Message to David (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0

dreamtheatervt -> Message to David (9/10/2008 9:20:38 PM)

I would like to wish David the best in all he does. He listened to our suggestions, and worked hard to get us a stable game with as few bugs as possible. I don't think Dave owes us an explanation or anything; I hope his decision to stop working on this game is a business decision and not a personal one. David gave us the ultimate football simulation, surpassing IMO the FPS FB Pro series, a series I started playing in 1994, and continued to play the '98 version up until this year. I hope I can play MaxFB for the next 10+ years as well.

We've built a wonderful community here as well, so in reality David gave us more than just a football game - he brought people together. Thank you again for your time and energy, you gave me more than I wanted in a football game when I started looking for my FB Pro replacement.

Mason

Lucas718 -> RE: Message to David (9/10/2008 11:33:35 PM)

I kinda had a feeling this was coming. I'd also like to thank David for sticking it out this long. I believe he's done more with the game and taken it much farther than he ever intended, but I think after 2 1/2 years he probably got tired of constantly working on what may have seemed like a never ending project. Let's not forget that he was doing it in his spare time around a real life job and trying to fit in time with the family and doing other things.

I can easily say I've gotten more than my money's worth out of my initial investment. I was one of those who bought the first version of the game the day it was released. It has come a long way, and honestly I've gotten frustrated with it at times but I keep coming back to it. That says something. Every year I would buy Madden and get tired of it within a month, but here we are over 2 years later and I'm still excited about getting my NCAA league up & running.

It's a sad day to think that another football title is going away, but at least I have many days ahead of enjoying the final product.

Thanks David and good luck in whatever you do next.

Mykal -> RE: Message to David (9/10/2008 11:40:27 PM)

I'd have to go along with ya' there Lucas
I think on average I paid more than most for my MaxFB (close to $80 US when you convert what I paid in pounds)
but it has certainly been worth it and I have never complained about the price.

I didnt rack up over 1000 posts in this forum in around 5 months cos I hated the game thats for sure.
WELL WORTH EVERY PENNY.

DAWUSS -> RE: Message to David (9/10/2008 11:48:19 PM)

Yeah, you definitely get a lot of mileage out of this game.

Let's see I have:

NFL (Madden - $59.99)
NCAA (NCAA - $59.99)
CFL (N/A)
NFHS (N/A)
CIS (N/A)

... and the list goes on. So it's either $120 for 2 leagues, or $40 for as much space as my HD can hold.

... I know, different market, different strengths and weaknesses, but still...

long_time_fan -> RE: Message to David (9/11/2008 12:30:47 AM)

Ya,
Thanks for everything Dave!!
LTF

quixian -> RE: Message to David (9/11/2008 12:48:37 AM)

I don't know if David will read this or not, but I'd like to offer my honest to goodness thanks as well. I could not begin to think of another developer (especially a one-man show like WinterValley) who deserves more credit for their hard work in not only bringing their product to the market, but continuing to support it for long after the initial release. I hope all is well with David and wish him success and happiness with whatever he works on in the future.

dreamtheatervt -> RE: Message to David (9/11/2008 12:55:07 AM)

Maybe one of the testers who has had some contact with David could point him to this thread.  I don't think it requires his response, I just want him to know how much his efforts are appriciated.

redwolf1 -> RE: Message to David (9/11/2008 1:27:12 AM)

David Winter > Maximum Football.

Thank you David for your dedication, openess, willingness to listen, and comradery over the years. You've made a fine product that you should be very proud of! Congratulations and wishing you all the best, whatever your situation may be and what your future holds. [:)]

Michael

Indeed, I was one of the first purchasers as well (gosh, remember the game when it was first released?!?!) and would have walked away from the game if it hadn't been for David with his ear on the community and his tireless dedication. We've got a bit of a cult hit here that I'm sure will be played for several years to come and that will have a small but very dedicated fan base...lot's of life left in this title.

DAWUSS -> RE: Message to David (9/11/2008 1:34:53 AM)

Heck, from time to time I even crank out Goldeneye. Now that game didn't come with any updates, and is far older than MFB!

chad56s -> RE: Message to David (9/11/2008 2:31:59 AM)

I posted before under the release thread and got deleted.  Apologies for any maintenance headaches.

David's vision was exactly the same as mine when he began making this incredibly efforted game.  I marvel at how much he was able to produce and at his infinite patience with a demanding, if mostly appreciative, audience.  This game, I believe, did more to progress the world of video football gaming in the direction that I, and many of you here, would hope that it continues.  I want to offer my sincere thanks to David, and to Matrix Games, and to all of the testers and this fine community one more time.

Here's hoping that the mantle will be picked up and carried forward.

DreamTeams -> RE: Message to David (9/11/2008 2:45:41 AM)

Sad to read that there will be no further updates. But, I have my football universe construction set in MFB and am quite happy with it. This is a very special game.

Hope this community continues on much like the MVP Baseball community.

Marauders -> RE: Message to David (9/11/2008 2:49:14 AM)

quote:

I posted before under the release thread and got deleted.  Apologies for any maintenance headaches.

I was hoping you'd repost this to one of the new threads.  I lost the posts when trying to move them over.  The infamous "you are not logged in" screen killed the post.

Because I no longer had the posts, I couldn't PM you about it.

long_time_fan -> RE: Message to David (9/11/2008 5:34:55 AM)

At first, all I wanted a game that played CFL on a CFL field. While it was a little buggy, it beat everything out there in the market (which was essentially nothing since David's own CFL 99). I've watched this game move from an up-coming game on his Wintervalley website and read what was being said in the forum for a while before taking the plunge last August. It was BY FAR the best money I've spent on a game in a long, long time. I don't know if David will read this or is even following what's being posted, but this game has exceeded what I was expecting when I purchased it, and with the help of dedicated moders (like Mykal and others) the game looks and feels like something I've spend a good deal more on. Once again, thanks Dave. It's too bad that we won't see that paid expansion pack, and it feels like MaxFB 3.0 is no longer on the table for the future, but I'm happy with this game and will play it for years to come.
Later,
LTF

long_time_fan -> RE: Message to David (9/11/2008 5:37:26 AM)

One question though,
Will this forum be removed by Matrix anytime soon, as this is now a "locked off game"? It would be hard for those of us who wish to carry on the game to do so without a forum in which to share ideas and discuss.
LTF

Tbird -> RE: Message to David (9/11/2008 5:38:57 AM)

The only thing missing is H2H multi player but these days for me there's really no time that anyway [:(]

I'm still playing the game to this day Mostly CPU vs CPU because of time constraints but still haven't lost interest in the game at all.

Hopefully he's okay  [&o]

Erik Rutins -> RE: Message to David (9/11/2008 12:15:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: long_time_fan
One question though,
Will this forum be removed by Matrix anytime soon, as this is now a "locked off game"? It would be hard for those of us who wish to carry on the game to do so without a forum in which to share ideas and discuss.

Just to be crystal clear, M-F will not be discontinued (it will remain on sale in our store) and the forum will remain here as well. There are no plans to close things up, this is just the end of development, not the end of the game's life.

Mykal -> RE: Message to David (9/11/2008 2:47:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: long_time_fan
One question though,

Just to be crystal clear, M-F will not be discontinued (it will remain on sale in our store) and the forum will remain here as well. There are no plans to close things up, this is just the end of development, not the end of the game's life.

Well that clears that up
but I'd already thought about that anyway LTF,
I could easily have set up a forum attached to my website for everyone to use, thankfully there's no need.

DONMVP -> RE: Message to David (9/13/2008 6:43:30 AM)

man a lot things happened over last week . Hav`nt had access to comp for week . Glad to here ERIC , that game not to be discontinued and the post also . Over last 2 years found this site and game to be place to regain my sanity. Also to DAVID I hope things continue to go great for you and your wife .Hope someday to see you creating a new game someday .
THANKS FOR A GREAT GAME

Brockleigh -> RE: Message to David (9/23/2008 2:07:56 AM)

I was one that bought CFL '99 way back then, and I remember getting on David's bad side when I complained about the game not running on the piece of crap PC I had at the time. That was back in 2001. Since then I followed the development of Maximum Football and bought my copy of the game about 3 months after it's release. To say that I've gotten my money's worth is an understatement. To say that my wife hates this game because of how much of my time it's consumed is also an understatement. To say that this game is still on the hard drive without being erased by her is a miracle.

But also to say this game usurped Madden in my eyes is something of a miracle. I used to be a Madden fanboy, and I didn't think that a game developed by one guy could outdo what a whole studio could come up with. It has, however, in spades.

David, from the bottom of my heart, thanx man. This game rawks. Your efforts are very much appreciated.

Brockleigh -> RE: Message to David (9/23/2008 2:09:38 AM)

I also guess this means we're at the end of elmerlee and his:

????????????
?????????????????????
????????????????????????????????????

posts.

therhino -> RE: Message to David (9/23/2008 2:29:37 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brockleigh

I also guess this means we're at the end of elmerlee and his:

????????????
?????????????????????
????????????????????????????????????

posts.

Yeah I was suprised emerlee didn't wreck havoc when he found out that Maximum Football is final.

jdhalfrack -> RE: Message to David (9/23/2008 2:39:39 AM)

I think it's because it really didn't come as a shock to too many people... I can honestly say I saw it coming for about a month and a half... It's sad, but I wish David and his family all the best in whatever else he does!

JD

VCFL Commish -> RE: Message to David (9/23/2008 3:02:57 PM)

quote:

Brockleigh
I was one that bought CFL '99 way back then, and I remember getting on David's bad side when I complained about the game not running on the piece of crap PC I had at the time.

Well same as Brockleigh I`ve been around since CFL99.I Also would like to thank Dave A for all his efforts as a person that tried running a 3 down league on FPS98 with a VB6 program to add Rouges it was so nice to see a actual CFL game.
If FPS98 can be any judge we could see leagues into 2018 with die hards keeping it going.

mbsports -> RE: Message to David (9/24/2008 12:21:09 AM)

Yeah I think I can probably squeeze about 20-30 seasons out of MBFL at this rate - as long as I can keep learning different SQL and DBM type stuff I think I can continue to make updating a league easier and easier.  Maybe even release a set of .php/sql tools for commishes to build league sites.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI