Another Winner from Matrix (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

GaryChildress -> Another Winner from Matrix (10/6/2008 11:37:18 AM)

Well, I pulled the trigger and purchased Commander Europe at War. I have to say so far that it is probably the best $60 I've spent in a long, LONG time, maybe since I purchased War in the Pacific!

It's a lot like Panzer General on a grand strategy scale--maybe Panzer General meets Hearts of Iron II. Panzer General is probably the single best gaming experience I had ever had and CEAW is the perfect adaptation of its engine to the grand strategy realm. No fancy 3D bells and whistles, just solid eye pleasing graphics. I remember pining away years ago, wishing that someone would take the Panzer General game engine and combine it with something like Civilization II to create a really cool world conquest game. It looks like my prayers have been answered even better than I had imagined!

The only small strike against the game from what I can see is the lack of a GUI editor with which to create more detailed mods.

If you guys decide to answer any more of my prayers: wouldn't it be great to see the CEAW engine used on a global map of WW II!! [sm=innocent0001.gif]

Thank you Matrix and Slitherine Games for another great title, which I would never have found on the shelves of the local PC retailer/"megastore"!! (Most retailers are overstocked with RPGs and FPS games). It seems that Matrix Games is the home of most of my favorite game engines (War in the Pacific, Close Combat, and now CEAW), coincidence or do great wargaming minds think alike? [:D]

Marc von Martial -> RE: Another Winner from Matrix (10/6/2008 4:08:24 PM)

Glad you enjoy it. I enjoyed the game a lot, actually I still do.

Kuokkanen -> RE: Another Winner from Matrix (10/6/2008 5:55:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

Well, I pulled the trigger and purchased Commander Europe at War.

Meh... To me it looks like Advanced Tactics. Okay you wargamers with no life... tell me all the differences between CEAW, AT, TOAOW3, and other similar games you have played. Which ones you like best, and why?

I MIGHT get some more gaming time in near future, and decent operational level wargame might make it to my gaming list... but I have eye for other games as well, like Civilization IV

GaryChildress -> RE: Another Winner from Matrix (10/6/2008 7:22:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

Well, I pulled the trigger and purchased Commander Europe at War.

Meh... To me it looks like Advanced Tactics. Okay you wargamers with no life... tell me all the differences between CEAW, AT, TOAOW3, and other similar games you have played. Which ones you like best, and why?

I MIGHT get some more gaming time in near future, and decent operational level wargame might make it to my gaming list... but I have eye for other games as well, like Civilization IV

I still like Civ III MUCH, MUCH better than Civ IV. It's a lot easier to mod (unless you happen to be a programmer) and it's easier to make custom graphics for (unless you happen to own a high end $3000 graphics program like 3DSmax). Civ IV is like Disney/Priates of Penzance meet Sid Meier. [sm=vomit-smiley-020.gif]

CEAW reminds me a lot of HOI2 or GG's WaW, except with hexes instead of provinces (which I think is a much better system of movement). Also I think the unit graphics are more apealing than those of HOI. The only thing HOI has which might be a little better is their economic system and the fact that you can start out in 1936 instead of on the eve of war. Other than that, overall I prefer CEAW well over HOI. Much better game I think. [:)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI