RE: Civ IV Colonization (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

ASHBERY76 -> RE: Civ IV Colonization (9/27/2008 12:36:03 PM)

EA owns the rights to Alpha centauri, so Firaxes who are part of take two could'nt do a remake anyway.

doomtrader -> RE: Civ IV Colonization (9/27/2008 1:49:25 PM)

what stop them to make the "beta centauri"

I've already bought Coloniation (troug GamersGate) but did started to play yet (finishing new patch for WW2), but the thing which make me confused is that there was nothing what came to my start menu.

Arctic Blast -> RE: Civ IV Colonization (9/27/2008 9:05:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark71

In the copy-protection-list (stickied at the wargamer) I notice that Colonization uses Securom, which is causing quite an uproar in relation to Spore. Are there any (bad) experiences regarding this?

What's making lawsuits is the fact that users are not being warned before installing, that Securom is going to be installed, at least in Spore. That would make me quite angry. I just read some facts about it and I read nothing that is good for a PC user in the least.

Securom:
It saps system resources
It communicates back to the developer even when the game is not being played
No prior information that it is going to be installed (Spore, don't know about Colonization)
It is impossible to remove without a hard drive format
And more...

Actually, I think the main basis of the lawsuit (I could be wrong here) is that SecuROM remains on your system even after you uninstall whatever software it installed alongside.

LarryP -> RE: Civ IV Colonization (9/27/2008 10:30:10 PM)

Here is a link to the lawsuit details: Lawsuit

Cmdrcain -> RE: Civ IV Colonization (9/28/2008 10:03:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Unfortunately my fears are coming to fruition...

From a post over at The Wargamer...I hope they don't mind me quoting them.
quote:

It hit the streets yesterday. I, of course, ran out and got it. Although its got that Sid "just one more turn" addictive quality, I'm still sorry to say that I'm disappointed. It feels like a mod of Civ IV and not a "remake" of the classic colonization game. The $29.99 price tag is a good hint that this is little more than a Civ IV expansion. Although it incorporates concepts of the the classic title, it plays almost exactly like standard Civ IV. In fact, I don't think the old Colonization is even mentioned anywhere in the 72 page manual. But of course, Civ IV is printed all over the place.

If you like Civ IV, you'll still like this. But if you're looking for the magic that was the classic colonization, sorry...you'll be disappointed as I was.

I have Original Colonization, this which I bought, has sameness of original, just better graphics, also seems less "rising" indian tensions (but I'm testing at easiest)

Same format, colonize new world, send ships back to europe to pickup immigrants and sell
things, it uses Civ 4 game engine.

Cmdrcain -> RE: Civ IV Colonization (9/28/2008 10:19:06 PM)

Btw

Having only an Onboard video graphics, Intel, had troubles with Colonization I didn't with Civ 4 nor Civ 4 Expansion...

Basically I resolved crashs by reducing settings to Low graphics and selecting Medium graphics instead of default High graphics and High graphics terrain.

In Civ4 it can be used that way but seems colonization has even greater demands graphics wise for the use of the Higher graphics setting.

In case any with onboard cards has problems...

doomtrader -> RE: Civ IV Colonization (9/29/2008 8:56:51 AM)

I've bought the game to give it a try.

To be honest I'm a little bit dissapointed.
The game itself, indeed has the feeling of the old Colonization (which I've played at Amiga), but unfortunatelly it is rather a Civilization IV mod than standalone game. To be honest for me it's not worth 30 Euro, it is better to buy "Civilization IV Comple" instead.

Short summary:
good old Colonization 9/10
innovativenes 5/10 (comparing to mods for Civ IV I've played)
map size 3/10 (huge is no so huge)
playability fun 9/10 (one more turn syndrome)
replayability 3/10 (I think pretty soon I'll come back to Civ IV mods)

If you are Colonization fan - get it.
If you are not, better get Civ IV.

terje439 -> RE: Civ IV Colonization (9/30/2008 11:12:27 AM)

Hmm after playing the game a few times, these are my impressions:

1. It looks like Civ IV
2. It is not Civ IV [:D]
3. Some minor "bugs" (well the main issue for me is actually working as intendet but...It takes longer and longer to educate your colonists)
4. I am having heaps of fun
5. I should have been to bed two hours ago, but just had to play "one more turn"
6. The new founding father system is actually quite nice, you now have to compete with the other nations to get them.

Is it worth getting? Well yea in my oppinion it is a good buy, but then again I say that about any Sid game there is...

JudgeDredd -> RE: Civ IV Colonization (9/30/2008 11:58:56 AM)

I think there are two issues here...one seems to be it so looks like Civ IV it's being touted as Civ IV...and the other is Firaxis might well have been better describing it as a Civ IV expansion because it is so similar.

I don't know...I don't have it yet...been waiting on impressions. So far I think it's split (from what I've read) between people thinking it's just a Civ IV mod and people actually liking it as an independant game.

I really did love the original and being as this is the same price as the expansion, I can't help but think I'll pick it up....soon...very soon.

I seem to have gone game mad in the last month or two...I've got several great games on the go.

doomtrader -> RE: Civ IV Colonization (9/30/2008 12:11:42 PM)

quote:

I really did love the original

then go for it

undercovergeek -> RE: Civ IV Colonization (9/30/2008 12:17:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
I seem to have gone game mad in the last month or two...I've got several great games on the go.

what you playing jd?

JudgeDredd -> RE: Civ IV Colonization (9/30/2008 12:39:56 PM)

Kharkov:Disaster on the Donetz
GG War Between The States
Combat Mission Shock Force : Marines
Stalker Clear Sky

Plus I's till playing alot of my old favs...
Forge of Freedom
Puresim Baseball
OOTP Baseball 9
Panzer Command : Kharkov
Conquest of the Aegean
Call of Duty 4
Team Fortress 2
GTR2

The list goes on....just look at my computer and whatever takes my fancy I will fire up.

Still trying to get into WITP...fired it up again not too long ago and plucked up the courage for a first turn as US...but sadly it didn't grip me enough quickly enough

Want to pick up BoA2 and Colonisation 2...and Hells Highway (and review) is coming out this Friday

undercovergeek -> RE: Civ IV Colonization (9/30/2008 2:02:22 PM)

thats a lot of baseball for a man on the proper side of the atlantic!!!

undercovergeek -> RE: Civ IV Colonization (9/30/2008 2:04:44 PM)

i looked at a few of those especially GB WBTS but i know everything i buy between now and AE is just a filler and will be dropped like a hot brick when that comes out

JudgeDredd -> RE: Civ IV Colonization (9/30/2008 2:48:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: undercovergeek

thats a lot of baseball for a man on the proper side of the atlantic!!!

I do like Baseball...in fact I think I should be an honourary American because I love American Football also (much moreso than watching our over paid actors in our game of football).

And those are two great games right there. OOTP9 has a more business feel to it I find, whereas Puresim Baseball has a very authentic "oldish" kind of feel. Both great games.

JudgeDredd -> RE: Civ IV Colonization (9/30/2008 2:49:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: undercovergeek

i looked at a few of those especially GB WBTS but i know everything i buy between now and AE is just a filler and will be dropped like a hot brick when that comes out

You'd probably get a good 2 or 3 dozen games in of WBTS before AE comes out...it's a great game...you could choose much worse.

undercovergeek -> RE: Civ IV Colonization (9/30/2008 3:17:25 PM)

im reading a book about the ACW because i know a pitiful amount about it - im onto page 275 and the fighting is just getting going - the first 274 were about the reasons, origins and the political map of the place, very very interesting, but im a wargamer - i wanted the shooting to start - so i want to get some knowledge of the famous battles and famous generals and then i might go look again - until then WitP AI it is - sigh.

I laugh at some of your posts about your serial game buying and the ever increasing pile next to your PC, i think im a bit more restrained than yourself - no offense meant - i too could have plunged into some feet first but ive learnt to read and hold back a bit - i made the mistake with Carriers at War, and HTTR, and Sins of a Solar Empire, and Strategic Command 2, and CM:SF - my god the money wasted!!!!!

JudgeDredd -> RE: Civ IV Colonization (9/30/2008 3:57:53 PM)

[QUOTE]
I laugh at some of your posts about your serial game buying and the ever increasing pile next to your PC, i think im a bit more restrained than yourself - no offense meant - i too could have plunged into some feet first but ive learnt to read and hold back a bit - i made the mistake with Carriers at War, and HTTR, and Sins of a Solar Empire, and Strategic Command 2, and CM:SF - my god the money wasted!!!!!
[/QUOTE]

Yeah....I know. I should know better. I have so many games I really ought to finish before I carry on...

Right.....I make this solemn oath...I will not buy another game (after Hells Highway) until I'm done with my current bunch

See, but the problem right there is....a lot of games "aren't done with" at all. GTR? Race a season...then race another...and another? It's not a finished game after you complete a season....it goes on. Then theres MS Flight Sim X...same problem...you don't just do one flight and hang your boots up. But the same can be said for Strategy games...look at Civ IV...once you've finished, start all over again with a bigger /smaller map or faster/slower game speed.

god....I don't know. Maybe I should just stop tormenting myself and be grateful that I can afford games at the moment!

undercovergeek -> RE: Civ IV Colonization (9/30/2008 4:16:11 PM)

lol - i think youve made this oath before havent you???

although i agree Civ games are never done even when youre done!!!

Fortunately or unfortunately i have it narrowed down to witp, which lets face it, is never going to be finished, and EU3, which is eternal, and am waiting for AE and WIF - you see a link here? all unfinishable games, hence you dont need as many - i hope - i did have to seriously wean myself off of Championship manager once - another unfinishable.

referring to another post you started i actually think Mafia is the only game ive ever finished and put away and sold on ebay because id done

JudgeDredd -> RE: Civ IV Colonization (9/30/2008 6:45:20 PM)

Yeah...Mafia was good and in actual fact I've played through and completed it 3 times...twice when I first had it and more recently when I rebought it.

Call of Duty 4 is another one. I've played the campaign 3 times...currently on my fourth

And yeah...I have made that oath before....many times. Like I said, I'll just stop thinking I'm doing anything wrong and carry on...no-one notices except me (and sometimes the wife if she see the package or the bill) [:'(]

scott64 -> RE: Civ IV Colonization (9/30/2008 9:32:55 PM)

Bought Colonization on Thurs Sept 25th with 3 day shipping. Today I checked on UPS website to see where my package is at, should be here today. Website states my package has been rescheduled for Oct 2nd. [:@] I will be following for a shipping rebate/refund from someone. [:o]

Don't know what it went from Sharonville Ohio to Houston to Louisville Ky, when Denver is that away<----------------- [:@]

Arctic Blast -> RE: Civ IV Colonization (9/30/2008 10:26:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: scott1964

Bought Colonization on Thurs Sept 25th with 3 day shipping. Today I checked on UPS website to see where my package is at, should be here today. Website states my package has been rescheduled for Oct 2nd. [:@] I will be following for a shipping rebate/refund from someone. [:o]

Don't know what it went from Sharonville Ohio to Houston to Louisville Ky, when Denver is that away<----------------- [:@]

Wow! Yeah, that's an impressive screwup in shipping. Sounds to me like someone at a UPS sorting depot threw it on the wrong skid, so it ended up on the wrong truck, wrong plane, etc.

scott64 -> RE: Civ IV Colonization (10/1/2008 7:39:47 PM)

Update. Arrived in Commerce City this morning at 7:30 am.  That is the next suburb over. [X(] Maybe, just maybe I will see it today. [:)]

SS Hauptsturmfuhrer -> RE: Civ IV Colonization (11/9/2008 2:48:43 PM)

I thought Alpha was better than the civ series cause you could make custom designed units in Alpha. I liked putting together my own armored rig and then landing it in the badguys' area to see how it did. I never could get into civ series cause of the tactless AI and repetitive micromanagement. I just loaded up Civ 4 Colonization yesterday and gave it a short spin. The lure of real war brought me back to the Decisive Battles games.

Terminus -> RE: Civ IV Colonization (11/9/2008 4:13:23 PM)

Alpha Centauri was better in every way. The Design Lab was just one of the good aspects.

SS Hauptsturmfuhrer -> RE: Civ IV Colonization (11/9/2008 11:21:09 PM)

For anyone who buys Civ 4 Colonization, it's a good game and ignore the online hype about it being too hard. I saw a thread saying how people are playing only on easy and using exploits to have any chance against the king's army while the European rivals are all too weak and lose to the powerful natives. Truth is, playing on weak difficulty settings is what makes the rivals weak (simple logic) so I recommend playing on one of the higher difficulty levels like 'Governor' so the AI settlers have a chance of surviving and expanding.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI