CS Chitose Chiyoda conversion (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room

GreasyLake -> CS Chitose Chiyoda conversion (9/26/2008 12:40:52 PM)

Missed having these two ships in Osaka Dec 31 1941, new player, but I read on another thread they would convert if they were there on the 31st of the next month. They have been parked there for 90 days with no sys damage and nothing happens. At first I thought it might be because the supply was below 20K there, not anymore. Now is there a certain amount of repair points needed on hand to enter the pipeline as CVL conversion? Or am I just out of luck for ever converting these two? If someone tells me they are just in the wrong port I can take it?

I am playing a mod but I already checked with the creator of the mod and he said he did not change any ship production/upgrade routines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance! [8|]

n01487477 -> RE: CS Chitose Chiyoda conversion (9/26/2008 12:56:07 PM)

quote:

Chitose

1942 NOT 1941 ...

From the Hitchhikers guide ...

Special Japanese Ship Conversion – The Chitose and Chiyoda may undergo a major
conversion from a CS to a CVL. The Ise and Hyuga may undergo a major conversion to add a
large contingent of floatplanes (it remains a BB type ship).

These conversions occur if the ship is at anchor in Osaka after December 31, 1942. At that time
the ship enters the reinforcement pipeline. Assuming that normal, uninterrupted shipbuilding and
available Naval Shipyard Points, the Chitose or Chiyoda will take 180 days to convert, while the
Ise will take 330 days.

nobunaga -> RE: CS Chitose Chiyoda conversion (9/26/2008 1:32:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

These conversions occur if the ship is at anchor in Osaka after December 31, 1942.

Not after but exactly on 12/31/42. Conversion happens on the last day of every month starting with 12/31/42, not on the first day.

quote:

[...] the Chitose or Chiyoda will take 180 days to convert, while the
Ise will take 330 days.

This is a manual error. The Chiyodas will take 330 days to convert, the Ises 180 days.

GreasyLake -> RE: CS Chitose Chiyoda conversion (9/26/2008 4:54:03 PM)

That was easy, wrong year.

I liked 180 day conversion better, but at least now I know.

Happy gaming all.

n01487477 -> RE: CS Chitose Chiyoda conversion (9/26/2008 4:56:43 PM)

Well theoretically, if you have the ship build points available you could accelerate them ... and halve the time.

Q-Ball -> RE: CS Chitose Chiyoda conversion (9/26/2008 10:26:40 PM)

Two things:

1. Remove the air units from Chitose/Chiyoda before the conversion happens. They disappear if you don't do that.
2. The CHITOSES are a good conversion.

But I don't like the ISE's. The conversion gives better AA, but takes away guns, and it removes them from the map. The A/C Capacity isn't useful, because you can only use float planes. I think ISEs are a waste of time, but others may have a different opinion.

Also, the Chitose/Chiyoda twins come equipped with 2 full Daitai each of Zero/Kate. Those Daitai are buildable to 27 planes each. You may want to remove and expand them. Then, you can load the Chitoses with whatever you think you need more of before a battle, fighters or TBs.

nobunaga -> RE: CS Chitose Chiyoda conversion (9/26/2008 11:26:53 PM)

Imo both conversions are equally "good" with a slight edge in favour for the Ises.

If you absolutely need more carriers you are better off investing your scarce shipyard points into accelerating Unryus and skip all conversions.

Chiyoda/Chitose airgroups are useless anyway as they arenīt real carrier airgroups but come from the LBA-reinforcement queue (so you wont "miss" any airgroup by not converting) and arrive understrength without any pilots.

rominet -> RE: CS Chitose Chiyoda conversion (9/27/2008 9:55:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

Also, the Chitose/Chiyoda twins come equipped with 2 full Daitai each of Zero/Kate. Those Daitai are buildable to 27 planes each. You may want to remove and expand them. Then, you can load the Chitoses with whatever you think you need more of before a battle, fighters or TBs.

Are you sure of that? Can you give the name of these airgroups?
I didn't see any special airgroup for Chitose/Chiyoda in the database editor.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nobunaga

Chiyoda/Chitose airgroups are useless anyway as they arenīt real carrier airgroups but come from the LBA-reinforcement queue (so you wont "miss" any airgroup by not converting) and arrive understrength without any pilots.

Do you know their names?

nobunaga -> RE: CS Chitose Chiyoda conversion (9/27/2008 4:04:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rominet

Do you know their names?

A1/653rd Daitai (B6N)
A2/653rd Daitai (B6N)
F1/653rd Daitai (A6M5)
F2/653rd Daitai (A6M5)

Scenario 15, not sure about other scenarios.

rominet -> RE: CS Chitose Chiyoda conversion (9/27/2008 11:03:02 PM)

Well, thanks for your answer.

But, after having a look at the scenario editor, i wonder what is the difference between these groups and the others in reinforcements!
Why these groups especially are associated with the CVL Chitose and Chiyoda?[&:]

Mobeer -> RE: CS Chitose Chiyoda conversion (9/28/2008 4:01:18 PM)

In my v1.806 game, the Chitose and Chiyoda air groups were moved ashore automatically when the ships started conversion, not lost.

The air groups on each ship can be expanded to overload the carriers if allowed automatic replacements. The AI does this and then uses them as carriers, whereupon they cannot launch any combat missions and so are easy to sink.

GreasyLake -> RE: CS Chitose Chiyoda conversion (9/29/2008 3:20:05 PM)

nobunaga has a good point. 330 days worth of stealing valuable naval shipyard points for 2 CVL lights that could be used getting fleet carriers out. That does give me pause.
I had been thinking any type carrier at any cost. Got about 50 turns to add up the cost benefits.

Yamato hugger -> RE: CS Chitose Chiyoda conversion (9/29/2008 3:31:30 PM)

I keep the CS's with my CV TFs for recon work. Far more valuable to me in that regard than losing them for a year and by the time they get back the allied '44 modifier kicks in (which is brutal btw).

Q-Ball -> RE: CS Chitose Chiyoda conversion (9/29/2008 5:10:08 PM)

It's an interesting debate. I do appreciate the CS units, and how their search can add strike capability by allowing DB's to focus on attack and not any Nav Search. You can also load Rufes on them for extra CAP, which I do (every little bit helps).

I think the Chitoses are still worthwhile if you have the capacity. You also still have Nisshin available for that role if you have not lost her, and Mizuho if speed isn't an issue.

rominet -> RE: CS Chitose Chiyoda conversion (9/29/2008 8:08:58 PM)

If my memory is good, some CS/AV were used by the japanese for CAP protection of transport TF with Pete and Rufe.
Pete was not very effective against bombers because of its weak weapons (2x7.7mm, 1x7.7mm) but it was a very maneuverable and very robust plane and was never an easy task even for allied fighter.
In WitP, you have to choose: or it is a float-fighter, or it is a float plane for reco.
IRL, this plane did both jobs.[:)]

nobunaga -> RE: CS Chitose Chiyoda conversion (9/30/2008 9:57:00 PM)

The A6M2-N on CAP performs like a Zero (same armament), and from '43 onwards you no longer really need much recon since you will be on defense most of the time anyway and your LBA will do the recon and spotting job.

Should you opt for a large scale CV building program those pitiful 1174 naval yards you start with will never suffice, you need to expand into the 1600-1800 range or even higher. That done you can accelerate Taiho and all 6 Unryus into the 2nd half of '43. Seems more profitable to me than bothering with those conversions.
And having Mega-KB with 30 carriers in spring '44 is something like a wet dream for all IJN lovers. [:D]

Ken Estes -> RE: CS Chitose Chiyoda conversion (10/2/2008 7:01:03 AM)

Indeed, almost any measure proves better than converting these excellent CS to CVL. Check out the a/c sorties they store, very very low number [is it 75?].

Arstavidios -> RE: CS Chitose Chiyoda conversion (10/2/2008 10:50:33 AM)

I prefer to keep them as CS and accelerate other carriers..........
I like to organize the carriers into four divisions with a CS each.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI