RE: A First Impression from a JA Veteran (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge

milkweg -> RE: A First Impression from a JA Veteran (12/11/2008 2:36:52 AM)

Voice over for Grunty would make me happy as he was my favorite character in JA2. Tex from JA would be a welcome comeback too.

Erik Rutins -> RE: A First Impression from a JA Veteran (12/11/2008 5:04:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: GODSPEED7
Yeah, Now I pretty much will probably never use the Pistols or Sub-Machineguns... I started the game with an MP5, then on the first map I picked up the Garand M1, from there on I have no other reason to touch a pistol or sub.. In JA2, I would try different pistols at the start... then I would use different types of Subs... It kept me hoping and made me eager for the big assault rifles. Unfortunately, now that I already have an SVD I am simply eager to have the ammo, but that eagerness isn't the same though.

Pistols can actually still be quite handy, especially for stealth work. A pistol with accuracy accessories and a silencer, with its low AP cost per shot, can be quite effective.

ShadoWarrior -> RE: A First Impression from a JA Veteran (12/11/2008 7:59:20 AM)

While everyone else on my squad has SMGs or riflles, one of my mercs is still using a pistol with HP ammo and he's been devastating, since he can shoot twice as many times in a turn as the others due to the low AP cost.

VassagoPT -> RE: A First Impression from a JA Veteran (12/11/2008 11:50:39 AM)

quote:

I do find it 'unsettling' to be able to purchase very good weapons from the start. I'm on day 3, I've went to the Safari, taken the Base "North" and finally the Crossroad; I can already buy an SVD and multiple versions of the new AK's.. Naturally, ammo seems to be somewhat of an issue in this game.

I conquered the 1st sector, the Safari, the crossroads, the Dam and the North base all on the 1st day and DJ's only had crap for sale. On the beginning of Day 2 DJ's received some better weapons like 2 Enfields and some AKs.
I'm still on Day2 but apparently, comparing with your report, the availability of guns on DJ's changes according to the number of days passed and not the sectors conquered.
That's obviously a flaw, dunno if it can be modded or not though...

All I can say is that I have some AKs, Sniper rifles, shotguns, FAMAS, M4, M14 and a lot of Garands and AKSUs and only got ammo for the Garands and AKSUs. Most were weapons drops since DJ's is still selling me crap.

Also, despite all the weapons I have I still use some submachineguns like the UZI, MP5K and the MAC10. Those are very good guns to use with burst on close range, and very useful for silent kills with silencer. I always carry a main weapon and a secondary (a knife on Dagger and Dragon, and SMGs on the rest).
Only the knife is better for close range, but few of the mercs can use that efficiently (2x5AP attacks to the head and it's a dead enemy without noise).
I don't use pistols though, because when in close range I rather burst the legs, but I might try some good pistol with HP ammo to shoot several times the arms of the opponent in close range and see how good it works compared to the SMGs.

As for HG being similar to E5 I fully disagree.
1st of all E5 and 7.62 have Smart Pause Mode, that ruins the gameplay for me and certainly can't be considered the same style of gameplay.
2nd E5 has different background management regarding both the sectors and the mercs, and that makes it very different for me too.
I ditched E5 after 2 or 3 tries, and I'm loving HG. Tried 7.62 with English MOD already and all I say is I won't play that.

Erik Rutins -> RE: A First Impression from a JA Veteran (12/11/2008 3:47:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: VassagoPT
I'm still on Day2 but apparently, comparing with your report, the availability of guns on DJ's changes according to the number of days passed and not the sectors conquered.

It's both as far as I know - DJ refreshes his inventory once per day, but when it refreshes it determines availability based on the reputation you've built through success in conquering sectors.

Also, in the beta update ammo should become available earlier.

SlickWilhelm -> RE: A First Impression from a JA Veteran (12/11/2008 5:21:55 PM)

I will admit that while I miss the hilarious dialogue from Grunty("Who do think I am, Siegfried und Roy?!"), I am starting to warm up to the funny text banter going on during the combat in HG.

"Take that!"
"Want some more?"
"You bastard!"

It's amusing, but since it's only text, it's merely amusing. Sure do miss the voice characterizations from JA2.

GODSPEED7 -> RE: A First Impression from a JA Veteran (12/11/2008 5:53:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

Yeah, Now I pretty much will probably never use the Pistols or Sub-Machineguns... I started the game with an MP5, then on the first map I picked up the Garand M1, from there on I have no other reason to touch a pistol or sub.. In JA2, I would try different pistols at the start... then I would use different types of Subs... It kept me hoping and made me eager for the big assault rifles. Unfortunately, now that I already have an SVD I am simply eager to have the ammo, but that eagerness isn't the same though.

Pistols can actually still be quite handy, especially for stealth work. A pistol with accuracy accessories and a silencer, with its low AP cost per shot, can be quite effective.

I somewhat agree, but my AK takes 4 AP's to fire... most pistols take 4 AP's to fire.. Plus all the enemies seem to try to shoot at me from afar, seeing as most of them seem to cary AK's, so the concern is distance. But I like how the game can be pretty different for everyone, and everyone has somewhat of a different tactic it seems.. I like this!
Does it cost AP's to raise your weapon? in that case the pistols become more useful.. And my other question is... why do pistols have more range or equal range to a submachinegun? The longer barrel on subs should give it longer range...

quote:

ORIGINAL: VassagoPT

As for HG being similar to E5 I fully disagree.
1st of all E5 and 7.62 have Smart Pause Mode, that ruins the gameplay for me and certainly can't be considered the same style of gameplay.
2nd E5 has different background management regarding both the sectors and the mercs, and that makes it very different for me too.
I ditched E5 after 2 or 3 tries, and I'm loving HG. Tried 7.62 with English MOD already and all I say is I won't play that.

I don't mean it exactly that way... I should have rephrased that, I know the turn-based difference between JA and Smart-pause of Brigade. Same for the map system.. but it ressembles Brigade or 7.62mm in the way that depending on whom you help will change your alliances within the game, which was not present in JA series. The graphics make me think of 7.62mm with some differences as well. The fact that the mercs don't seem to intereact very much with one another makes me think of brigade more than JA, There are quite a few things that can be noticed if you've played Brigade E5 or 7.62mm for a while. But let's not argue about that really, it might simply be my point of view on some features, I do like Brigade E5 though and can't wait for the real english version of 7.62, but I was much more eager for Hired Guns.. and I am VERY satisfied with it!

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI