RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Apollo11 -> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (8/8/2008 5:52:53 PM)

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adnan Meshuggi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Japan

The Best Serialprodused (BY FAR THE BEST)  Hand Weapon of WW2 was by far the STG44 - Sturmgewehr 44

Thay Prodused in  430 000 in Total.   Note that this is the Best Serialproduced Weapon only. (IMHO)

[image]http://i38.tinypic.com/y2ghs.jpg[/image]

Well, the STG44 was a revolutionary weapon, but still with pistol ammo, the short cartridge.

The idea to make a rifle cartridge automatic weapon, the final solution, was made by a certain russian who was deeply inspired by this weapon. His weapon will be remembered as the finest automatic rifle in the world, the AK47. (and yes, i know that now other ars are better - but how many of them had been used/produced and work after been mistreated like the ak47?

For MGs, the MG42 was and is the best maschinegun of the world. It is to heavy for modern warfare, but an enemy aproaching this weapon will be in deep trouble.

I would not say that Ammo for German StG-44 "7.92x33mm Kurz" is pistol ammo!

True, this ammo was shorter than, at that time common, rifle cartridge but it was very similar (size, weight, energy) to Russian "7.62x39mm" that was used in AK-47 few years later...

Thus, IMHO, German StG-44 was true "Asault Rifle" in full meaning of the world (including ammo)!

Leo "Apollo11"

Japan -> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (8/9/2008 4:22:45 AM)

The FG42 was the most Advansed  Small Arms Weapon of WW2.

With a Closed Bolt System, evan today we design modern weapons based on its plattform.

[:)]

DW -> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (8/9/2008 6:37:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

It is interesting to consider whether pistols really matter. I mean, imagine a Division or Brigade or whatever where NO PISTOLS were issued. Would it _really_ have mattered?

From my readings, it seems that the primary function of a pistol was to provide souvenirs to the opposing forces. [:)]

wdolson -> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (8/9/2008 12:10:29 PM)

A pistol does make for a light weight and easy to carry backup weapon. 

Bill

Anthropoid -> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (8/9/2008 3:10:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson A pistol does make for a light weight and easy to carry backup weapon. 

Bill

True enough. But then a Gladius makes for a lightweight and easy to carry backup weapon TOO! [;)]

This doesn't really answer my original question though

quote:

It is interesting to consider whether pistols really matter. I mean, imagine a Division or Brigade or whatever where NO PISTOLS were issued. Would it _really_ have mattered?

I almost tend to think DW is right and "primary function of a pistol was to provide souvenirs to the opposing forces."

Well that, and the other thing being a "Comfort Object". I'm not trying to be a smart-ass or patronizing here, just trying to think creatively about the role that small arms played in tactics and emergent win-loss phenomenae.

I seriously doubt that a company of seasoned infantry would be demoralized in prepping for an attack on an enemy position knowing that "every man over there has a rifle, AND a pistol." Moreover, pistols are so inaccurate, have such low magazine capacity, and (generally) so much less power, I reckon the contexts in which they are truly "useful" (and excluding those situations in which the soldiers primary weapon has become unuseable for some reason) are fairly uncommon, and indeed bleak. Meaning: unless you are a Tunnel Rat, or something similar, the only time a pistol would seem to be truly useful is if the enemy is in the process of breaching a hard point. And even then, if the enemy has thrown explosives, or flame throwers or some similar technology that allows them to standoff and introduce a destructive device with a large kill zone inside the hard-point, what use is a pistol!?

Mynok -> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (8/9/2008 8:18:49 PM)

Pistols were necessary for weeding out incompetent officers. If they blew their toe off, they were sent to non-combat postions. [:'(]

Joe D. -> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (8/10/2008 3:27:43 AM)

quote:

... So you'd consider the B.A.R. an "automatic rifle" not a "machine gun?" Please, elaborate

BAR = Browning Automatic Rifle

It didn't have a high rate of fire, or a large magazine, but Clyde Barrow sure swore by it.

Sardaukar -> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (8/10/2008 8:39:25 AM)

Suomi SMG is definitely better than Sten or Thompson or Grease Gun when it comes to performance. PPsH-41 is supposedly derived from it via stolen blueprints.

Check quite comprehensive article here:

http://guns.connect.fi/gow/suomi1.html

Weapon proved to be excellent in WW II.

anarchyintheuk -> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (8/11/2008 8:15:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

quote:

... So you'd consider the B.A.R. an "automatic rifle" not a "machine gun?" Please, elaborate

It didn't have a high rate of fire, or a large magazine, but Clyde Barrow sure swore by it.

The guys that shot him did as well.

m10bob -> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (8/11/2008 9:44:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

quote:

The guys that shot him did as well.

True, most of Texas Ranger Frank Hamer's people had the BAR, and the BAR had AP capability, depending on the round carried, and with a longer barrel than the M1 Garand, was a favourite as used for more difficult target buildings when a nice .50 cal weapon was not available.
According to Hogg's book, it was America's answer to the French idea of "marching fire", and was originally issued with a carrying strap which allowed the user to fire it while advancing since the thing had such a heavy recoil, preventing accurate shoulder-fire by any but the biggest users.

http://texashideout.tripod.com/guns.html

mdiehl -> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (8/11/2008 9:49:31 PM)

Really depends on the job and what one means by "small arm."

I also like the STG-44. Range-accuracy wise, it does not compare well with the M1 Garand, but it is a great all around mil firearm. Nostalgic as I am for the Garand, if I was forced into a war, and if I had to choose the lesser of two weevils, I think I'd grab the STG-44.

For a sidearm the Colt 1911 still floats my boat.

If I thought I'd be in relatively open ground all of the time, I'd want a Garand, because I can shoot well enough to make the range work for me.

Is Ma Deuce a "small arm?"

m10bob -> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (8/11/2008 9:54:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdiehl

I also like the STG-44. Range-accuracy wise, it does not compare well with the M1 Garand, but it is a great all around mil firearm. Nostalgic as I am for the Garand, if I was forced into a war, and if I had to choose the lesser of two weevils, I think I'd grab the STG-44.

If I thought I'd be in relatively open ground all of the time, I'd want a Garand, because I can shoot well enough to make the range work for me.

I too prefer the M1911a1 as a sidearm. I carried it every day I was in combat and I did use it.
I still keep the M1991 and an M1911a1.

My dad,(vet of two war's, ) preferred the Browning Gran Puissance.....
Whatever works..

Zakhal -> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (8/11/2008 11:39:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl
Actually it made up for it with a prodigious number of radios at all levels and the most modern and effective artillery fire direction system in the world.

Ive heard the same been said abt the finnish artillery. They had a system that wasnt revealed even to their allies (germans). Someone in the net had allready responded to the topic so I quote him:

quote:

Hello!

You wrote:
"the US artillery, which was definately the world's most sophisticated in WWII"

You know Finnish texts say the same thing about our own artillery. True or not, can't say. May be patriotism. You might be interested to find out what is correct, though.

But fact is Finnish fire observer could direct fire of all the artillery which had the target within their range. This even before WWII. I've seen written that US adopted similar system (to Finnish one) later. With their wast resources US system probably was "more sophisticated". In Finland communications were big problem, too few radios, unreliable field telephone cables etc.

Also one major principle about Finnish artillery was to get as much as possible first rounds hitting the target simultaneusly thus increasing surprise and havoc. This meant different batteries fired in different times but their first rounds hit target simultaneusely. And target areas were much smaller than for example Soviet had. Actually I've seen in calculated that in the area where Finnish artillery hit the concentration of fire could be actually higher than Soviets were able to produce (their artillery fire was more like area bombing). I think the best example of the effectivity of Finnish artillery was at Tali July 4th.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/116312/message/1061195068/Finnish+artillery

quote:

What I have understood from this forum and other the Finnish and US systems had a lot of similarities. The US system was worse in one aspect and that was that the values for the guns had to be precalculated in order to be able to direct the fire. Once the calculations were done fire could be concentrated and a single FO could command almost any number of batteries. US army had not placed the same emphasis on producing maps as the Finns had and they also had much larger areas to map as potential battle grounds.

Novelty of the Finnish system was based on good maps and a simple looking device that gave the needed values for the guns when it was placed on the map the right way. After the device was invented in 1943 the FO needed to know only his position on the map and estimate the distance and direction to the target. He did not need any other information.

All that was needed was a connection by radio or by phone to the artillery communication network and all was set. The artillery commander gave the commands to all artillery units that were to shoot, including heavy mortars of the infantry. When everything was ready he informed the FO: "ready". Then it was up to the FO to give fire commands directly and to make any corrections into the fire with simple commands like "left 200 (meters)". Depending on the case it could be that one battery was shooting or that the whole artillery force within range gave it's "comment". Density of fire could go up to 10 tons/hectar/minute and the target size was usually 300*100 m allthough it could be bigger. 30 seconds and 1 minute were the standard durations of fire but at times even 15 seconds was used. In some special cases fire could last longer than 1 minute but that was uncommon.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/116312/message/1061205956/Allthough+the+question+was+about+Soviet+artillery

Big B -> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (8/12/2008 2:00:24 AM)

Hmmm, Garand vs Stg-44.
Hard comparison. The Stg-44 definitely offers a greater volume of fire - beyond question, whereas the Garand is better in every other category; reload time - Garand, accuracy - Garand, reliability - Garand, hitting power and penetration - Garand, hand to hand combat tool - Garand, weight - Garand. Also, the Garand can pump out 8 rds in 2-3 seconds...semi-controllable(close up) giving it a respectable close-in value as well.
The Stg-44 still does have it beat in burst fire - without a doubt.
Furthermore, the Stg-44 is unquestionably the firearm type all nations went to by the 1960s; although, personally, I have never quite thought that was the best decision for a general issue battle rifle...but the world thinks otherwise. (If it were my choice I would have preferred an M-14, G-3, L1A1, SVD type weapon to the modern assault rifle.)
quote:

Not exactly - but it most definitely falls into the category of anti-personnel infantry machine gun...for comparisons sake.
quote:

Anthropoid -> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (8/13/2008 5:05:00 AM)

quote:

Furthermore, the Stg-44 is unquestionably the firearm type all nations went to by the 1960s; although, personally, I have never quite thought that was the best decision for a general issue battle rifle...but the world thinks otherwise. (If it were my choice I would have preferred an M-14, G-3, L1A1, SVD type weapon to the modern assault rifle.)

It is interesting isn't it? I'm no expert so correct me if I'm wrong but, the basic technology for the assault rifle to have been developed (had 'officials' given it enough interest) existed toward the end of WWI. I've heard tell that one of the main reasons that military planners did not want to equip infantry with automatic rifles was the fear that common soldiers would just waste ammunition. Perhaps this partly explains why the StG44 did not get into mass production and distribution till too late. Not until some thinkers realized . . . "Okay, look at how these battles played out . . . most of the fighting was at fairly cloes quarters . . . if we had had automatic weapons as the standard issue rifle, we coulda won . . ." too late . . .

The only reason I can reasonably imagine for why battles were fought at close quarters (and again correct me here if I'm talking ****e): more trucks allowing more mobile deployment of infantry and forcing battles fought in a less static, opportunistic/surprise sort of manner as in WWI?

gladiatt -> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (8/13/2008 10:17:15 AM)

Ahemm....i thought a weapon was dangerous only if the guy holding it aim it at you, whatever the type of weapon....

I also thought that determination, training, courage, made a great difference in the use and effect of a weapon ...?

Sorry to hijack a very technical thread

mikemike -> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (8/13/2008 5:21:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: gladiatt

Ahemm....i thought a weapon was dangerous only if the guy holding it aim it at you, whatever the type of weapon....

I also thought that determination, training, courage, made a great difference in the use and effect of a weapon ...?

Sorry to hijack a very technical thread

That kind of thinking is wide-spread, especially in conservative military circles. It already made the French throw their elite armored shock cavalry - the knights - against that rabble of English with their puny bows at Agincourt - and we all know how that went.

Seriously, if you have on one side Captain America, armed with a Smith&Wesson .38 Special and on the other side a cowardly, puny Arab with an AK-47, who would you bet on? There's this old saying that "quantity has a quality of its own".

Finally, a determined guy with a gun is dangerous, but a frightened guy with a gun is rather more dangerous, something that you can frequently see in U.S. news. I remember an occasion where a man thought he heard burglars at his front door. He manfully defended his family and property by firing a shotgun through the closed door. This killed his daughter who had returned late from a party.

mikemike -> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (8/13/2008 5:42:31 PM)

quote:

It is interesting isn't it? I'm no expert so correct me if I'm wrong but, the basic technology for the assault rifle to have been developed (had 'officials' given it enough interest) existed toward the end of WWI. I've heard tell that one of the main reasons that military planners did not want to equip infantry with automatic rifles was the fear that common soldiers would just waste ammunition. Perhaps this partly explains why the StG44 did not get into mass production and distribution till too late. Not until some thinkers realized . . . "Okay, look at how these battles played out . . . most of the fighting was at fairly cloes quarters . . . if we had had automatic weapons as the standard issue rifle, we coulda won . . ." too late . . .

The only reason I can reasonably imagine for why battles were fought at close quarters (and again correct me here if I'm talking ****e): more trucks allowing more mobile deployment of infantry and forcing battles fought in a less static, opportunistic/surprise sort of manner as in WWI?

Analysing the battles of WWI, military thinkers in Germany came to the conclusion that the average soldier, firing the average service rifle, doesn't hit much of anything at ranges above 200-300 metres in combat. Traditional thinking had been that mass-firing rifles at long range would be effective, in the way that massed rifle (or musket) fire had been effective in previous wars. Yet that kind of tactic couldn't be employed in WWI terms anymore. So a shortened type of rifle cartridge was developed that had an effective range of about 300 metres, saving weight and production costs per round, and it was found that the cartridge could be fired from a fully automatic weapon with reasonable accuracy. The prototype of the StG44 was ready for series production in 1942/43, and small quantities went into combat trials, but Hitler forbade production of the weapon because he was afraid a second type of rifle cartridge would disrupt the supply chain for ammunition. He reversed that decision in 1944 only because combat units were clamoring for the weapon. The risk of far higher ammunition consumption was appreciated, but it was thought that the soldiers would keep adequate fire discipline. You may know that the British Army removed the full auto capability from their version of the FN FAL rifle for similar reasons. Conversely, one gets the impression that US soldiers use their M16s in full auto only, there's probably always enough ammo around.

Fear of disrupting the supply chain or arms production was a phenomenon that kept a number of advanced weapons from going into production in Germany during WWII.

DW -> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (8/13/2008 6:09:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikemike

quote:

Analysing the battles of WWI, military thinkers in Germany came to the conclusion that the average soldier, firing the average service rifle, doesn't hit much of anything at ranges above 200-300 metres in combat. Traditional thinking had been that mass-firing rifles at long range would be effective, in the way that massed rifle (or musket) fire had been effective in previous wars. Yet that kind of tactic couldn't be employed in WWI terms anymore. So a shortened type of rifle cartridge was developed that had an effective range of about 300 metres, saving weight and production costs per round, and it was found that the cartridge could be fired from a fully automatic weapon with reasonable accuracy. The prototype of the StG44 was ready for series production in 1942/43, and small quantities went into combat trials, but Hitler forbade production of the weapon because he was afraid a second type of rifle cartridge would disrupt the supply chain for ammunition. He reversed that decision in 1944 only because combat units were clamoring for the weapon. The risk of far higher ammunition consumption was appreciated, but it was thought that the soldiers would keep adequate fire discipline. You may know that the British Army removed the full auto capability from their version of the FN FAL rifle for similar reasons. Conversely, one gets the impression that US soldiers use their M16s in full auto only, there's probably always enough ammo around.

Fear of disrupting the supply chain or arms production was a phenomenon that kept a number of advanced weapons from going into production in Germany during WWII.

While I'm not an expert on small arms, It's my understanding that the full auto option was removed on later models of the M-16 and replaced with a three round burst option.

I don't know the logic behind the move, but ammunition consumption and the tendency of Vietnam era troops to spray un-aimed fully automatic fire would seem likely.

m10bob -> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (8/13/2008 6:22:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DW

quote:

quote:

While I'm not an expert on small arms, It's my understanding that the full auto option was removed on later models of the M-16 and replaced with a three round burst option.

I don't know the logic behind the move, but ammunition consumption and the tendency of Vietnam era troops to spray un-aimed fully automatic fire would seem likely.

We did not do that as often as you might think, because the early M 16 would jam after 50 rounds.....

goodwoodrw -> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (8/14/2008 12:03:28 AM)

I'm amazed the bren gun hasn't got a single mention on this thread, a nice light machine gun for section level support. in the Australian Regular Army were using them 40 years after WW2 rebored to 7.62. They were a versatile weapon, they were used as a light AA gun as well.
Ron

Big B -> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (8/14/2008 3:16:59 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob
We did not do that as often as you might think, because the early M 16 would jam after 50 rounds.....

Come on now Bob, by 1969 the M-16A1, and cleaning kits got that squared away[;)][:D]
Seriously though, by 1980, I was involved in a live fire exercise where my Battalion drove our tracks all day in the desert, our M-16's were so coated with dust we had to blow on them to get that fine grit out of the bolt area, and proceeded to have a $2 Million Dollar shoot.
We fired that many dollars worth of ammo in 4.2" & 81mm Mortar, coupled with M2.50 cal and .30 cal M-60 machine-gun...and .223 M-16 live fire for 3 hours continuous.
I still have permanent hearing damage from that day (I was completely deaf for 24 hours - my stupidity). I fired over 2,000 rds from my M-16A1 non-stop (single action)...the damned gas tube over the barrel was glowing as red as a stop light when we finished....but not a single jam from that dusty rifle. I will admit it made a believer of me that night for it's reliability.

quote:

ORIGINAL: BASB

I'm amazed the bren gun hasn't got a single mention on this thread, a nice light machine gun for section level support. in the Australian Regular Army were using them 40 years after WW2 rebored to 7.62. They were a versatile weapon, they were used as a light AA gun as well.
Ron

The Sten was a good sub-machine-gun too[;)]
Oopps - hey I said the BREN was a good S.A.W. earlier - above...

goodwoodrw -> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (8/14/2008 6:12:11 AM)

sorry Big B missed your quote bout the bren. the truth of it all is what a digger is comfortable with. i couldn't hit the side of a barn at 300 metres with a SLR L1A1 or anything at any range with a F1 SMG, but with a Aug Steyer, I could hit most things most of the time.

ANZAC_Tack -> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (8/14/2008 6:51:55 AM)

i agree with most

rifle bolt action:lee enfield.
rifle semi auto:Garand m1
rifle carbine: M1a2 carbine
SMG: Owen Gun(cheapest to make,most reliable smg ever produced)of eurpoean theatre Ppsh41 was best,and still chosen by 'some' US forces.
assult rifle:stg44
LMG:BAR (the PPd28 and Bren(used well into 90's by commonwealth forces) gun also high)
MG Mg42(mg3 is basically the same,still in use even as original)
HMG: browning .50(says it all, still used today by so many its not funny)

gladiatt -> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (8/14/2008 7:12:24 AM)

quote:

Seriously, if you have on one side Captain America, armed with a Smith&Wesson .38 Special and on the other side a cowardly, puny Arab with an AK-47, who would you bet on? There's this old saying that "quantity has a quality of its own".

Well, just reverse the position: if a guy from a high-tech army, with a high-tech rifle, is just hiding behind a wall, waiting for renforts (air support, artillery, tank, whatever could "help" him), because he is afraid, would he take the best on that partisan (call him "Mujahidin" or "yougoslave resistant" during wwII, or tchadian, or else...) aiming at him with an old rifle, few ammo round, no logistical supply chain behind him, but the willing of defending it's country, familly, or faith ?
Of course, two guys from opposite armies, with high-tech weapons, aqually trained and determined could fight, and the one with the most powerful/long range/reliable rifle wild take the best. But how often does it happen ?

ANZAC_Tack -> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (8/14/2008 7:34:27 AM)

I love the jackie brown quote:
"when you absolutely positevely have to kill every motherf*%$#% in the room, accept no substitute for the AK47"

i hade a copy of the SKS,SKK with 30rd mag,the SKS was a awsome weapon of the day,10 rd semi auto,shorter then most rifles,but i could shoot a mans head at 300M.later versions automatic with 30 rd, very reliable,but more expensive to make then ak47 i believe.awsome rigle to have in 1945.it would be my first choice of wwII weapons for reliability,firepower and ease of use.

Coolness -> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (8/15/2008 3:46:11 PM)

The russian PPS-41 was mainly a copy of the finnish Suomi M-31.

The soviets used the first copied the drum magazine to their PPD-40 submachine and later when the Suomi KP was found to be superior weapon in Winter War, they made a newer version the PPS-41 again using many features from Suomi KP. The Suomi KP was still more accurate and more realible than the soviet counterpart. It used slightly smaller bullets (Suomi KP: 7,62x22, PPS-41: 7,62x25), but the same 71 bullet magazine.

There is although one thing better in the PPS-41. It was so much easier and faster to make as a mass product, but that also made the quality of the weapon a bit worse.

So I would say that the finnish Suomi M-31 is better than the russian PPS-41.

Anthropoid -> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (8/15/2008 6:10:26 PM)

Interesting stuff on quality-quantity.

In evolutionary biology there is this paradigm of "r-selected species versus K-selected species".

quote:

In r/K selection theory, selective pressures are hypothesised to drive evolution in one of two generalized directions: r- or K-selection[2]. These terms, r and K, are derived from standard ecological algebra, as illustrated in the simple Verhulst equation of population dynamics[3]:

where r is the growth rate of the population (N), and K is the carrying capacity of its local environmental setting. Typically, r-selected species exploit empty niches, and produce many offspring, each of which has a relatively low probability of surviving to adulthood. In contrast, K-selected species are strong competitors in crowded niches, and invest more heavily in many fewer offspring, each of which has a relatively high probability of surviving to adulthood. In the scientific literature, r-selected species are occasionally referred to as "opportunistic", while K-selected species are described as "equilibrium"[4].

Not totally sure how that would relate to the firearms and infantry example, but it automatically made me think of it.

Do military scientists / historians have like general theoretical paradigms of warfare, and try to apply them as hypotheses to be tested using actual realworld data (e.g., historical data)? If not, WOW, what an "open niche" [:D]

ANZAC_Tack -> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (8/15/2008 11:11:59 PM)

m10bob said it right,"The best small arms are not always the most accurate, most produced,etc.
The best were the ones that be dropped in the mud, picked up, and still fired without problems. "

thats why in 1945 i would choose the sks first. reliability, hitting power, resonable accuracy, easy to clean/maintain,good 10 rounds semi auto(automatic if u make the special sear spring like i did from 3.2mm welding electrode).i heard the stg44 had some problems with reliability,and was a complex unit.

Big B -> RE: Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best? (8/16/2008 2:25:33 AM)

quote:

m10bob said it right,"The best small arms are not always the most accurate, most produced,etc.
The best were the ones that be dropped in the mud, picked up, and still fired without problems. "

There is NO question about this point. There is room for honest debate about which rifle gets the 'gold medal' 'for most reliable'
The Kalashnikov's' are a dead-on contender, as would be the Garand (never heard a report of unreliability about that beast), and most bolt-actions were sound...except the bolt actions don't have the advantage of semi-auto fire..so it leaves them all in second place overall.
Beyond those - all the other WWII era auto-loaders did have at least minor issues in reliability (extractors being weak, etc.)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ANZAC_Tack
thats why in 1945 i would choose the sks first. reliability, hitting power, resonable accuracy, easy to clean/maintain,good 10 rounds semi auto(automatic if u make the special sear spring like i did from 3.2mm welding electrode).i heard the stg44 had some problems with reliability,and was a complex unit.

Getting back to the best auto-loader, I would humbly say it could be considered a matter of national pride and favorite flavor between the SKS and M-1 Garand.
However, if I actually had to pick which weapon to use in combat (allowing for all other things being equal - like age, spare parts, and ammo supply) I would have to favor the power and accuracy of .30-06 over 7.62x39. being very familiar with each weapon (I own both...and not a few others)...it really wouldn't be a difficult choice for me.
Something no-one has mentioned yet is the immense value of the iron-sight system installed on each weapon. The size of the front sight post, and rear aperture - defines you sight picture, and hence your chances of hitting a target over 100 yard away. The Garand, with its adjustable rear sight, is well beyond the capabilities of any of its contemporaries and vastly better than an M-16 too. So there is another big advantage I'd give the M-1 over an SKS. (you have to understand that at 300 meters - a human appears smaller than the front sight post on most rifles....makes lining up a shot difficult). An adjustable rear sight allows the shooter to adjust his sight picture to how the individual actually holds the rifle - makes all the difference between a hit or a miss at any range.
As far as iron sights go - the best, the most useful - I've ever seen on any military rifle are on the M1903 Springfield ... by a large margin. On that rifle (besides fully adjustable rear sights) - the front post is still smaller(thinner) than a man at 500 yards - that makes 'point and shoot' sooo easy.

B

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI