PBEM = marriage? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

Treznor -> PBEM = marriage? (12/7/2008 9:02:05 PM)

Looking at the scope of the game and the number of AAR threads it appears to me that a good PBEM game has to be conducted by persons that like their partners style of play, be it easy or challenging. After all if you average 1 turn a day you play this game for YEARS [X(]

Its almost as if you need to find Mr. Right to have a good pbem experience, I mean after all you will be committed to that person for a number of years. So it basically like your married [:D]

If you take a full game length from Dec 41 to 46 and have every year of play equal 10 years of marriage, how does your past 'game marriage' equal up?

borner -> RE: PBEM = marriage? (12/7/2008 9:19:15 PM)

Good post, and a big reason I have not taken the plunge and bought the game yet. My resistance is weakening though. Once AE is released and there is good feedback from that, I may collect my spare change for a month and try this. By then WiF may be out and I will have a real problem!

2ndACR -> RE: PBEM = marriage? (12/7/2008 10:03:00 PM)

I would buy it now while the sale is on going. Your learning curve will not be as big. You will at least be familiar with the interface (mainly), have some idea of how big this game really is, plus be having fun while you learn.

This can easily be the game that ends your game buying. LOL

I used to spend 50-100 per month on games. Been playing this since release.......have bought maybe 4 games since release and only 1 still resides on my hard drive. WITP has never left.

Think of it as a money saving project.

rogue -> RE: PBEM = marriage? (12/7/2008 10:10:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treznor

Its almost as if you need to find Mr. Right to have a good pbem experience

Uh, does this mean your a woman?

Treznor -> RE: PBEM = marriage? (12/7/2008 10:24:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogue

quote:

[8|] Just because I use the term Mr. Right does not reflect on my sex. You have to find a player, who in all probability is a male, so I just used the correct terminology.

I would like to know how many partners and their experiences people have had.

DivePac88 -> RE: PBEM = marriage? (12/7/2008 10:32:10 PM)

When I firsted started getting into this game, I thought I'dd died and gone to heaven, and every time I play now I think the same.

dpstafford -> RE: PBEM = marriage? (12/7/2008 10:48:02 PM)

quote:

Its almost as if you need to find Mr. Right to have a good pbem experience, I mean after all you will be committed to that person for a number of years. So it basically like your married [:D]

Don't be silly. A full PBEM game of WITP would last much longer than the average marriage! [:D]

Treznor -> RE: PBEM = marriage? (12/8/2008 12:34:31 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dpstafford

quote:

Don't be silly. A full PBEM game of WITP would last much longer than the average marriage! [:D]

Silly? [&:] Did you read the posting? [:-]
I will quote myself....

quote:

If you take a full game length from Dec 41 to 46 and have every year of play equal 10 years of marriage, how does your past 'game marriage' equal up?

So to break it down...1942,1943,1944,1945...1,2,3,4,5...5*10=50 ....50 'theoretical' years is long but would reflect credibility on two players who can finish a complete game.

Has anyone had any luck in this?

CarnageINC -> RE: PBEM = marriage? (12/8/2008 12:44:50 AM)

Treznor you read it wrong...LOL [:D]

Treznor -> RE: PBEM = marriage? (12/8/2008 12:48:57 AM)

OMFG! [:@][X(]
Sorry dpstafford I'll go hide under a rock now....[:(]

Yamato hugger -> RE: PBEM = marriage? (12/8/2008 12:57:39 AM)

quote:

So to break it down...1942,1943,1944,1945...1,2,3,4,5...5*10=50 ....50 'theoretical' years is long but would reflect credibility on two players who can finish a complete game.

Has anyone had any luck in this?

I have. My longest game the allied player surrendered to me in March 44. Thats 28 months x 10 = 280 = 23 1/3 years. I have been married 33 1/2 years.

Japan -> RE: PBEM = marriage? (12/8/2008 3:39:01 AM)

My longest ended 3rd December 1945.

The game im now involved with i assume will go on to at least that date ...

[:)]

Honda -> RE: PBEM = marriage? (12/8/2008 10:39:29 AM)

Hehehehe, while I still played, I used to tell my wife I was going to attend to my mistress before playing a turn. :)
Raver was caught a bit off guard for being referred to as "the mistress". That's psychological warfare for you, everything is allowed in WitP. Besides, I had to counter the allied sigint advantage somehow...[:D]

khyberbill -> RE: PBEM = marriage? (12/8/2008 9:19:53 PM)

Honda, are you now retired? If so, a loss to the community.

Mike Scholl -> RE: PBEM = marriage? (12/8/2008 10:19:32 PM)

quote:

Looking at the scope of the game and the number of AAR threads it appears to me that a good PBEM game has to be conducted by persons that like their partners style of play, be it easy or challenging. After all if you average 1 turn a day you play this game for YEARS [X(]

More like finding and getting to know a new "best friend". One of the reasons you need to take a bit of time and discover if a prospective opponant is compatable. Doesn't mean you have to be in love, just that you both have to have a similar outlook on how the game will be played. If you are an "historian", you won't be happy playing a "loophole lawyer", you need to find someone else who feels more the way you do.

But when you find the "special someone", you will soon find yourself getting not only a game opponant, but someone you will probably come to know and like and share other things with. You may never meet in person.., but that's not all bad. Means you can complain about people and things that bother you, and never worry it will "come back on you".

crsutton -> RE: PBEM = marriage? (12/8/2008 10:27:08 PM)

I have made it to 5/44 with my excellent opponent.

It started off with her on top most of the time. You know what I mean. She was really in control at first. She liked to do it her way and just spent the first decade pushing me around. I gave her what she wanted and did all the dishes to boot. She just dealt out the whupass. Then for a sweet while things balanced and we shared the duties. You know what I mean. One night I got to get on top and she dressed up like a brownie scout and then the next night I was tied to the bedposts while she walked over me in high heels. I have to admit, those were the best years. Now the old witch is fighting off every one of my advances and "guards her flanks like a virgin". As we round into the last decade of our marriage I am beating her like she "owes me money" three times a day and she just sits there and takes it.

Sigh.........Good times, good times.[;)]

Alikchi2 -> RE: PBEM = marriage? (12/8/2008 11:02:32 PM)

I don't think PBEM marriage is legal in my state..

Mike Solli -> RE: PBEM = marriage? (12/8/2008 11:10:11 PM)

You guys are weird.  Absolutely hysterical, but weird. [:D]

Mynok -> RE: PBEM = marriage? (12/8/2008 11:28:38 PM)

Almost Thread Nuns wierd.......[:D]

Mike Solli -> RE: PBEM = marriage? (12/8/2008 11:31:09 PM)

Almost. [:D]

RUPD3658 -> RE: PBEM = marriage? (12/9/2008 12:30:10 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

It started off with her on top most of the time. You know what I mean. She was really in control at first. She liked to do it her way and just spent the first decade pushing me around. I gave her what she wanted and did all the dishes to boot. She just dealt out the whupass. Then for a sweet while things balanced and we shared the duties. You know what I mean. One night I got to get on top and she dressed up like a brownie scout and then the next night I was tied to the bedposts while she walked over me in high heels. I have to admit, those were the best years. Now the old witch is fighting off every one of my advances and "guards her flanks like a virgin". As we round into the last decade of our marriage I am beating her like she "owes me money" three times a day and she just sits there and takes it.

I'm confused. Are you talking about your wife, your PBEM opponant or both? [&:][:D]

Treznor -> RE: PBEM = marriage? (12/9/2008 2:09:46 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

LOL...nice way to put it...LOL [:D]

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

More like finding and getting to know a new "best friend". One of the reasons you need to take a bit of time and discover if a prospective opponant is compatable. Doesn't mean you have to be in love, just that you both have to have a similar outlook on how the game will be played. If you are an "historian", you won't be happy playing a "loophole lawyer", you need to find someone else who feels more the way you do.

But when you find the "special someone", you will soon find yourself getting not only a game opponant, but someone you will probably come to know and like and share other things with. You may never meet in person.., but that's not all bad. Means you can complain about people and things that bother you, and never worry it will "come back on you".

Thanks for that imput, since I'm new I'm not sure the steps to ensure a good partnership. I guess there is no guarentee that another player won't jump ship when things go bad.

Quixote -> RE: PBEM = marriage? (12/9/2008 2:29:11 AM)

Sutton and Alikchi, it's not often a wargaming forum makes you laugh out loud, but that was pretty amusing. There's a future in comedy for you two somewhere. It probably doesn't pay much, but...

buzzz123 -> RE: PBEM = marriage? (12/9/2008 3:15:46 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogue

quote:

[8|] Just because I use the term Mr. Right does not reflect on my sex. You have to find a player, who in all probability is a male, so I just used the correct terminology.

I would like to know how many partners and their experiences people have had.[/b]

errrr..... what exactly ARE you asking???

Mike Scholl -> RE: PBEM = marriage? (12/9/2008 3:50:30 AM)

quote:

Thanks for that imput, since I'm new I'm not sure the steps to ensure a good partnership. I guess there is no guarentee that another player won't jump ship when things go bad.

Just "feel them out" a bit during the initial discussion of game settings and "house rules". Most players are fairly honest about what they are looking for in a game---they're facing at a long commitment as well. Look for someone you feel comfortable with...

Q-Ball -> RE: PBEM = marriage? (12/9/2008 4:15:17 AM)

Do any actual women play WITP? I'm serious, has there been even one on this forum?

Brady -> RE: PBEM = marriage? (12/9/2008 4:16:49 AM)

And someone who can average 2 or more turns a day.

bradfordkay -> RE: PBEM = marriage? (12/9/2008 5:42:40 AM)

Brady, Chez and I have averaged about 1.3 turns a day and yet we both are very happy with our game (okay, maybe I am speaking only for myself - but I've only once received a "where's my turn" message from him).  Both of us would love to have the time to play more turns but real life constantly intervenes. However, the slow pace of the gmae has certainly not taken away any of the fun we have had in playing this one out (now in mid-November 1943). 

rtrapasso -> RE: PBEM = marriage? (12/9/2008 9:58:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

Do any actual women play WITP? I'm serious, has there been even one on this forum?

Yes, apparently at least two... the M/F ratio is only about 10,000/1 or so... [X(] [:D]... one was up front about being female, the other one was only known by rumor (the first one claiming to know that another female was on the forum, but didn't generally reveal her gender.)

EDIT: There could also be other ones...

Honda -> RE: PBEM = marriage? (12/9/2008 9:58:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: khyberbill

Honda, are you now retired? If so, a loss to the community.

Unfortunately, yes...
As it often is, real life has taken a toll on the poor old WitP pbem. Anyway, it would be impossible to top my last game and, no matter how spectacularly, I would hate to have a game end a finish before March '46. I was actually looking forward to end-game, even more with such a desperate allied situation. Plus, I don't think I want to invest another 3-5 years in a pbem. Right now I need something shorter, and I in some 10-20 years, when I begin slowing down, I plan to spend some considerable time watching the familiar blue and green screen.

Cheers [sm=00000436.gif]

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI