Any Axis & Allies fans out there? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Doobious -> Any Axis & Allies fans out there? (10/20/2008 7:13:02 PM)

Back in college, we used to play the classic board game almost weekly. Recently I stumbled across a shareware version of the game with a ton of mods and maps and thought I would share it with everyone.

http://triplea.sourceforge.net/mywiki/TripleA

There is a devoted community of developers and modders supporting the game, so if you feel like a classic game of Axis & Allies come on over for a quick war! Give the Big World or New World Order mods a try for a more challanging experience, if the original is too "beer and pretzels" for your tastes.

Enjoy!

GaryChildress -> RE: Any Axis & Allies fans out there? (10/20/2008 7:50:32 PM)

I remember playing the board game Axis and Allies a couple times and decidedly not liking it that much. In many ways I think Commander: Europe at War is sort of similar to Axis and Allies except it uses hexes and much the same dynamics as Panzer General. It has a production system and research and things of that sort.

I've never been a big fan of the whole province system of movement. Hexes just seem more natural to wargames to me. I bought Hearts of Iron II and played it a little but got tired of the game in a short time. I also tried the demo of GG's World at War, another map split into provinces, and wasn't really captivated by it.

Doobious -> RE: Any Axis & Allies fans out there? (10/20/2008 8:08:17 PM)

I played GGWAW and enjoyed it.

HoI II was a bit too much for me. I like games to be a bit clearer to understand and more intuitave to play. For me, HoI was neither of these.

Commander:Eurpoe at War looks like a fun game, very similar to PG, which I loved back in the day, but I have a serious mental block about being forced to play a game in a tiny window on my 24" monitor because there are no optional screen resolutions supported. Full screen is a mess, and playing in a tiny window that I cannot resize is annoying. This is an issue I have complained about for a few years now, only to have it fall on deaf ears. There alot of games that I bet are very good, that I have passed on because there is no flexability in the way it is viewed onscreen. See this post for more info.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1936158

None the less, I hope you give this free version of A&A a try!

Yogi the Great -> RE: Any Axis & Allies fans out there? (10/20/2008 8:45:41 PM)

I purchased and played Axis & Allies Board Game a few times - but the big "war game" (and I use the term loosely) in college days of my time was Risk.  Many a Sunday night game in the dorm lounge were played.  They would even get an audience at times.  I recall a few quite heated arguments over the game as well.

Anyway the games I remember being played in the dorm lounge other then Risk were Poker, Sheepshead and Vince Lombardi Football.  The popularity of the latter two games probably had a lot to do with being in Wisconsin.

GaryChildress -> RE: Any Axis & Allies fans out there? (10/20/2008 10:17:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doobious

I played GGWAW and enjoyed it.

HoI II was a bit too much for me. I like games to be a bit clearer to understand and more intuitave to play. For me, HoI was neither of these.

Commander:Eurpoe at War looks like a fun game, very similar to PG, which I loved back in the day, but I have a serious mental block about being forced to play a game in a tiny window on my 24" monitor because there are no optional screen resolutions supported. Full screen is a mess, and playing in a tiny window that I cannot resize is annoying. This is an issue I have complained about for a few years now, only to have it fall on deaf ears. There alot of games that I bet are very good, that I have passed on because there is no flexability in the way it is viewed onscreen. See this post for more info.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1936158

None the less, I hope you give this free version of A&A a try!

If A&A is free I may give it a try. [8D] I agree very much with your assessment of HOI II. Not a very intuitive game I didn't think. It has some appeal to me but diplomacy, trade, and even research seemed sort of cumbersome at times and detracted a little from the enjoyment of the game (especially the whole diplomacy thing. For some reason I could seldom get the Italians to join the Axis).

I still have a regular width monitor so I'm not as concerned about wide screen view. Of course if I had a wide screen I would be somewhat disappointed that CEAW wasn't more flexible with it. But I still think CEAW is a LOT of fun to play.

GaryChildress -> RE: Any Axis & Allies fans out there? (10/20/2008 10:18:14 PM)

Now, RISK (the board game) does bring back some fond memories of world domination and imperialism. [:D]

NefariousKoel -> RE: Any Axis & Allies fans out there? (10/21/2008 7:45:51 AM)

I still have the two A&A games I bought back in the 80s.  The box is half dead and it's not been broke out in ages, but it was always good to have those extra pieces. [;)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI