(Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> After Action Reports

siRkid -> (5/5/2002 6:50:18 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Crocky
[B]Looks like Rick has decided that Shortland poses to much of a threat....both carriers and surface TF go after it this turn..will let him see his turn ......dont want to spoil his fun....before further reports [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, I tried another raid on Shortland but this time I backed it up with my carrier TF. The bombardment went good and I sunk several Jap Transports. However, some bombers got through to one of my carriers and put it out of action. All and all the raid was not worth it.

The battle for Russell Island continues. My marine Raider and Paratroopers are still holding on. I managed to slipped in a tank company with about 23 shamans and tired to take the airfield. However, Crocky sent in a bombardment TF that turn and disrupted my attack. Most of my tanks were destroyed in the assault so we are back to where we started.

The air over New Guinea is still not a save place to be. I would say things are about even there.

Crocky sent down a bombardment TF to hit Gilli Gilli and discovered that I had placed some coastal batters on the base. Several CA were damaged. I hope this will give them, the men and crews at Gilli Gilli, a well deserved break.

Rob Roberson -> Morale (5/6/2002 3:53:45 AM)

What is the morale of your troops on Russel? I have noticed in your reports after early heavy fighting things always seem to settle into a combat routine. Is this because of wear and tear on the units, lessoning of morale or a combination of both? I guess my question is do you have to insert fresh units constantly to get your forces to make the necessary pushes towards your goals or ....

siRkid -> Re: Morale (5/6/2002 4:35:38 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rob Roberson
[B]What is the morale of your troops on Russel? I have noticed in your reports after early heavy fighting things always seem to settle into a combat routine. Is this because of wear and tear on the units, lessoning of morale or a combination of both? I guess my question is do you have to insert fresh units constantly to get your forces to make the necessary pushes towards your goals or .... [/B][/QUOTE]

Their moral is low and their disruption level is high. If you have enough supplies, you can rest them and let them recover. However, things are so even on the Island I will have to send in a lot more trops to get the job done.

Crocky -> (5/6/2002 5:18:56 AM)

But it all depends on wether I let him get supplies there or even move some more of my own troops in.....the feeling is at the moment Ricks taken too much ground with out a real fight so this might be it :)

sparrs -> AI? (5/6/2002 5:51:07 AM)

Hi Guys,

First off, great AAR, keep it coming. Wetting my appetite immensly!

Seeing as you are both on Beta team, could you just say a few words on the AI? How is it?

Thanks

Kev

siRkid -> (5/6/2002 9:13:51 AM)

Well I've played a few games against the AI and I think it is good. It makes well coordinated attacks and does an all around good job. I've only played against the Japs and I've notice it does not use mines as much as a human player and it is a little bit more cautious.

Rick

siRkid -> Update (5/7/2002 5:29:43 PM)

The battle for Russell Island continues. Neither side can get reinforcements to the island. Air units from Guadalcanal prevent the Japs and lack of transports the US from getting to the island.

The air war over New Guinea rages on with some pauses for crew rest. Port Moresby has been re-supplied and its airfield is fully operational. Gilli Gilli has been re-supplied and a PT boat SQ has been seen operating in the area. Lae is under constant pressure and is struggling to maintain air operations.

US air power is starting to make itself felt and the ratio of allied to Jap ship loses is slowly closing.

Crocky has been very quite lately and US intel thinks the Japs might be up to something.

Rick

vils -> Important message! (5/7/2002 9:46:34 PM)

According to the Geneve convention, torture is long ago forbidden!

So please stop this or release this hottie NOW!!!

:D

David Heath -> (5/7/2002 10:19:37 PM)

We don't live in Geneve

David

Crocky -> (5/8/2002 2:36:23 AM)

Russell Island I sent 2 destroyers on a fast transport mission to resupply the island unfortunately they ran into an allied bombardment TF heading for the same destination 1 BB 3 CA and quite a few DDs scratch that resupply effort......

New Guinea is causing headaches Madang is developing nicely as a base but now is starting to come under constant air attack....my Zeros and Oscars are struggling with his B26 & B25 raids on the base and mix that with Liberators and B17s flying from Cooktown.... I need a solution.....as Rick says Allied air power is starting to have an effect, hate to see what its like in another 6 months.

daniel123 -> (5/8/2002 4:08:27 AM)

I can't wait to see myself in that situation in 10-11 days. The days seem to be slowing down the closer the game shipping date approaches.

Crocky -> (5/8/2002 10:11:55 AM)

Madang is starting to feel the effects of 2-3 weeks of concerted bombing by the Allies the airfield is in service one turn out the next and my fighters are feeling the effects of continuous operations......I am now paying the price for not defending Lae early on and if I let Madang slip from my grasp Wewak will be next and Rick will control all of New Guinea :(

siRkid -> (5/8/2002 11:44:07 PM)

Supplies , supplies, supplies....I can't keep up. I spent several turns filling up Port Moresby and Gilli Gilli and then sent the majority of my transports to Guadalcanal. However, Port Moresby ships the supplies overland to the other bases in New Guinea and some is lost in the process. Already supplies are getting low. More transports are arriving every week but how long can my men last?

Rick:(

mogami -> Port Moresby at lunchtime (5/8/2002 11:50:15 PM)

"Hey Stan you had better watch out for Joe"

"Why's that?"

"He keeps looking at you and licking his chops and sez 'its praticaly chicken'"

Crocky -> (5/9/2002 5:48:02 PM)

Combat 4 October 1942

Allied aircraft continue to bomb Madang in New Guinea but my fighter continue to put up a heroic resistance against large numbers of Allied Bombers

The Allies are becoming well established at Lunga and this poses a threat to our operations in the area so at midnight a bombardment TF consisting of
BB Kirishima,
CA Chikuma,
CA Atago,
CA Kumano,
CA Furutaka,
CA Kako,
CL Nagara,
CL Yubari
DD Takanami
DD Maikaze
DD Shiranui
DD Suzukaze

weighs anchor a heads towards Lunga before the TF get within striking range a formation of Bettys raid Lunga attacking a US convoy causes the following damage

CLAA Juneau
DD Hutchins, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
TK Bishopdale, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
CLAA Atlanta
AP Kanimbla, Torpedo hits 1

As night falls our ships approach Lunga and engage 3 seperate TFs and then complete the bombardment of Lunga causing damage to personel planes and massive damage to the airfield

The following reports describe the results of the attacks on the allied TFs and airfield

Night Time Surface Combat, near Lunga at 38,40

Japanese Ships
BB Kirishima, Shell hits 3
CA Chikuma, Shell hits 2
CA Atago, Shell hits 2
CA Kumano, Shell hits 1
CA Furutaka, Shell hits 1
CA Kako, Shell hits 1
CL Nagara, Shell hits 4
CL Yubari
DD Takanami
DD Maikaze
DD Shiranui
DD Suzukaze

Allied Ships
CLAA Atlanta, Shell hits 8, Torpedo hits 5, and is sunk
CLAA Juneau, Shell hits 10, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Hutchins, Shell hits 7, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Gwin
AP George Clymer
AP Kanimbla
AP Wanganella
TK Tallulah
TK Bishopdale, on fire, heavy damage
AK Carina
AK Cetus

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Japanese Ships
BB Kirishima
CA Chikuma
CA Atago, Shell hits 4, on fire
CA Kumano
CA Furutaka, Shell hits 2, on fire
CA Kako
CL Nagara
CL Yubari
DD Takanami
DD Maikaze
DD Shiranui
DD Suzukaze

Allied Ships
DD Sterett
DD Wilson
DD Conyngham, Shell hits 2
DD Cushing, Shell hits 11, and is sunk
MSW Cairns
MSW Skylark
MSW Swallow, Shell hits 4, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Japanese Ships
BB Kirishima
CA Chikuma, Shell hits 1
CA Atago, on fire
CA Kumano
CA Furutaka, on fire
CA Kako
CL Nagara
CL Yubari
DD Takanami
DD Maikaze
DD Shiranui
DD Suzukaze

Allied Ships
SC 706, Shell hits 3, and is sunk
SC 707, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AK Almaack, Shell hits 12, and is sunk
AP Moreton Bay, Shell hits 7, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Allied ground losses: Caused by the sinking of allied transports
Men lost 464
Guns lost 1

Naval bombardment of Lunga, at 38,40

Allied aircraft

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat x 10 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat x 14 damaged
PBY Catalina x 2 destroyed
PBY Catalina x 9 damaged
SBD Dauntless x 2 destroyed
SBD Dauntless x 11 damaged

Allied ground losses:
Men lost 211
Guns lost 1

Airbase hits 22
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 83

A well worthwile mission at the cost of minor damage to several cruisers it is estimated that Lunga will be out of action for several days

:cool:

siRkid -> (5/9/2002 6:21:39 PM)

Well Crocky said it all, and I had to watch this just before leaving for work. I don't think my boss will understand why I will be so distracted and gloomy all day.:mad:

Crocky -> (5/10/2002 10:36:45 AM)

Ricks reply was immediate and poor old Madang got hammered over the last couple of days, waves of bombers slowly took it apart ....One raid had 35 B25 & 20 B26s in it and the following ones had over 70 B17s the earth did move.

dgaad -> (5/10/2002 4:29:03 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Preacher
[B]

Noted. However, before writing mines out of the code, we need to answer this question: WHY were mines not a factor in the South Pacific from '42-'43? Was it because they didn't exist? No. It is because the US took its minesweeping duties very seriously (as it should be).

Mines weren't a factor in destroying US ships or shipping. However, were they not a factor in at least causing the US to focus some attention on the duties of sweeping and clearing? What about the extra caution or extra planning involved because of the existence - or possible existence - of minefields? I, for one, would like to retain this level of realism in this game.

Also, I bet if we asked sailors who served aboard minesweepers we might get a much different response than "they were NOT a factor." :)

Just some thoughts.

Preacher [/B][/QUOTE]

You would. My grandfather served aboard a minesweeper in the Pacific in 1944-45. It was a dangerous job. From what I have read and what he told me, the Navy did take mines and minesweeping VERY seriously. The reason you don't hear much about mines is because of people like my grandfather and thousands of others who made sure that enemy mines at least were as little a factor as possible. But the resources were spent on minesweeping (and also on laying mines) and they did do a job and they did matter.

In war there alot of things going on in the background that you never hear about that DEFINE the nature of the war/battle/campaign, etc. You could say the partisans in Russia weren't "much" of a factor in the War in Russia, and you would be correct, but that's because of the ENORMOUS resources in men that both sides spent on them, in effect negating each other. The Germans had about 9 division-equivalents on anti-partisan duties which generally kept the main rail lines clear most of the time, and prevented them from having any significant effect on any of the major or even minor engagements of that war. But tell the guys on partisan duty, or tell the partisans, that they weren't a factor.

dgaad -> (5/10/2002 4:32:44 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kid
[B]

I managed to slipped in a tank company with about 23 shamans and tired to take the airfield. However, Crocky sent in a bombardment TF that turn and disrupted my attack. Most of my tanks were destroyed in the assault so we are back to where we started.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Shamans are unarmored clerics.

siRkid -> (5/10/2002 6:31:32 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dgaad
[B]

Shamans are unarmored clerics. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well at that point I was willing to try anything.:D

dgaad -> (5/10/2002 6:43:30 PM)

I'm guessing the shamans were there to bless the tank company and/or scare the bejeezus out of the japs?

Von_Frag -> More On Mines (5/11/2002 12:49:40 AM)

This is according to Samuel Elliot morrison in Two Ocean War.

"The naval part of this campaign for Munda was sparked off by hot clashes up the Slot between Japanese Tokyo Express to Villa and Rear Admiral Walden L. Ainsworth's light cruiser task force. On the night of 4-5 July, it bombarded Vila and Bairoko, but lost destroyer Strong ( Commander J.H. Wellings ) to a mine." Two Ocean War Pg 276

Von Frag

siRkid -> Major Battle in the making (5/12/2002 10:24:15 AM)

Check the map out for now. A detailed report will follow sometime late tomorrow.

Rick:)

cpt_Venomous -> looks good (5/12/2002 11:32:55 AM)

Counters looks simple but sharp, how many counter styles in UV?
And what are those multiple red and green various size dots stand for?

Supervisor -> (5/12/2002 12:30:18 PM)

[QUOTE]And what are those multiple red and green various size dots stand for?[/QUOTE]
I am thinking that they mean the following (from everything I've heard in the forums and after studying the map):

The dots in the center of the hex show potential/actual bases/ports and the color indicates who currently "controls" them. Most likely no actual units are there.

The larger "dots" that are offset to the side of the hex look to be identified minefields and the ownership of said minefield.

Not having the game, I can't be 100% sure, but it fits with the info that I've been able to glean.

Ron Saueracker -> Von Frag (5/12/2002 12:49:46 PM)

Postwar, it was found that Strong was sunk by a Long Lance fired from extreme range by a Japanese destroyer transport group and by subsequent shell hits by shore batteries. The torps were fired as an after thought as the IJN DDs successfully avoided combat with the American desron. They were fired from beyond their effective extreme range, hence the mine theory because the torp came from "out of nowhere.

Rob Roberson -> :) (5/12/2002 3:28:55 PM)

Just checked out your map :) what a mess.

Sedona

siRkid -> Re: looks good (5/12/2002 5:47:40 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cpt_Venomous
[B]Counters looks simple but sharp, how many counter styles in UV?
And what are those multiple red and green various size dots stand for? [/B][/QUOTE]

There is a good selection of counters that represent, Combat TF, Air Combat TF, Transport, Sub, Mine Warfare to name most of them. The red and green off center dots are the mines we have been talking about in this thread.

siRkid -> ARR (5/13/2002 10:42:10 AM)

After leaks to the news media tipped off the Japs that the Marines were leaving Guadalcanal, the Japs made a grab for it. For two days they bombarded the Americal division still holding the airfield. This combined with massive air assaults completely ruined the airfield. A valiant effort was made by the PT SQ to hold up the invasion fleet but they were quickly dispatched. Unlucky for Crocky I had sent two carriers and a surface combat group to the area last turn to cover the withdraw of the marines. A massive naval battle took place and, according to the reports the US fleet came off the better. I have condensed the battle report for this first action just to show totals. The report was too long other wise.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 10/16-17/42

Japanese Ship losses:
CV Soryu, Torpedo hits 1
CV Hiyo, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1
CVL Zuiho, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Inazuma, Bomb hits 1, on fire
APD 36, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
AP Neikai Maru, Bomb hits 6, on fire, heavy damage

Japanese aircraft losses:
A6M2 Zero x 2 damaged
A6M3 Zero x 3 destroyed
A6M3 Zero x 3 damaged
G4M1 Betty x 1 damaged
D3A Val x 10 destroyed
D3A Val x 12 damaged
B5N Kate x 20 destroyed
B5N Kate x 15 damaged

Allied Ships
CV Enterprise, Torpedo hits 1
CA Chicago, Bomb hits 1
CLAA San Diego, Torpedo hits 1
CL Phoenix, Bomb hits 1

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat x 9 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat x 9 damaged
SBD Dauntless x 14destroyed
SBD Dauntless x 32 damaged
TBF Avenger x 4 destroyed
TBF Avenger x 7 damaged
PBY Catalina x 1 destroyed
PBY Catalina x 1 damaged

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 10/18-19/42

I do not have a report for these days but this quote from Crocky sums it up nicely, “Now I know how you felt when you took Lunga.” After driving off his carriers, my one remaining carrier move to the south of the island and played havoc with his transports. Also, I had evacuated all the aircraft I could from Guadalcanal and moved them to San Cristobal. From there they took part in attacking the invasion fleet. I left about 100 disabled aircraft behind. I tried to make a ground assault to drive the Japs off the beach while they were still unloading, but due to fatigue from lack of supplies my attack failed. Although I did not sink even a fraction of the ships compared to what I had lost it still felt good.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 10/20 - 21/42

Next turn more of the same. I lost two subs that were sent to attack the transports and Crocky made two assaults. I came out the worst but still hold the base.

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell x 4 destroyed
G3M Nell x 3 damaged
A6M2 Zero x 1 destroyed
D3A Val x 3 destroyed
D3A Val x 5 damaged
B5N Kate x 3 damaged

Japanese Ships
CA Mogami, Shell hits 2
AP Oigawa Maru, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
AP Keisho Maru, on fire
AP Yamagiri Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AP China Maru, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage

Allied Ships
PT 109, Shell hits 42, and is sunk
AP William P. Biddle, Shell hits 15, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
AK Crater, Shell hits 8, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
SS Sturgeon, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
SS Triton, Shell hits 5, on fire, heavy damage

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat x 2 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat x 1 damaged

Ground combat at Lunga
Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 125
Guns lost 1

Allied ground losses:
Men lost 393

Ground combat at Lunga
Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 104

Allied ground losses:
Men lost 342

Crocky -> (5/13/2002 11:12:17 AM)

Hey Rick Ole Buddy:)

I wasnt listening to your news reports I had already decided to attack Lunga it took me nearly 3 weeks to assemble the transports and combat Tfs from Truk and move them the long way around so you didnt spot them and it came as a surprise ....didnt quite work one of you patrols spotted a Transport TF so I figured I has to go ...I was trying to get far enough south to come in from behind San Cristobal

Anyway hopefully I will have a turn to look at when I get home tonight from work

PS The damage reports you get are quite different to mine

Mine say Enterprise took 1 torpedo and a 250kg bomb and the other carrier Wasp? took a bomb as well....FOW dont you love it

Enjoy

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI