Changing Orders of Battle (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition

skyhawk1 -> Changing Orders of Battle (10/19/2008 1:21:56 PM)

Gidday all,

Is it possible to take an existing Battleset and simply change the OOB?[&:]

If it is possible will the AI "operate" it's changes or will the AI OOB need to remain as original?[&:]

I am too old and dumb (lazy??[;)]) to build a battleset from scratch.[>:]

I want to game various "existing/proposed/ordered" Australian assets against SE Asian countries such as Indonesia/Malaysia/Singapore/Thailand etc. Where those countries have/are acquiring advanced Russian assets including SU27 and it's variants (SU30-MKI etc) plus "new" warships against Australian F-18A's & F's (later F-35B's) with full AWAC and AAR support with the F-100 AWD and updated ANZAC Frigates of the RAN but no F-111's and possibly using the 2 ordered LPD's as "Harrier/F-35B" Carriers.

Australia is being told that we can't afford and don't need our LPD's to be Fixed Wing capable even though Australia's Stated Policy is one of FORWARD DEFENCE (their term) -- I don't see how any amphibious Task Force can operate outside the cover of Australian land based Air Cover WITHOUT some sort of seabourne fighter aircraft. The way things look we (Australia) are going to end up with 2 (or 3) LPD's (27000 tonnes each), 3 (or 4) 'Australianised' F-100 Destroyers (Aegis), 8 ANZAC Updated Frigates, 6 Collins Class SSK's plus Support Vessels. These ships will operate a mix of NH-90, AH-1 Tigers plus whatever is "hung on to" of the legacy helo fleet of Seakings, Seahawk, Chinook etc.

In an operation such as the East Timor "invasion" of a few years ago we'd have been okay because it was within range of our land-based aircover BUT what if the Indonesions decided to take Christmas Island??? Could we have packed a couple of thousand Troops with their vehicles and supplies into the LPD's added a couple of F-100's, 4 ANZACS and a couple of Collins's and blown them off our Island with no air cover at all?

If I was the Task Force Commander I'd sure as hell NOT want to be relying TOTALLY on AAM's for what is effectively the ENTIRE Royal AUstralian NAvy plus a good proportion of our land forces - particularly as ASM's can be launched OUTSIDE the envelope of our AAM's.

Sorry for the long-winded question but I figured I needed to outline what I want to do so as to get a "qualified" answer.

I assume that I'll be told if there are copyrite problems.....[&o][:-][&o][:-]

Thanks.[sm=00000924.gif]

TonyE -> RE: Changing Orders of Battle (10/19/2008 6:03:11 PM)

Hi Steve,
Without editing the database there is no way to do what you propose. Even by editing the database you wouldn't get a very pleasant result. The only good way to change out the OOB is to edit the scenarios, depending upon the changes recreating them.
On the plus side, most if not all of the platforms you are looking for already exist in the database and just need your scenario written. Maybe someone will make your scenario or help you thru the process (time to throw in your offers of support everyone!). Thank you for being long winded, I know I often like to know the reason behind the question.
Copyright problems only arise if you are modifying an existing scenario/database/battleset in which case ask the author permission. If the author cannot be reached then contact CV32 or myself and we'll see what can be arranged. If you are making a new scenario and using an existing database and not changing that database, you don't need any permission. It is just when you are modifying something that the permission request comes into play (and in large part it is a courtesy quickly attained).

skyhawk1 -> RE: Changing Orders of Battle (10/20/2008 4:17:13 AM)

Thanks Tony.[8D]

I have to admit that editing scenario's sounds better (for my dopy butt) than trying to build one from scratch. I recall a scenario from "The Dim, Dark Past" that actually pitted Australia against Indonesia but which version of Harpoon it was from escapes me.

SE Asia (which, geographically, includes Australia) has the biggest "Arms Race" in memory going on at the moment (with the rapid spread of Russian Weapons Systems throughout) and has the potential for some interesting scenario's. Perhaps one of the very talented Battleset/scenario 'builders' might like to explore this area.[&o][&o][&o][&o][&o]

I'm interested in what anyone else has to say.

btw ..... how do I edit a scenario?[&:][X(][&:][X(]

hermanhum -> Harpoon 3 [ANW] scenarios for the PlayersDB (10/20/2008 6:20:44 AM)

The two scenarios that I think you are talking about are: AustralAsian War I & II. ANZAC forces were pitted against Indonesian forces. They were originally created for Harpoon 2 and versions have been re-made for Harpoon 3 and ANW with the PlayersDB.

The WestPac battleset and map were just recently added to Harpoon Classic. So, I'm pretty certain it wasn't for this version of computer Harpoon.

TonyE -> RE: Changing Orders of Battle (10/21/2008 3:42:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: skyhawk1

Thanks Tony.[8D]

btw ..... how do I edit a scenario?[&:][X(][&:][X(]

No problem, yet another reason I'm not married; I tend to be pretty blunt when something just isn't likely to happen [:(].

Editing scenarios is a fairly large topic but you start by running the scenario editor (aka SE). You can reach it thru your Start Menu\Larry Bond's Harpoon...\Larry Bond's Harpoon...Scenario Editor. Those long names are a killer! Anyway, that will load the scenario editor.

The first prompt you get asks which battleset to use. To get the most from the game, use the EC2003 or Western Pacific battlesets (it sounds like you are looking for WestPac anyway), select one of them then click OK.

You will then see the map, go to the File menu (if you are creating a new scenario you can start adding groups immediately). To edit an existing scenario choose "Edit battleset Scenario" or "Edit User Scenario". For this experiment, choose Edit battleset scenario.

Agree to discard your changes since you haven't made any.

Now select which battleset scenario you want to edit. Choose the first scenario and click OK. Now the groups for that scenario will load. From there you may want to look at the Scenario Editor section of the user manual. It will answer a few of the questions, feel free to ask more after that.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI