rationale for "no move back" (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided

Bubble -> rationale for "no move back" (8/25/2008 11:51:38 PM)

Hi all. Returning to the game after a long absence.

Something that has always struck me as weird is that if I move a unit and it reveals the presence of an enemy unit (with fog of war on), I can't undo my movement. Well, that's not weird. What's weird is that if I move and don't reveal anything, I CAN move back. I would think that I'm not so much "not revealing anything" as revealing the absence of enemies. This seems like valuable intelligence, and it doesn't make sense to me that I should be able to do it for "free" (e.g., move my fighter one space off Norway, or W France, or wherever, find that the adjacent waters are clear, and undo the movement, confident that there are no boats lurking out at sea).

Is there a rationale for this, or maybe it's a glitch that could be changed in 1.03?

WanderingHead -> RE: rationale for "no move back" (8/26/2008 9:36:55 AM)

It is certainly not a glitch, it is by design, although you may not like the design. It has been there ever since the first GGWaW. I think it was this way just for simplicity.

Actually, I believe that the game (back in early WAW development days) was designed without FOW. FOW was added later (but still back in development) in response to many requests.

At any rate, you have a good point, and it could be implemented as you suggest. But I'm afraid it will not change now.

Bubble -> RE: rationale for "no move back" (8/26/2008 5:34:54 PM)

Thanks for the reply, WanderingHead. All that you say is more or less as I thought. In any case, this isn't a major issue, just a small thing I'd noticed. It rarely makes much difference.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI