Linked Campaigns (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series

Huib -> Linked Campaigns (11/13/2008 5:53:22 PM)

Does anybody play them?
I was thinking about making one and if a lot of people play them, maybe even two.

All input appreciated.

Huib

wespe -> RE: Linked Campaigns (11/13/2008 6:35:11 PM)

Hi Huib,
I´m very interested in historical linked campaigns, but they should not be too large!
Battaillon maximum Regimental size.
regards
Thomas

Huib -> RE: Linked Campaigns (11/13/2008 7:23:40 PM)

I was thinking about a linked campaign for the 4th King's Own Scottish Borderers in 1945, based on Peter White's book "With the Jocks", so that is Batallion size.

I would also like to do one for a German unit, but they didn't attack much anymore on the Western Front in 1945. So there I could forced to do something hypothetical rather than historical.

countblue -> RE: Linked Campaigns (11/13/2008 8:09:18 PM)

I would like to create one around the events in 1945 in and around my home town, vienna.
That would be in EF of course.

I started to do some maps but I havent got very far since my day time job doesnt give me a lot of free time.

CB

Huib -> RE: Linked Campaigns (11/13/2008 8:57:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: countblue

I would like to create one around the events in 1945 in and around my home town, vienna.
That would be in EF of course.

I started to do some maps but I havent got very far since my day time job doesnt give me a lot of free time.

CB

I have a 1944 1:50.000 WW2 German map of western part of Vienna (Lainzer Tiergarten) Blatt 4756/Ost, Baden. I don't use it. If you like to have it I'll send it over. It's in quite well preserved shape, so you could put it in a frame as well.

I did a project in Vienna in my previous job so I know it just a little. Very nice place.

Huib

Borst50 -> RE: Linked Campaigns (11/14/2008 1:40:10 AM)

For me, personally, I do not play LCG's, nor stand alone senarios, I am a DCG man. But this is just a personal preference. I am certain many forum members play LCG's.

Have you given any thought to designing DGC's as well?

junk2drive -> RE: Linked Campaigns (11/14/2008 1:58:19 AM)

I've started a couple but never finished them. Still learning. Seems I get to a battle that is just too difficult and give up.

OTOH if the designer warned me that the individual battle is supposed to be a loss then I might do my best and just move on.

simovitch -> RE: Linked Campaigns (11/14/2008 2:21:52 AM)

I like the LCG's - it's the best platform for playing JTCS vs the AI IMO. I just finished KG Peiper - hadn't played that since the '90's. Still able to whup on the AI (even with 1.04.[;)]) Also just reaching the outskirts of Berlin in "55th Guards Tank Brigade" in EF with a string of Major victories. Great fun.

I would like to do one as well but I don't have the time in the forseeable future. I always thought playing a combat command in US 3rd Armored or 4th Armored from Normandy to the Elbe would be a good one.

Jason Petho -> RE: Linked Campaigns (11/14/2008 3:08:42 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: simovitch
I would like to do one as well but I don't have the time in the forseeable future. I always thought playing a combat command in US 3rd Armored or 4th Armored from Normandy to the Elbe would be a good one.

Don Fox's "Patton's Vanguard" would be an excellent guide for following the 4th Armoured from Normandy to the Ardennes.

That was one of the first books I made maps for!

Jason Petho

simovitch -> RE: Linked Campaigns (11/14/2008 4:24:51 AM)

Lord knows I've done my share of research on this one as well...[;)]

[image]local://upfiles/19728/2390A9CE76D947C6B3B08DB082AB441E.jpg[/image]

countblue -> RE: Linked Campaigns (11/14/2008 8:19:27 PM)

Thanks a lot for the offer but I dont have enough time to do it in the moment so I am at the point of gathering info as much as I can. Still not sure what I can do and whats too much. ;-)

BTW
I am not much of a scenario designer just fiddling around for myself.

CB

countblue -> RE: Linked Campaigns (11/15/2008 6:00:42 PM)

I found the OOB for the german 21th tank division from may 1944 in german(with officers,vehicle types) on a german site and some overview OOBs (just the grouping of the division) for some others. (1st,2nd,17th)
Anybody needs them ?

CB

TAIL GUNNER -> RE: Linked Campaigns (11/15/2008 7:00:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: countblue

I found the OOB for the german 21th tank division from may 1944 in german(with officers,vehicle types) on a german site and some overview OOBs (just the grouping of the division) for some others. (1st,2nd,17th)
Anybody needs them ?

CB

Sure, I'd like to see what you have and compare to what I have.
Can you send to lightningchad@aol.com?

Wouldn't a 21. Panzer LCG just be the best?[8D]

ChadG

big dawg -> RE: Linked Campaigns (11/16/2008 6:10:16 PM)

Hello Huib,

Yes, I like the LCG.  The problem with the LCG is that I get through 4-5 scenarios & have too many losses to proceed.

Perhaps make more reinforcements available so the player will have the opportunity to finish one.

Thanks.

countblue -> RE: Linked Campaigns (11/17/2008 8:49:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Juggalo

Sure, I'd like to see what you have and compare to what I have.
Can you send to lightningchad@aol.com?

Wouldn't a 21. Panzer LCG just be the best?[8D]

ChadG

I did send you both version the german original I found and my translation

CB

countblue -> RE: Linked Campaigns (11/17/2008 10:20:59 PM)

I found a little battle description from the final days of the war 30. March to 22. April.
This gives me the chance to do a single scenario situated in some mountain area (Semmering) to the south of my home.

It involves ony few units (regimental size) of mountain infantry "Gebirgsjaeger" plus some AT guns vs. advance units from the 9.th Tankbrigade from the I. Guards mechKorps.
When I am done I´ll post it of course. ;-)

CB

junk2drive -> RE: Linked Campaigns Question (11/19/2008 2:06:17 AM)

Maybe this is more of a wish list item.

In LCGs I get points to repair units. If I am thinking correctly, there is no experience gain from battle to battle because before 1.03 or 1.04 there was only one type of unit.

Now that we have green, regular and veteran types, is there a way to put this to use in LCGs and DCGs?

Jason Petho -> RE: Linked Campaigns Question (11/19/2008 4:33:10 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

Maybe this is more of a wish list item.

In LCGs I get points to repair units. If I am thinking correctly, there is no experience gain from battle to battle because before 1.03 or 1.04 there was only one type of unit.

Now that we have green, regular and veteran types, is there a way to put this to use in LCGs and DCGs?

DCG's already incorporate the green, regular and veteran types. The MCS organizations do anyway.

LCG's you can do this, yes, but it takes more work on the designers end to get it right.

Jason Petho

junk2drive -> RE: Linked Campaigns Question (11/19/2008 4:59:57 AM)

Thanks for that info, but is it possible (maybe in the future) to upgrade as the battles go along?

Achsah -> RE: Linked Campaigns Question (11/19/2008 5:06:52 AM)

I like Linked campaigns. It seems there is a lack of defensive based ones accept an old sea lion. For me "to much" is either to many encounters or encounters with a lot of trucking or encounters where even after very strong play in a tough scenario that end the show right on the spot. 10th panzer in tunisia is the most difficult one i have tried and operation rumyestev. Both of these have very narrow success trees. My guess is this has more to do with the designer trying to make a campaign tough but not able to test thoroughly or at all. My day ended once when after totally trashing the enemy position in a very tight time controlled scenario (not a bad thing by the way) i find myself not only out of time but against powerful reserves accross a bridge out of artillery range etc etc. My point is 4 very well tested campaign highlights is stronger then many not so tested ones. Also a well designed defensive based game can be quite entertaining as a foil and will challenge strong dudes as much as the standard armored breakthrough(i think more) in spite of a stupid ai. Case and point try Crossroads to moskow and thin grey line in ef. Crossroads can be a real shock!

Jason Petho -> RE: Linked Campaigns Question (11/19/2008 2:15:29 PM)

quote:

Thanks for that info, but is it possible (maybe in the future) to upgrade as the battles go along?

I'm not clear what you're asking?

Jason Petho

junk2drive -> RE: Linked Campaigns Question (11/19/2008 2:39:27 PM)

Battle one of LCG, all my troops are green. End battle, major vic, in the repair screen I get 6 points to rebuild units and say 6 points to upgrade troops from green to regular. And so it goes as the battles unfold so that by the end of 10 battles you might have a few vets, a few more regs, and a few greens.

Jason Petho -> RE: Linked Campaigns Question (11/19/2008 5:19:33 PM)

quote:

Battle one of LCG, all my troops are green. End battle, major vic, in the repair screen I get 6 points to rebuild units and say 6 points to upgrade troops from green to regular. And so it goes as the battles unfold so that by the end of 10 battles you might have a few vets, a few more regs, and a few greens.

Ah, I see.

Possibly in the future, but I don't see that type of funcationallity coming soon.

Certainly something to add to the wish list though!

Jason Petho

V22 Osprey -> RE: Linked Campaigns Question (11/20/2008 12:38:15 AM)

I haven't played any campaigns, but I've started a sicily campaign and only on mission 1.Do your field commanders gain exp. ?

I just lost a Captain, does this mean he will be replaced in the next battle but my original commanders will still be there?

Borst50 -> RE: Linked Campaigns Question (11/29/2008 1:10:30 AM)

If you are playing a DCG, yes, minor commander can be replaced....you spend replacement points to get them back...for your personal commander...if he gets killed...you have to use the restore character button on the campaign screen.

As far as I know, commanders in LCG's are not replaced, but I dont play many LCG's to be more precise.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI