The Union player loses 27 political points while the Confederate player loses 9 political points. Also during their respective turn, each player will gain a number of political points equal to the combined values of the political rating of all of its Theatre and Army Commanders. If the player has less than six Theatre and Army Commanders combined, they will receive one political point for each of the six slots that are vacant.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI