RE: Important changes (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Road to Victory

KuniworthII -> RE: Important changes (8/29/2008 10:05:00 AM)

Exactly: YOu should not have to do it if you dont like.

As it stands now you dont even have the choice. You think that is more "fun"?

JMass -> RE: Important changes (8/29/2008 10:11:20 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: apathetic lurker
If I dont want to thump the Finns I really dont think I should have to.

But if you want to attack Finland the outcome should be reasonably historic (I don't want to say Soviets must lost automatically but that events could occur). I read some HoI's AAR where minor countries conquer the world, this is sci-fi, not a wargame.

quote:

About Yugoslavia. Are you suggesting having a trigger to switch the pro from Axis to Allied automatically in 1941?

I am working on this event for my mod and I found a way to go around this problem, not automatically but players must decide what to do.

wargamer123 -> RE: Important changes (8/29/2008 11:36:50 AM)

JMass, correct in HOI you can conquor a portion of the world as Italy maybe, but incorrect also.... You'd have to reload a dozen times with the AI on it's worst setting to not get annexed too easily. but if this game started in 1936 and ended in 1950, I bet you I could also. You also have to give those HOI Scripts something, they easily change them or give alternate options. i.e. Attack Finland in the Winter war with these Pros/Cons Don't Attack with these Pros/Cons...

Ultimately having the choice is neat but in my opinion the whole Fin thing is too small potatoes to worry about anyway. Now in a bigger game, maybe... I suppose that this is ETO, the option or event popup with an option would be candy

Phatguy -> RE: Important changes (8/29/2008 9:04:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuniworth II

Exactly: YOu should not have to do it if you dont like.

As it stands now you dont even have the choice. You think that is more "fun"?

Not sure if you were replying to me with this but I think so. "Fun" is relative.Right now, except for the non-stop troop production and the instant placing of units this game is fun..for me.

But, from the sound of it you want to have triggers for historical events like the winter war. An "winter war" trigger would force me,as the Soviet player to get attacked from the north by the Finns even if I had no designs on their territory. I really dont want to be strait-jacketed into playing by the book.

I'll tell you, my present game is a riot for me. Got attacked by the Germans in 41. Managed to hold them somewhat but for the heck of it I couped Vichy France and installed a nice Stalinist government. Wouldnt you know it, the Germans sent quite a few units back to deal with the pesky French. Historical? No, Plausible? No.. But it made my day. If I was forced into playing a wargame exactly as it happened, I could have saved my money and bought a book.

If i'm rambling too much dont mind me. I'm on meds before I get operated on next week.....

LarryP -> RE: Important changes (8/29/2008 10:03:28 PM)

quote:

If I was forced into playing a wargame exactly as it happened, I could have saved my money and bought a book.

[:D] [:D] [:D]

geozero -> RE: Important changes (8/29/2008 11:00:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

quote:

If I was forced into playing a wargame exactly as it happened, I could have saved my money and bought a book.

[:D] [:D] [:D]

This is precisely why old AH and SPI board games worked so well. You were given OOB's and some amount of production capabilities, reinforcements, replacements, etc depending on game, but seldom did these games FORCE you to play a certain way or have scripted events...

So many great AH titles come to mind, Afrika Korps, Luftwaffe, Third Reich (of course), Russian Front, France 1940, D-Day, Anzio, the list goes on and on... any of these games you could win playing either side because of skill (and some luck).

Somewhere, someone must have decided that scripting the hell out of a PC wargame meant providing a realistic gaming experience, but JUST THE OPPOSITE is usually the case. As stated I'd rather read a book if the end result is the same pretty much every time.

PC game Devs would learn a lot playing board games of the classics IMO. Sure there still plenty of room to get more ideas into a PC game, but make it FUN, REPLAYABLE, and OPEN ENDED.

How may times are we going to play Germany invades Poland, then Scandinavia, just in time to attack low countries and France. Then hurry invade Britain before the script in JUne 1941 puts the Soviets on a war footing against you...gee wait I must attack Russia, maybe take out Yugoslavia and Greece (not for any particular reason, there's no oil or other material need, just they're in the way, and it's historical)... of no, can't take Moscow... must start the Atlantic wall before the script that has US make D-Day invasion in Normandy...not like there would be ANY other place in Europe to invade... and on, and on, and on...

comrade -> RE: Important changes (9/1/2008 11:58:14 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: James Ward

I've had two games where a nation declares war on a nation that just was eliminated. Once Germany did it to Russia and once Russia did it to Germany. Both times it happened on the turn after the surrender.

Do you have the save game that can replicate the problem? It'd be a great help.

James Ward -> RE: Important changes (9/1/2008 6:04:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: comrade

quote:

ORIGINAL: James Ward

I've had two games where a nation declares war on a nation that just was eliminated. Once Germany did it to Russia and once Russia did it to Germany. Both times it happened on the turn after the surrender.

Do you have the save game that can replicate the problem? It'd be a great help.

I'll try to get one as the games where this happened have been overwritten. Do you need the turn before they do it?
Also I played the 1941 scenario as the US and Germany was getting partial vicroty credit when their minor allies were eliminated, even after Germany was eliminated.
In that same game there was also a problem with 'ghost' Finns. They appear on the map but don't actually exist. I have a save of that one. Tell me where to send it.

doomtrader -> RE: Important changes (9/1/2008 10:00:13 PM)

Please attache it at the forum

James Ward -> RE: Important changes (9/2/2008 4:27:54 AM)

How do I do that?

doomtrader -> RE: Important changes (9/2/2008 7:55:09 AM)

When you use POST REPLY button in the left corner, just behind text frame, is 'Click here to upload!', use it and add a zipped save game folder.

James Ward -> RE: Important changes (9/2/2008 5:02:52 PM)

I tried that last night and got a message that the file format was not supported. I'll try again tonight when I get home from work.
If I can't upload then can you give me an e-mail address to send the files to?

doomtrader -> RE: Important changes (9/2/2008 7:49:57 PM)

did you used zip or rar format?

James Ward -> RE: Important changes (9/2/2008 8:01:32 PM)

zip

James Ward -> RE: Important changes (9/2/2008 10:40:32 PM)

It says only gif/txt/jpeg are supported.
Can I e-mail the saves to you?

doomtrader -> RE: Important changes (9/2/2008 10:40:58 PM)

that's strange

OK, send it to doomtrader[at]wastelands-interactive.com

James Ward -> RE: Important changes (9/3/2008 12:50:28 AM)

I sent two files. They were kind of small. Is that normal?

doomtrader -> RE: Important changes (9/3/2008 1:04:58 AM)

yep, they are rather small

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI