which civil war game? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

waynev -> which civil war game? (10/19/2008 7:54:53 PM)

I was looking for info on the 3 civil war games listed- Ageod ACW, FoF, War between the States.
I enjoy grand campaign strategic games such as the old Sumter To Appomatox game.
Tactical battles are not as important to me. Ease of use is also a consideration.
Any comparasions, suggestions or criticisms of the games would be appreciated.

Phatguy -> RE: which civil war game? (10/19/2008 8:30:41 PM)

I got all three.. Each is good and no matter which way you go you should not be dissapointed

Hertston -> RE: which civil war game? (10/19/2008 8:34:44 PM)

All three are very good. FoF is the only one with tactical battles, but it would be unfair to exclude it just because you won't use them. War Between the States is your best bet, IMHO. It's a more elegant, if rather simpler, system than the AGEOD game, and it plays considerably faster.

Arsan -> RE: which civil war game? (10/19/2008 9:24:34 PM)

Hi
You can take a look at the AGEOD game for yourself trying the demo
Download it from here
http://www.ageod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=115

AGEOD AACW is quite complicated and takes a while to play but IMHO its the best and more engrossing game (ACW themed or not) i have played in years.[&o]
It made a Civil War history fan of me [X(][:D]

JudgeDredd -> RE: which civil war game? (10/19/2008 9:51:14 PM)

quote:

Tactical battles are not as important to me. Ease of use is also a consideration

Because of this statement, I think your best bet is War Between the States. It's by no means lite, and you will have to do a lot of thinking...but it's a lighter game than the other two for sure. (Ease of use being your concern).

A shame, as Forge of Freedom is absolutely top notch. But it is pretty complex and does have tactical battles...although, having said that, you have a plethora of options to tick and untick (along with, iirc, 3 pre-set settings (beginner etc etc). Also you can opt NOT to play out tactical battles.

geez. I've just made it hard for myself to make a decision!

Well, Forge of Freedom is a fantastic game...one of the best, but based on what you're looking for, I think War Between the States is the one for you.

I do have AGEOD American Civil War, but I've never played more than a couple of turns of it...not for any other reason than I "was distracted" and never went back to it.

killroyishere -> RE: which civil war game? (10/20/2008 12:40:44 AM)

Forge of Freedom because it gives you a choice and a broad range of whatifs, then War Between the States because it doesn't take a lifetime to play it, then AGEOD's because it is overly complex. 

waynev -> RE: which civil war game? (10/20/2008 1:43:20 AM)

Thanks for all the info.
I was also wondering about comparasions of leader importance between the games.
Also, can the games continue after 65 or is there a finite end of campaign?
Lastly, is there are modding or editing possible or avaiable for them?

thanks again.

Gil R. -> RE: which civil war game? (10/20/2008 2:03:45 AM)

As JudgeDredd pointed out, FOF can easily be played without tactical battles -- just choose "Always Quick Combat" or "Always Instant Combat" and the game becomes purely strategic.

Other options let you play beyond 1865 or try for total victory.

[image]local://upfiles/16018/946FC9DD0DDE4D09BAC45C1EE6512353.jpg[/image]

NefariousKoel -> RE: which civil war game? (10/20/2008 5:02:11 AM)

They all have their advantages but I picked up AACW recently and it's wonderful. 

Perhaps a bit thick on the learning curve for some people, though. 

Terminus -> RE: which civil war game? (10/20/2008 5:19:02 AM)

I have FoF and AGEOD ACW, and much prefer the latter, even though it's more complicated than FoF. That's the WitP player in me, I guess...[:D]

JudgeDredd -> RE: which civil war game? (10/20/2008 7:42:13 AM)

That pic of Forge of Freedom wants me to start another game up!!!

Arsan -> RE: which civil war game? (10/20/2008 8:03:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: waynev

Thanks for all the info.
I was also wondering about comparasions of leader importance between the games.
Also, can the games continue after 65 or is there a finite end of campaign?
Lastly, is there are modding or editing possible or avaiable for them?

thanks again.

Hi

Leaders: i would say they are extremely important in all three games.

Continue after 65: on AACW (well, on all AGEOD games) you can continue playing after the historical end date but there will be no more historical events.
Also you can continue playing after the Victory or Defeat screen if it happens before the historical end of the war.

Modding: Not sure about FoF or WBTS, but there is quite some mods done and in the making for AACW. Check this forum
http://www.ageod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=130
Nearly all in the game is modable if you know how to edit excel and text files and and have time for it.
There are alternative Grand Campaigns, new scenarios, and tons of tweaks to leaders, units, events, graphics, game system...
The best changes are frequently approved by the developers and added to the regular game on patches.
There is even a guy who is making a Punic Wars mod based on Napoleons Campaign AGEOD game (that use a similar engine to AACW).

Regards

Big B -> RE: which civil war game? (10/21/2008 12:45:13 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

I have FoF and AGEOD ACW, and much prefer the latter, even though it's more complicated than FoF. That's the WitP player in me, I guess...[:D]

I agree with Mr T. - I prefer AACW.

I was just shopping for a good ACW game a while ago, and after reading everything on the forums I could, I settled on AACW - strictly because it was the most complicated game. That will not be best for everyone - obviously.

But if what turns you on most is the most in-depth and complicated games - AACW is the civil war game for you, assuming tactical battles are not the most important thing for you.

The other reason I chose AACW is because I was specifically looking for a good PBEM game, and again I think AACW fits that best here.

If you really want good tactical battles more than anything else, I suggest you give John Tiller's Battleground series a try
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/319/details/John.Tiller%27s.Battleground.Civil.War
That one is all about tactical battles on a minute scale.

The other titles, FoF and Gary Grigsby’s War Between the States are compromises between these two extremes. So I guess it all boils down to what style of game you enjoy most.

B

Gil R. -> RE: which civil war game? (10/21/2008 1:05:10 AM)

I should have posted this sooner: over in the FOF forum I've been maintaining an index to all of the threads I know of in which there are substantial discussions in which people owning two or more of the games compare FOF with AACW and/or WBTS. So, additional opinions -- not all of them favorable to FOF, by any means! -- can be found here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1503227

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI