2007 CSR Award Winners (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918

Balthazar Gerards -> 2007 CSR Award Winners (8/12/2008 9:58:16 AM)

Best 20th Century Era Computer Wargame
Congrats!

http://www.consimworld.com/archives/001955.html

Alan Sharif -> RE: 2007 CSR Award Winners (8/12/2008 12:40:57 PM)

well deserved.

FrankHunter -> RE: 2007 CSR Award Winners (8/12/2008 7:53:07 PM)

That's very nice, I actually came across this yesterday while looking for a good family boardgame and thought why not look at the awards and see what won. I was very surprised to see GoA there, but not as surprised as my daughter who wonders how anyone could possibly like playing it :-) (She prefers games like Harry Potter)

geoffreyg -> RE: 2007 CSR Award Winners (8/13/2008 4:15:47 PM)

Can I add my congratulations for a most well deserved award!

Lascar -> RE: 2007 CSR Award Winners (8/13/2008 7:48:43 PM)

Yes, well deserved recognition for a game that was the first attempt to make a computer strategic level game simulating World War I and has succeeded very well. Few other designers seemed to have the courage and conviction to attempt it and pull it off.

brianlala -> RE: 2007 CSR Award Winners (8/15/2008 11:21:46 AM)

The amazing thing is that Guns of August, while a very innovate game is not even Frank Hunter's best work. I'm still hoping that he does a remake of his excellent Civil War title and the very ingenious handling of unit movement in that game. That game was an excellent combination of detail in all the right places (using real world troop numbers and making weapon production occur in individual cities) and abstraction.

I'm surprised that Frank and/or Matrix haven't gone forward with this title (unless I missed some piece of news on the subject) and I do recall that Frank even had the maps for the game in some sort of completion several years ago.

Is this game still going to be made?

Alan Sharif -> RE: 2007 CSR Award Winners (8/15/2008 11:30:40 AM)

I recently found a copy of Franks Civil War game and am trying to find the time to have a dabble with it. Sounds like I need to make that time!

brianlala -> RE: 2007 CSR Award Winners (8/15/2008 11:58:52 AM)

I should add then, that while very innovative in its handling of things like unit movement, Frank's Civil War game is also very complex and documentation of why some things are happening or not happening on a turn by turn basis can be very confusing to the uninitiated.

Frank used to have his own website and would hold our hands while we picked his and others brains on some of the more difficult-to-understand parts of the game (and as a way of saying thanks was the main reason I bought Guns of August when it came out). I really really hope Frank does an updated version of this ACW game because I still love playing his ACW game with random and hidden leaders on. It has a very high level of replayability with these settings and the urgency in getting generals into battle just so you know what they are made of and to bring the best generals back to defending Richmond before the yanks overrun northern Virginia is so fun. immer

Brian
PS: See website "Thurb" if you need more info on some of the bugs and other playability issues with his ACW game. If just some of the bugs in that game were fixed (like the damage calculation for artillery or how naval activity sometimes freezes up) then it would be worth paying the price for a new game to me. 

FrankHunter -> RE: 2007 CSR Award Winners (8/15/2008 5:54:28 PM)

quote:

Is this game still going to be made?

Yes, eventually, but I believe there were 3 strategic level ACW games released in the past couple of years which I knew were coming and so I thought it was a good time to finish other projects. When there's only so much time in a day why pile on the same subject as a designer like Gary Grigsby? Seems like a bad idea

I'm glad the old website helped out with ACW, too bad the hosting company deleted all that information when I forgot to make my $8 payment one month.

arichbourg -> RE: 2007 CSR Award Winners (8/15/2008 6:15:49 PM)

I really enjoyed that old website. The discussion went far beyond even Frank's games and was a lot of fun, and educational too.

brianlala -> RE: 2007 CSR Award Winners (8/15/2008 9:23:48 PM)

Excellent, excellent news that it is still being worked on. I don't care if I have to wait until I'm 28 to buy the new ACW when it comes out, I'll still be excited for it.

*Lava* -> RE: 2007 CSR Award Winners (8/16/2008 12:19:50 PM)

[sm=happy0065.gif]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI