Modern graphics? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein

GoodGuy -> Modern graphics? (12/6/2008 4:01:44 AM)

I stopped playing CC somewhere after CC2 or CC3 i think and I never checked out any of the mods, so I don't know if modders did anything in the gfx department (can you mod gfx of let's say buildings, trees, roads, bridges?).

Whatever, I'd say a more modern look can be achieved even if being restricted to the use of 16-Bit gfx.

Check this out:

[image]local://upfiles/20712/75E6CCA170434ACB90683EFD18F303A0.jpg[/image]

I added a few graphics (using PS - i didn't invest too much time though, it was a "quick shot" to display what's possible), an imaginary V2-launch site at the top, 2 new types of rooftops, some wood, mud and debris next to the house on the left, a green plant on the ridge in the middle (this is a seperate layer, it's a real picture (not drawn) with drop shadow effect).

The green plants at the right bottom are copies of the green plant, and - although being on the same layer (so the drop shadow applies to each instance) - they are stamps using the "sample stamp" feature. This allows for photorealistic 1:1 copies, unlike the brush method which wouldn't copy the actual pixel infos - saved brushes just use the shape of the original. The sample stamp might be like the tube-feature in PSP, someone asked about that in another thread.

I also added debris/obstacles at the end of the street on the right side. This could simulate a part where the road turns into a track consisting of rough terrain. The image is derived from a large image showing a dry riverbed.

It's really easy to enhance CCWaR's graphics, I just don't know (yet) how objects like trees or plants are then put into the game. [:)]
Every layer here can be somewhat pixelated, so that it blends with the rest of the world. A good addition would be to use a 3D renderer to create top views of buildings and streets. These parts could then be retouched with PS filters, to regain some of the typical "CC-look". [:)]

Perturabo -> RE: Modern graphics? (12/6/2008 12:32:47 PM)

I've seen such things used on a few CCMT maps - it didn't look good.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI