Fun with Chlanda's editor (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Billy Yank -> Fun with Chlanda's editor (10/7/2000 5:14:00 AM)

First I've got a tip and a question for those who like to play around with WaWEd. Hopefully others can post some tips and tricks here too. Tip: Give your Company Commanders some backup - In a campaign, buy an extra unit of the same type as your CO's unit (or buy something cheap and upgrade it after the first battle). Assign it to your Company CO's formation during deployment. Now save and fire up WaWEd. Go to the newly assigned unit and change the leader's rank to 1st Lt. Give him slightly better ratings than the platoon leaders but slightly worse than the Captain's and *poof* instant Executive Officer. I also create a Major to back up my A0 leader (and I demote him to Lt Colonel because I like to play as a Battalion Commander.) A while ago someone posted a complaint that when a Company CO was killed, the game promotes a Sergeant to 2nd Lt and gives command of the company to him. Hopefully, with this modification, the game will just assign command to the XO, but I haven't walked one of my CO's up to a machine gun nest to try it out yet. Now my question. In the help file for WaWEd, there's a rundown on what the columns in the CSV mean when you dump the scenario data. Unfortunately, it only includes the info for SP2 and SP3. Does anyone have this info for SPW@W? Specifically, I'm looking for the command hierarchy of my forces. I want to know how the game knows that formation "F" is platoon under the command of the leader of unit "D0". I'm guessing that info should be contained in the scenario file, and I'd like to be able to change it so my Company CO's can help rally the platoons I've attached to them. ------------------ Billy Yank I don't define "my own" the way you want me to.

Wild Bill -> (10/7/2000 11:51:00 PM)

Chlanda's editing tools are the best. I can't say "Thank you" enough to Fred. All of you should let him know how much we appreciate these valuable tools. He spends many, many hours on these. A note of thanks to Fred from some of you I am sure would be appreciated by him. Fred Chlanda E-mail Address: chlanda@peoplepc.com Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

Billy Yank -> (10/10/2000 2:48:00 AM)

BOT. ------------------ Billy Yank I don't define "my own" the way you want me to.

Wild Bill -> (10/10/2000 3:05:00 AM)

I did not see your question, Billy Yank the first time. I have automatic rally turned on in the game. This automatically does the rally step for me, including Co HQ and even up to the A0 if possible. Wild Bill (Johnny Reb) ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

Billy Yank -> (10/10/2000 9:30:00 PM)

Let me explain better what I'm doing. I like to buy full companies of infantry and armor, then trade platoons so I get mixed company teams. The problem with this is (for example) the tank platoon operating with my mech company is usually too far from the tank company's CO for him to try to rally. But it is often close to the mech company's CO. I'd like to find a way to make the game consider the mech CO as the company commander of the tank platoon. In the help file for WaWEd, there is a column called "Leader Number" defined for SP3 and SP2, but the column offsets have changed in SPW@W. ------------------ Billy Yank I don't define "my own" the way you want me to.

Larry Holt -> (10/10/2000 9:36:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by Billy Yank: Let me explain better what I'm doing. I like to buy full companies of infantry and armor, then trade platoons so I get mixed company teams. The problem with this is (for example) the tank platoon operating with my mech company is usually too far from the tank company's CO for him to try to rally. But it is often close to the mech company's CO. I'd like to find a way to make the game consider the mech CO as the company commander of the tank platoon....
Similarily the OOB gives me pure armor and infantry units but I fight as mixed teams. I use the OOB editor to make mixed teams that I can buy with the leaders already set (as you want them) rather than buy pure units then use Fred's editor to change them. ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one. OK, maybe just a bit faded.

Billy Yank -> (10/13/2000 2:36:00 AM)

Thanks, Larry. I might try that. However, I'd still like to be able to alter the hierarchy during a campaign. That way I can mimic the Battalion CO allocating resources to different Companies. ------------------ Billy Yank I don't define "my own" the way you want me to.

Billy Yank -> (10/24/2000 2:03:00 AM)

I figured out how to trade platoons between two companies. 1. Save your game during the deployment phase. It's easier if you layout the platoons you want to trade in an orderly fashion. 2. Quit that game and rename the saveXXX.* files to scenXXX.* 3. In the scenario editor, pull up the renamed savegame. Go to the deploy screen for your side. (No fair peeking at the enemy lined up on the other edge of the map [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] ) 4. Find the "zero" units for the platoons want to trade and hit "r" to change them. What you want to do is swap the two units. So if you're trading a mech infantry platoon for a tank platoon, change the "0" unit of the tank platoon into an armored infantry squad and the "0" unit of the infantry platoon into the appropriate type of tank. 5. Save the scenario and quit. 6. Start WAWEd and bring up the scenario file. 7. Go to the "zero" units of the platoons and write down the leader information. (When you change a unit in the scenario editor, it keeps the same leader). 8. Change the leader info of the two units. Remember the rank and number of kills is on the unit data screen, not on the unit list. 9. Save and quit. 10. Change the name of the files back to saveXXX.* 11. Pull up the savegame and go to the deployment screen. 12. Use the "Assign to new headquarters" button to shift the subordinate units of each platoon to their new leader. That's it. The platoons are now officially part of their new companies for the purposes of rally and contact. I'd still like to know how to add a platoon to a company, so if anyone figures that out, please post it. In my first message, I gave a tip on creating an executive officer for your units. Well, I just saw that put to the test. In a battle against the Italians supported by those damned 305mm naval guns, my battalion commander was killed by artillery. The XO, Maj. McCarty (unit A1), took over immediately. Not only that, when the battle ended and I fixed all, Maj. McCarty had been moved to the A0 unit. So I guess that works. ------------------ Billy Yank I don't define "my own" the way you want me to.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI