OT The 1967 "Ice Bowl" (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

KG Erwin -> OT The 1967 "Ice Bowl" (10/17/2008 7:56:01 PM)

There's a great 15-min film on this legendary game here: http://www.nfl.com/videos?categoryId=nflFilms Look under "America's Game 2006".

To me, a long-time Packers fan, this game summed up what the Lombardi-era Green Bay team was all about: determination, confidence and triumph over adversity. These are characteristics which need to be re-emphasized in today's America.

Anyway, this short film features excellent game footage and modern-day interviews with LB Dave Robinson, G Jerry Kramer and FB Chuck Mercein.

1925frank -> RE: OT The 1967 "Ice Bowl" (10/17/2008 8:04:25 PM)

Thanks.

Frido1207 -> RE: OT The 1967 "Ice Bowl" (10/17/2008 8:39:27 PM)

Good stuff KG Erwin.
A bit pity that they didnīt add some original commentary on the game from Lombardi itself.
Sidenote: The fieldgoal kicking technique they used looks quite strange nowadays.

HansBolter -> RE: OT The 1967 "Ice Bowl" (10/17/2008 9:41:05 PM)

Thanks very much for that link. What a memory.

I was a HUGE Packer fan as a young boy in the 60's.

Bart Starr was my idol and I was glued to the screen along with my father watching them win one of the most thrilling games in history.

Great Stuff!!

Canoerebel -> RE: OT The 1967 "Ice Bowl" (10/17/2008 9:56:57 PM)

Ah, yes, football in the late '60s and '70s was a thing of beauty.  I grew up a Miami Dolphins fans.  The top-notch teams of that era were the Baltimore Colts, Dallas Cowboys, Minnesota Vikings, Oakland Raiders, and Kansas City Chiefs.

I haven't watched a pro-football game in 25 years.  I would in a heartbeat if I could watch the Baltimore Colts play the St. Louis Cardinals.  But I have no interest in watching the Arizona Cardinals play the St. Louis Rams.  Gag.

Phatguy -> RE: OT The 1967 "Ice Bowl" (10/17/2008 10:50:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Ah, yes, football in the late '60s and '70s was a thing of beauty.  I grew up a Miami Dolphins fans.  The top-notch teams of that era were the Baltimore Colts, Dallas Cowboys, Minnesota Vikings, Oakland Raiders, and Kansas City Chiefs.

I haven't watched a pro-football game in 25 years.  I would in a heartbeat if I could watch the Baltimore Colts play the St. Louis Cardinals.  But I have no interest in watching the Arizona Cardinals play the St. Louis Rams.  Gag.

Ya forgot the Bills(60's)..Oh wait, are my colors showing?

ilovestrategy -> RE: OT The 1967 "Ice Bowl" (10/17/2008 11:08:42 PM)

That brings back memories! I miss football from the 70's. I used to love how the Raiders had that reputation of being the bad boys of football, back when Madden was coach.
And the "Steel" Curtain.
My dad went to Sunday school with Terry Bradshaw. I remember him getting mad because he hated him and seeing him gain popularity while playing in college. I recall he once said that he would be really upset if Bradshaw ever got famous............[:D]

Anyone remember this?

[image]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l232/mymyharlow/terrybradshawpnbutter.jpg[/image]

JudgeDredd -> RE: OT The 1967 "Ice Bowl" (10/17/2008 11:53:03 PM)

Another great link KG.

As a UK "amateur" US Football fan, I love the "long lost" stuff!. Thx

Big B -> RE: OT The 1967 "Ice Bowl" (10/18/2008 2:35:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Thanks very much for that link. What a memory.

I was a HUGE Packer fan as a young boy in the 60's.

Bart Starr was my idol and I was glued to the screen along with my father watching them win one of the most thrilling games in history.

Great Stuff!!

Well, yeah,

But I was (for many years) a great L.A. Rams fan, and I was ecstatic when Roman Gabriel, the Fearsome Foursome, and the Rams beat those Green Bay Packers late that season to get into the playoffs for the first time since the 50's - only to loose to them in the playoffs back in 1967...(we all know they should have beat them...ahem).
Anyway, for us looser Rams fans of those wonderful years, at least that heralded a long run of "Damn! We almost got there!".

For some older guys like me, the mid 1960's - into the 1970's were THE golden years of the NFL.

I don't feel we will ever know their like again - if you remember the pride of those proud dynasties of the day - before Free-Agency and myriad rule changes.

B

KG Erwin -> RE: OT The 1967 "Ice Bowl" (10/18/2008 4:30:39 AM)

I didn't get into watching pro football until 1971, when I was 14. The Lombardi years were before I was old enough to understand or care for the game. After I read Jerry Kramer's classic "Instant Replay", I was hooked on that era, and that team. Thankfully, we have the fantastic resources of NFL Films to give us a glimpse into those golden years.

I found a 4-DVD set on Amazon, which contains the NFL Films productions "The Complete History of the Green Bay Packers" and "The Super Bowl Years", which includes the fantastic 1996 season and the return of "Titletown". I am definitely gonna order that collection.

PS Jerry Kramer is now 72 years old, and still looks tough. Sadly, though, several of those legendary players, such as Ray Nitschke, Willie Davis and Henry Jordan, are no longer with us.

Yogi the Great -> RE: OT The 1967 "Ice Bowl" (10/18/2008 5:57:16 PM)

Yes I remember it well.  Green Bay is the real America's Team the only one based on the Countries Heartland

[&o]Hail Lombardi  [&o]Hail Lambeau  [&o]Hail Wisconsin  [&o]Hail Green & Gold  [&o]Hail to me Yogi the Great

Oh heck, to Hell with it [sm=00000619.gif]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI