Multiple Location Attacks (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Road to Victory

LuckyJim1006 -> Multiple Location Attacks (7/27/2008 2:53:27 PM)

Can I just ask what is the logic behind the use of Multiple Location Attacks ? I seem to be only be able to perform 1 per turn with units although the same units can go on to attack individually.

Is is a reflection on command and control breaking down after the initial coordinated attack ? If so there may be scope to allow certain commanders the ability to do more than 1 per turn.

Only played the Poland Campaign but I am starting to see I will love the AP idea.

Reminds me of the GDW boardgame 'Across the Rhine' where you had impulses in a game turn.

Chris

comrade -> RE: Multiple Location Attacks (7/27/2008 3:44:07 PM)

Like you said, this rule reflects c&c breaking down after the initial attack but there's also game balance reason behind it: If you could attack the same enemy unit from many directions more than once in a turn it'd be very easy to destroy it, as the subsequent attacks would usually be at very high odds.

For example:

You attack with say, 5 units; total modified attack strength is 5 (each attacking unit contributes a strength of 1), defence strength is 1. Odds are 5:1, D6 for defending unit is 3 which means 50% str. losses, for attackers D6 is also 3 which is 'exchange' (find CRTs in consts.csv). 50% from 1 is 0.5, so attacker loses half strength point, and attacking also lose 0.5 total - this is distributed proportionally among them (in this case, each attacking unit will lose 0.1 strength).

After such attack you still have 5 units, each with 0.9 strength, totalling 4.5 strength against 0.5 strength enemy. If you could repeat attack from all 5 directions it'd be at max odds - too easy [:)]. This is why you have to finish off the defender with individual attacks, first of which would be on 1:1 or wait till the next turn. So this rule involves some tactical decision-making and adds a bit of flavor to the game, still keeping it simple.

Anraz -> RE: Multiple Location Attacks (7/27/2008 4:04:32 PM)

quote:

Can I just ask what is the logic behind the use of Multiple Location Attacks ? I seem to be only be able to perform 1 per turn with units although the same units can go on to attack individually.

Well I may add some philosophy to it ;)
MLA is a kind of equivalent of well prepared concentric attack and as in real life a single unit cannot participate in different concentric attacks attack at the same time, because any unit cannot be in different place at the same time ;).
Individual attacks after MLA may be interpreted as benefit of unit mobility, which allow to make some occasional, unprepared attack - single attack give -20% penalty.

LuckyJim1006 -> RE: Multiple Location Attacks (7/27/2008 5:00:43 PM)

Understood and I think it is the right decision. I am starting to think that this could be the Strategic Game of WW2 I have been looking for.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI