RE: Boardame Conversions (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

GJK -> RE: Boardame Conversions (9/25/2008 8:38:57 PM)

Yes, I mentioned JASL in my post before yours. It would be ASL with an AI when finished, however it is hardly there and unfortunately, Lars hasn't made any updates for over a year (that I'm aware of and I'm on the mailing list for JASL). What he has now is ambitious, but full of rules holes, bugs, lack of units and scenarios, and more - it's hardly in an "alpha" phase IMO.

sterckxe -> RE: Boardame Conversions (9/26/2008 7:38:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper
. I got to wondering why more boardgames aren't converted to computer games.

Just thought of a couple of other ones : Tide of Iron and Wings of War

The quirky thing is that they're not going to be developed for the pc but for the online console market :

http://fortressameritrash-boardgames.com/index.php/Articles/News/FFG-Producing-XBL/PSN-Versions-of-TIDE-OF-IRON-WINGS-OF-WAR-iPhone-CITADELS/menu-id-365

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Grell -> RE: Boardame Conversions (9/26/2008 12:07:58 PM)

I too would like to see more board game conversions.

Regards,

Greg

sterckxe -> RE: Boardame Conversions (9/26/2008 12:19:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: GJK
Yes, I mentioned JASL in my post before yours. It would be ASL with an AI when finished, however it is hardly there and unfortunately, Lars hasn't made any updates for over a year (that I'm aware of and I'm on the mailing list for JASL). What he has now is ambitious, but full of rules holes, bugs, lack of units and scenarios, and more - it's hardly in an "alpha" phase IMO.

Doesn't Paradox hold the digital rights to a PC version of ASL, or is that only to the regular Squad Leader ? He could have gotten a cease & desist note from them ....

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Kuokkanen -> RE: Boardame Conversions (9/26/2008 6:59:57 PM)

Found older thread of similar subject: Free Avalon Hill PC Games...

Neilster -> RE: Boardame Conversions (9/26/2008 7:38:00 PM)

TOAW 3 has a lot of scenarios that are based on famous wargames. I'm sure many people are not happy/can find fault with them but they either come with the game or can be downloaded for free and as far as bang for the buck is concerned, I think they're great.

As one example, if you want to get hardcore, buy Campaign For North Africa from EBay for about $US450, find 7-9 friends with no life and if you all religiously devote about 17 hours per week to the game (and it somehow survives the usual cat attacks, spills, knock-overs, fires etc), you may finish it in about 3 years (i.e. real time!). Or, you can play it in TOAW 3, with all the annoying paperwork done for you. That's a fairly extreme example but the principle applies to other scenarios.

Take for example the Fall Grun (Case Green) one, based on the Strategy and Tactics magazine game of the same name, depicting a hypothetical 1938 German invasion of Czechoslovakia. It's a little gem and great fun to play either side.

Cheers, Neilster

PunkReaper -> RE: Boardame Conversions (9/26/2008 9:36:30 PM)

started this tread writing about how I was playing Twilight Struggle only to discover that this board game is actually a conversion of the old computer game Balance of Power. A game I remember I really enjoyed many years ago.

GJK -> RE: Boardame Conversions (9/26/2008 10:15:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sterckxe

Doesn't Paradox hold the digital rights to a PC version of ASL, or is that only to the regular Squad Leader ? He could have gotten a cease & desist note from them ....

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

FWIU, the digital rights were for Squad Leader and Diplomacy (I believe on the latter). I've never heard mention that it was Advanced Squad Leader. In fact, I recall double checking the announcement on Paradox's site when it was first announced with the specific goal of confirming which it was. Now, they may have grouped it all together as Advanced Squad Leader. Also, at this point, Lars (Thurring) has never posted a message to his Yahoo! group that the project was dead or that he was asked to cease and desist in any way.

The other ASL to PC conversion that I'm aware of (besides VASL of course - which is a tool for playing ASL on the PC rather than a PC version of ASL) is XASL which is a rather nice looking package. Currently he's developing it with the ASL Starter Kit rules/scenarios in mind but I believe he plans for growth beyond that. There's a thread on Matrix here if you search for XASL that will give more details. I understand that there is no AI for it at this point either, however.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI