Invisible combat (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series

O`Connor -> Invisible combat (11/18/2008 9:44:49 PM)

hi,

Just started out with AT and I have an initial puzzlement. In the computer's turn, I see "AI step 1/2/3" etc, accompanied by combat sounds. Evidently this is the computer engaging my forces in battle, and I can see some of the results afterwards, usually to my disadvantage... However I cannot see any actual battles, there's no combat screen or report of results. What's going on? Is there a setting I'm missing that would let me see this?

Twotribes -> RE: Invisible combat (11/18/2008 10:24:31 PM)

You have to replay the turn, or rather that part you can see. On the lower right hand side is a button to push to do that., You can step through all the turns you saw or you can step through just the battkes you had.

Shambling Strider -> RE: Invisible combat (11/18/2008 10:30:18 PM)

Maybe you could use the history button (down right) to see the battles and the opponents movements, at least partially?

[image]local://upfiles/27939/D34746103ACB4749B349CE1D535EAE6E.jpg[/image]

O`Connor -> RE: Invisible combat (11/18/2008 10:44:49 PM)

quote:

You have to replay the turn, or rather that part you can see.

Yes I noticed that but it seemed an incredibly roundabout way of viewing battles that your own forces are involved in - I assumed there must be some other way that I was missing. I can't think of anything else in the wargaming genre that doesn't just show you the enemy's attacks and moves as they happen. I mean functionally, the enemy attacking you/you attacking the enemy are basically the same thing - ie it's a battle, either way round. So why not show them both in the same way, using the same display?

- Having now checked the replay feature, I can see its usefulness, and it does give you the advantage of being able to go back and forth over what happened in the enemy's turn at your leisure. It still seems odd that the game doesn't also just show you this as it's happening, in the usual "wargamey" kind of way. Odd enough I would have thought to warrant mention in the manual - "the game doesn't actually show what the enemy's doing during his turn, you have to use the history feature afterwards".

SSFSX17 -> RE: Invisible combat (11/19/2008 3:53:32 AM)

The main reason is because the game was designed to be playable through e-mail (i.e., sending savegames to each other). I guess a possible feature in the future might be to show you your own battles when you start your turn.

Twotribes -> RE: Invisible combat (11/19/2008 9:43:51 AM)

Ya forget any large scale human versus AI wars, they quickly become snore feasts as you wait longer and longer for the computer to do their turn.

Jeffrey H. -> RE: Invisible combat (11/19/2008 8:44:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

Ya forget any large scale human versus AI wars, they quickly become snore feasts as you wait longer and longer for the computer to do their turn.

This hasn't been my experience, but the term 'large scale' is a little open ended. In my expereince the base game with a decent machine can handle just about any random configuration I've thrown at it.

I think once I did 6 regimes on a map size > 100x100 but that's going by memory.

Also, I'm a little patient when it comes to AI turns, I usually get up and try to do some chores or what not and come back to it in a few minutes or so.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI