New patch feedback? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Commander - Napoleon at War

Toby42 -> New patch feedback? (11/8/2008 4:31:05 PM)

The initial reviews from members kept me from buying this title. That and the fact that you had to purchase leaders??? Is there any feedback on the new patch yet? I would like to get this title as I'm about burned out on WWII....

Sgt.Fury25 -> RE: New patch feedback? (11/8/2008 5:51:23 PM)

There is a definite improvement in the ai when on the attack,instead of sitting back it will give a good offensive battle.Go for it!

Toby42 -> RE: New patch feedback? (11/8/2008 5:57:23 PM)

Thanks for the reply.

I would "Assume" that the AI works better with the shorter scenario's? In the shorter scenario's, do you have to purchase leaders? This is another item that turned me off!! I would think that with a Historical setting for this game, that leaders would appear as they did historically....

Uncle_Joe -> RE: New patch feedback? (11/8/2008 6:34:05 PM)

Yep, its night and day. The AI (as France, with one level of advantage) steamrolled Austria and has now wheeled, crushed Saxony and will likely annihilate Prussia before my Russians can stop them. The naval side is still pretty weak (the French are still 100% scrubbed in the first few turns), but the land element is significantly more fun.

Overall, I'm very impressed with what I've seen so far. I'd say go for it.

zubee -> RE: New patch feedback? (11/8/2008 8:58:18 PM)

yes,  the ai when on the attack,instead of sitting back it will give a good offensive battle.Go for it!

Koagul -> RE: New patch feedback? (11/9/2008 10:10:53 AM)

Hi there,
there are some problems with the AI building units in the new patch.
IOt seems that Russians and Prussian don't build troops anymore.

Hope this will be patched soon...

firepowerjohan -> RE: New patch feedback? (11/9/2008 11:09:20 AM)

There is a problem with Cavalry and that AI awaits more horses instead of building infantry. This means AI can potentially save up 999 Production Points or more. It is fixed already so will be in the next update.

pzgndr -> RE: New patch feedback? (11/9/2008 1:28:10 PM)

quote:

The AI (as France, with one level of advantage) steamrolled Austria and has now wheeled, crushed Saxony and will likely annihilate Prussia before my Russians can stop them.

I had a different experience last night, same settings. France steamrolled Austria OK. I noted fewer at-start Russians now, just a light inf corps near Austria? Anyway I proceeded to build Russians. By the time France attacked Saxony and Prussia, I had a Russian army group moving into Austria and another into Prussia, both with half a dozen corps. Leipzig fell to the French OK, but after that they were chewed up by attacks from North, East and South; not exactly the historical result. Prussians then took Hanover, and Russians moved onto Munich and Frankfurt. All this time I'm wondering, WHERE ARE THE FRENCH? Well I finally got cav within range of Paris and spotted half a dozen corps sitting about (with some new leaders!). This was now into 1807 and I stopped.

A couple of AI observations. One, there should have been a French reaction when Russia started advancing back into Austria in 1806 and started liberating French-controlled resources. Two, except for a smaller defensive garrison of Paris (if no actual threat, why so large?), the rest of the French army should be committed to its wars. The French main effort against Prussia was weak, and nothing was available to block the Russians advancing. So, reconsider why so many AI units cluster around the capital for defense? For France, it probably needs a corps near Brest and Antwerp and a couple near Paris in case Britain gets uppity; the rest should be out kicking butt. Maybe give the AI a spotting advantage so it can shift forces around better.

And a couple of other observations. Naval movement rates could maybe be doubled? Ships are so slooooow. And is there a way to edit the PNG image files without getting a white box background? The fortress icons are about the right size and I'd like to reduce the capitals and cities to same size. Just a thought.

firepowerjohan -> RE: New patch feedback? (11/9/2008 1:47:26 PM)

What difficulty level did you play on pzgndr?
Did France buy units or did they have 999 PP?

pzgndr -> RE: New patch feedback? (11/9/2008 3:04:39 PM)

I gave French AI medium advantage, FOW on.  I can't verify what they bought, but I'm sure they were buying units.  Key point, which I've seen commented about previously, is that AI continues to over-defend Paris.  There needs to be some defenders held back of course, but not half the army.

Uncle_Joe -> RE: New patch feedback? (11/9/2008 6:30:46 PM)

Yep, I played my game out till logical conclusion (I'm not going to bother grinding Paris down - the game is over for all intents and purposes). And yes, the AI still leaves too many units guarding the rear. When things were hanging in the balance in Germany, having those extra 8-10 units might have broken me. But with them splitting up like that, I was able to mass up enough and win at the front. It didnt help that they had some really good units (with leaders) garrisoning cities like Prague for no real reason.

Overall, I think the patched AI is a HUGE improvement and the game is a lot of fun to play. I'm hoping with further refinement, the game will be even better.

A few suggestions/opinions:

1)I dont think it should take a unit's turn to attach a leader. Leader are already pricey IMO. Losing a turn makes them very questionable.

2) Research seems FAR FAR too slow. The game was effectively decided in 30 turns. In that time, with 3 science points with England and 2 with Russia (and focusing), I made a total of 2 techs. For the cost of the scientists, I think I would be much better off just buying more troops earlier on. The effects just are not that dramatic for the cost and time investment.

3) It DEFINATELY should not take your turn to upgrade units! Good lord. That alone almost makes research not worthwhile IMO. The units that need the help the most cant afford to waste a turn upgrading to get +1 on a stat or so. At the very least, roll the 'rebuild' action in with an upgrade so that you can strengthen the unit AND upgrade it at the same time. Coupled with the above cost, I dont think I would bother to research again in a future game. Perhaps if there was some 'peace time' or something it might work out, but as it stands, time and units in the field are worth a lot more than a few possible upgrades (and the time lost to upgrade the units) IMO.

4) Is there any way to give some help to the naval game? It seems really lackluster. You fight the one big battle at the start (and again, its pretty one-sided) and thats it. From then on I never saw another French ship. The cost and especially the time to build again seem FAR too high for the payoff. With the Coalition, I spanked the French fleet, then just sat in port with all my SoLs. I had my Frigates in blockade positions around France and killed a few Convoys. Beyond that, nothing ever happened at sea again. Perhaps lower the costs and maybe give ships adjacent to a port a defensive bonus? That way maybe the French could survive the first few turns and force the Brits to sit on their ports for a while?

5) Cavalry. They seem a bit fragile for the cost (again, and build time). They dont seem to hit too much harder than Line infantry and they die extremely quickly. Perhaps allow them to move then attack and then move again (even if just 1 hex). Either that or give them a much higher chance to retreat (and/or retreat up to 3 hexes)? Cav seem to get one attack and then be cut down. The support feature is nice, but I dont tend to see too dramatic of results from it.

6) Any way for England to give money/horse to allies? IIRC, England gave a lot of money/arms to nations on the continent to oppose France. In the game, England seems to get a lot of horse convoys which dont mean anything IMO. They have no overwhelming need for horses, but Russia and the other Coalition nations sure do. Allowing them to transfer them even at up to a 50% loss penalty would be a nice option.

Anyways, thanks for the patch. It make a world of difference so far. I'm interested to see what you can do with the game now to make it even better.

balto -> RE: New patch feedback? (11/10/2008 3:02:28 AM)

I still can easily stop the French from taking Austria. Just keep shipping in Russians. And I suck at wargaming.

Uncle Joe, your #6 point. Because the French fleet is wiped out by turn 3, have England make Cavalry and Arty, and sea transport them to Riga, then wagon them in. Only takes like 3 turns to get the first one into Russia. So by creating a Cavalry/artillery every turn or every other turn, you have an endless supply of Cav and Arty. Have Russia just creat Inf. When Prussia enters war, well your sea transport distance is even shorter for Britain.

Now if you PBEM, maybe those little tweeks would help, but I doubt it. The French Navy is wiped out by turn 3 and Russia can keep pumping in troops and Britain can sea transport Cav and Arty.

But as long as the patches keep helping France, things are going in the right direction.

PS - Next patch, make it so that Britain cannot draw supply from Moscow. Reduce coalition wagon transport from 3 to 1. And you have a better base to give France a shot.

Koagul -> RE: New patch feedback? (11/10/2008 1:38:10 PM)

There is a big problem in this patch.
Playing french in grand campaign, (fog of war off) , AI is not building any units ...

Some commanders for the English but that's all (i'm playing with moderate advantage for coalition).

Hope this will be corrected soon

Toby42 -> RE: New patch feedback? (11/10/2008 1:51:37 PM)

It sounds like this game is still not ready! I'm sorry that a lot of you have to be playtesters for the ones of us that are on the "Fence"....

firepowerjohan -> RE: New patch feedback? (11/10/2008 3:34:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: firepowerjohan

There is a problem with Cavalry and that AI awaits more horses instead of building infantry. This means AI can potentially save up 999 Production Points or more. It is fixed already so will be in the next update.

Sgt.Fury25 -> RE: New patch feedback? (11/10/2008 4:16:16 PM)

Hey TrealeSorry I spoke to soon,After playing a full game as French I noticed that the coalition were not producing any units.This will be addressed in another patch.So hold off on purchasing if you want.[8|]

Toby42 -> RE: New patch feedback? (11/10/2008 5:51:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ronson

Hey TrealeSorry I spoke to soon,After playing a full game as French I noticed that the coalition were not producing any units.This will be addressed in another patch.So hold off on purchasing if you want.[8|]

How does the AI do in the shorter scenario's??

IainMcNeil -> RE: New patch feedback? (11/10/2008 8:53:31 PM)

This is a beta patch therefore there are still bugs.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI