Respectful Request for JD (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> 3rd Party Developers Area

simmer -> Respectful Request for JD (11/17/2008 3:53:34 AM)

JD are you close to the release of your final editor? If not, is there a schedule maker that can be added to your last update?

jdhalfrack -> RE: Respectful Request for JD (11/17/2008 12:14:18 PM)

quote:

JD are you close to the release of your final editor?

No. Well, at least not what I would call a "final" editor. Please understand that when I said I have little time, I meant it. I am working on it, though.

quote:

If not, is there a schedule maker that can be added to your last update?

No, sorry... [:(] The schedule editor will be the last thing added. Todd and I have discussed potential schedule editing algorithms, and all of them are complicated unless you're wanting something as basic as what David offers us with his releases.

JD

regenerator -> RE: Respectful Request for JD (11/17/2008 3:43:38 PM)

I know you most likely have no certain time-line, so hopefully this isn't pushy, but do you know, in general, the chances there could be a release by the end of the year? Or are we talking perhaps 3-6 months (or longer)?

Will the player graphics (skin, face) be finished?

Whatever happens, I thank you for the great utilities you've already developed. Without them, this game wouldn't be playable for me.

As it is, I'm teetering on the edge of finally giving up on MaxFB after what has happened recently (knowing there will be no more "official" updates or releasing of source code). If 2.2.7.0 does get finished, I'm thinking that would make my decision to stay aboard (no pressure intended, just expressing my keen interest in your project! [:)])

Last note, I don't know if you'd be interested, but I'm a developer by trade. I've done some database work in my time, so if you ever have collaborators, I'd be glad to help with what I could.

jdhalfrack -> RE: Respectful Request for JD (11/17/2008 3:58:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: regenerator
As it is, I'm teetering on the edge of finally giving up on MaxFB after what has happened recently (knowing there will be no more "official" updates or releasing of source code).

Unfortunately, this is my mind set too. I do enjoy the tinkering that's allowed via Maximum Football, but with no more official releases, I find myself wondering back towards Madden Utilities.

So, unfortunately, I cannot give a promise of a short timeline [:(]. Most likely, we are looking at longer rather than shorter.

With the Madden discoveries that the other programmers and I are making over at Football-Freaks, it is becoming more and more easy to edit graphics of all kinds. This is even beginning to include stadiums.

So, once again, I am sorry for the "bad" news, but it does look like it will be awhile.

JD

simmer -> RE: Respectful Request for JD (11/17/2008 6:18:08 PM)

JD the problem I have with David's editor is that you cant delete games that are already set. such as mistakes or bye weeks and it is very tempermental.

regenerator -> RE: Respectful Request for JD (11/17/2008 7:12:10 PM)

Appreciate the candor, JD. Guess I'll check back with this game sometime next year.

in the meantime, it's off to search for alternatives! Ah, the endless quest...

DAWUSS -> RE: Respectful Request for JD (11/17/2008 7:16:16 PM)

Schedules are a pain in the neck. Especially for things like NFL schedules, where you only play division opponents twice, have 8 home games, 8 away games...

I know for my IFL, I had to insert bye weeks (otherwise each team would have had to play one opponent twice, which kinda didn't look right), and each of those were a pain to do.

regenerator -> RE: Respectful Request for JD (11/17/2008 7:52:11 PM)

One final question, JD, just out of curiosity -

Madden seems to be your choice of the available options out there right now for football games.  I know that you guys have busted a lot of code over at FootballFreaks and made a lot of things customizable with utilities...but you don't find the 32-team, 17-week league structure ultimately limiting?  I just ask bc that has kept me from plunging into the whole MaddenMods thing. If there has been a true way around that discovered, I would love to know.

Making custom teams, artwork and all is great, but to me those things are usually most fun if you can then place them into a similarly customized league-setting (Of couse, that's just my opinion).  For instance, how are NCAA-type leagues handled?  I don't see how one could attempt to simulate college football inside a 32-team league, NFL-type league structure.

I've looked around the FootballFreaks site but I haven't been able to gather all the info I'd like.  Jumping into the middle of something like this, its quite difficult to get all caught up on everything.  Thanks for any insight...

jdhalfrack -> RE: Respectful Request for JD (11/17/2008 11:07:32 PM)

quote:

...you don't find the 32-team, 17-week league structure ultimately limiting?

Yes. VERY limiting. The Roster size... VERY limiting.

These two things are the biggest drawback of Madden. The schedule has potential to be changed if we can break a few more things. The roster size will be a little tougher.

I am not opposed to Maximum Football, but with the declining user base and lack of any releases at all in the future, it makes it harder to justify spending the 9 to 12 hours a week programming I used to for it. But, MF has its definite advantages! I don;t disagree with you there!

JD

mbsports -> RE: Respectful Request for JD (11/17/2008 11:33:14 PM)

I tell you what guys, if you want to do a college sim - go text based and go for Bowl Bound.  Max FB has way too many holes to be considered as a serious college sim.  It does alright for Pro, Canadian, and Arena but College the differences are just enormous compared to the way it's run.

Thankfully I use Madden, Bowl Bound, and Max FB amongst a myriad of graphics driven selections to get my stuff set.

garysorrell -> RE: Respectful Request for JD (11/17/2008 11:34:35 PM)

JD, your work thus far is greatly appreciated. The ability to simply add a college team to the players bios is big for me.

But I understand where you are coming from, interest wise. I love all the potential of this game, and will probably play it until another option is available, but the user base doesnt seem to be larger than about 10 guys. I understand there could be 100, but they arent here, posting. A game can only hang on for so long with that number. Eventually it will be me making stadiums, Mykal making uniforms, and another guy saying thanks [8D]

I do think that the community could see growth, if Matrix were to lower the price to maybe $15-$20(US). I think a lot of people would be willing to tolerate the issues, to have a decent football game. I've spent much more on games that I havent played a fraction as much as I have played MaxFB.

rcleslie -> RE: Respectful Request for JD (11/18/2008 1:42:55 AM)

Simmer, I have encountered that problem/ It was a while back, but if I recall correctly I was able to change the week number of the offending game to a week AFTER THE END OF THE SEASON and then eliminate it. I think you can also use that "extra week" to add a game. I hope I am right about that - give it a try. You are right that the current schedule editor is frustrating. I work out my schedule on paper first and then copy into the editor. Of course if you are all thumbs on the keyboard as I am.... Good luck!

simmer -> RE: Respectful Request for JD (11/18/2008 2:58:24 AM)

When I encounter this I make it week 20 knowing that it dont exist and hope it will not recognize that the final week is 12. Is this a way around it?

Tullius -> RE: Respectful Request for JD (11/18/2008 8:23:09 AM)

quote:

JD the problem I have with David's editor is that you cant delete games that are already set. such as mistakes or bye weeks and it is very tempermental.

Why do you do not edit the schedule table in the league database. Here you need only a simple Access editor.

simmer -> RE: Respectful Request for JD (11/18/2008 12:07:21 PM)

where is that table and how do I do this??????????

garysorrell -> RE: Respectful Request for JD (11/18/2008 12:48:39 PM)

in the league database.....table called 'Schedule'

garysorrell -> RE: Respectful Request for JD (11/18/2008 12:55:39 PM)

Simmer, in Davids schedule editor, all you have to do is change the game you want to delete to a week after your final.

If you have an 18 week schedule, change the game you want to delete to 19. Then click on it and delete.

Davids scheduler lets you delete the last game, so make the one you want to delete the last game, by making it a week # after your real final week.
Not sure what you mean by deleting a bye week. Bye weeks dont actually exist. If a team isnt scheduled, then there is a bye week.

Tullius -> RE: Respectful Request for JD (11/18/2008 1:28:38 PM)

And on FBMax.com is somewhere a file called "DB Viewer". It can read and edit all databases (mdb). Editing is simple, change the value. An edited value is instantly saved (so it is better make always a backup).

Mykal -> RE: Respectful Request for JD (11/18/2008 1:31:08 PM)

you can create Bye week;s though Gary

I've done it in the past for errrrm..... Jean Boulanger, think that was his name
he wanted a 9 team league and the schedule just wouldnt pan out for him
some teams where playing more games than others
so he asked me to look at it

I got round it by extending the schedule and in effect then created bye weeks
But then I'm taking the topic a little off it original topic now arnt I

AND NO in advance, I arnt doing anyone elses schedule for them, before you ask [:'(]
took me days to work out for Jean

simmer -> RE: Respectful Request for JD (11/18/2008 5:49:28 PM)

Are you kidding me.........After looking at this with the data viewer are the teams identified only by numbers and not names?
That is alot of deciphering.........Is there a way to cut and paste an entire schedule form one of the NCAA internet web sites????

Tullius -> RE: Respectful Request for JD (11/18/2008 6:30:48 PM)

quote:

After looking at this with the data viewer are the teams identified only by numbers and not names?

Every team has an ID. The team and the affiliated ID you will find in the "Teams" table. BTW Such a procedure is a common concept.

garysorrell -> RE: Respectful Request for JD (11/19/2008 2:17:33 AM)

quote:

Is there a way to cut and paste an entire schedule form one of the NCAA internet web sites

No. It has to be in the format of the database.

There is no simple way to do this. Either accept the schedule the game gives or go in and edit it to your liking. But once you decide to edit it yourself, there is no easy way. You have to manually change it. Davids editor is, in my opinion, the easiest way.

garysorrell -> RE: Respectful Request for JD (11/19/2008 2:19:13 AM)

Identifying teams and players by a number is the best way to do it. FBPro did it that way. It allowed you to have teams and players of the same name.

garysorrell -> RE: Respectful Request for JD (11/19/2008 2:21:47 AM)

Mykal, I get the bye week thing, I just meant its achieved by not scheduling a team that week.

You can do anything and everything via Davids scheduler by using the last blank spot and any games you are editing.

garysorrell -> RE: Respectful Request for JD (11/19/2008 2:24:13 AM)

quote:

JD the problem I have with David's editor is that you cant delete games that are already set. such as mistakes or bye weeks and it is very tempermental.

Deleting a game is easy....as explained above.
Bye weeks are also handled fine by the editor.

Mykal -> RE: Respectful Request for JD (11/19/2008 2:39:28 AM)

[8|]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI