Cheers to our Vets-from every nation (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

jimi3 -> Cheers to our Vets-from every nation (11/12/2008 2:06:46 AM)

C’mon guys (or gals), this is Veteran’s Day. This is the “official” day we need to honor all the men and women who have served and sacrificed so much for us. We wargamers should be especially cognizant of the importance of this day. By definition, through our passion for history, we know more than the average person about the true devastation of war. Only those of you that have been there, you veterans, really know the truth. I’m a cop; I’ve heard a gun fired in anger twice in 24 years. It’s not fun or pretty. Today, I have been reading arguments that a World War I game doesn’t have the best graphics or the “rules” aren’t detailed enough. In WAR, that the AI troops aren’t set up correctly and die to soon. Today, we should remember that these troops we lead on our PCs, and loose, do represent real soldiers that fought in our wars of fascination and choice. Excuse me for rambling. I am now tipping a Guinness to all the veterans, past present and future. As a community, let’s remember what we are holding sacred with our gaming. We, of all people, should never forget. I apologize in advance if I offended anyone Thank you, Veterans!!!
Cheers, Jim
[sm=00000436.gif]

Greybriar -> RE: Cheers to our Vets-from every nation (11/12/2008 2:35:43 AM)

Happy Armistice Day everyone.

thegreatwent -> RE: Cheers to our Vets-from every nation (11/12/2008 3:57:20 AM)

Indeed, bless you Veteran's!

stevemk1a -> RE: Cheers to our Vets-from every nation (11/12/2008 6:19:52 AM)

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields, the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below...

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields...

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields...

We memorized this poem in school ... I hope they still do that.

06 Maestro -> RE: Cheers to our Vets-from every nation (11/12/2008 6:53:36 AM)

This was a good day; talked to my son about WW1 (he is itching to be an Army Ranger[&:])-what it really entails, saw the local Veterans Parade, bought a new game of the Great War, and had one personnel thank you-which meant a lot to me. We even had some fireworks nearby (actually for a new hotel opening-strange choice of opening day). Good food was part of the picture- a great day.

I salute the Vets everywhere. Happy Veterans Day!

SS Hauptsturmfuhrer -> RE: Cheers to our Vets-from every nation (11/12/2008 9:02:48 AM)

Cheers to the veterans of all nations.  Without their toil and deprivation, boredom and terror, loss of comrades and loved ones, scars and wounds, we would not have these wonderful games inspired by the wars. 

I think the American Vietnam vets deserve an extra cheer because of the lack of love they got after returning home.  Ditto for the vets from the loser nations like the Axis.

Sarge -> RE: Cheers to our Vets-from every nation (11/12/2008 6:20:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

I think the American Vietnam vets deserve an extra cheer because of the lack of love they got after returning home.  Ditto for the vets from the loser nations like the Axis.

Nevermind...............[8|]

06 Maestro -> RE: Cheers to our Vets-from every nation (11/12/2008 8:44:40 PM)

Sarge

For the most part, men are drafted into service to kill others that they do not have any personal quarrel with.

A former co-worker of mine was from the German city of Breslau (currently Wroclaw, Poland). His father was killed on the Eastern Front in 1942. The last time he saw him, he was sitting in their little back yard, drunk, and cussing about the Army and the war. He was gone early the next day; off to perform his duties as called upon, and never seen again by his family. His few stories related to me told of a good father, a good husband, and a good man.

My friend was in the Hitler Youth, as was required. He was 15 years old in 1945-he was put into uniform along with some of his buddies. Their duty was to run and repair phone lines to units during the siege of Breslau. Before the fall of the city, his mother raised hell with his commander, and they let him get out of uniform before the end. (BTW, if you want to read about a fantastic battle, check out the siege of Breslau; they surrendered on May 13th IIRC.

Bottom line is that a whole lot of people, good people, get caught up by the throes of history. They do what they have to do, generally in an honorable way. They deserve some respect IMO.
I hope you had a great Veterans Day. [sm=00000436.gif]

JamesM -> RE: Cheers to our Vets-from every nation (11/12/2008 9:13:44 PM)

"For the Fallen" by Laurence Binyon

With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill; Death august and royal
Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres,
There is music in the midst of desolation
And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted;
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them. We will remember them. "Repeated again when involved in an act of remembrance- the citation"

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain;
As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
To the end, to the end, they remain.

Grell -> RE: Cheers to our Vets-from every nation (11/12/2008 9:13:47 PM)

Happy Remembrance day.[:)]

Regards,

Grell

SuluSea -> RE: Cheers to our Vets-from every nation (11/12/2008 9:46:39 PM)

I always think of our fallen and those that have made sacrifices on Veterans Day. Thank You!!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI