Older Hardware (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III

[Poll]

Older Hardware

Windows 98 or earlier
  4% (2)
Pentium 3 or Earlier
  4% (2)
Windows XP or Pentium IV (introduced 2001)
  90% (38)
Don't know
  0% (0)

Total Votes : 42
(last vote on : 12/12/2008 2:41:05 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )

ralphtricky -> Older Hardware (12/8/2008 5:30:22 AM)

I want to get an idea of how many people are using older hardware.

There are two things going on. One is that the new compiler (VS 2008) doesn't support Window 98 any more. There may be some options to get it to work on Windows 98, but it makes it more likely that something will break for a windows 98 version.

If I set some special compiler options I can get TOAW to run faster, but it requires Pentium IVs.

One possibility is to provide a normal distribution for people with faster machines, and either on demand or part of the package a second set for people running Windows 98 or slower computers.

If you're not sure or have two machines, please pick the older machine.

L`zard -> RE: Older Hardware (12/8/2008 8:15:02 AM)

Ralph;

Specs: P4 2.4 and XP pro....expect to upgrade to next gen puter (duo-core) around May....Vista only when I'm forced to, LOL!

Hope everyone gets with this poll,eh?

Kurt

sPzAbt653 -> RE: Older Hardware (12/8/2008 1:08:38 PM)

I am running Win98, but it really doesn't count as I had the machine built for gaming, around 2002. I'm not sure exactly what it is or how to tell, but there is a sticker on the front that says 'Pentium 4'. Stickers don't lie, right? And I guess to answer the poll, would I pick Pentium IV?

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Older Hardware (12/8/2008 3:06:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick

I want to get an idea of how many people are using older hardware.

There are two things going on. One is that the new compiler (VS 2008) doesn't support Window 98 any more. There may be some options to get it to work on Windows 98, but it makes it more likely that something will break for a windows 98 version.

If I set some special compiler options I can get TOAW to run faster, but it requires Pentium IVs.

One possibility is to provide a normal distribution for people with faster machines, and either on demand or part of the package a second set for people running Windows 98 or slower computers.

What will happen if we vote more than once? Some of us have multiple platforms. I've got a Win98 desktop and an XP Celeron laptop (and there was no "Celeron" option for hardware).

larryfulkerson -> RE: Older Hardware (12/8/2008 6:24:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
I am running Win98, but it really doesn't count as I had the machine built for gaming, around 2002. I'm not sure exactly what it is or how to tell, but there is a sticker on the front that says 'Pentium 4'. Stickers don't lie, right? And I guess to answer the poll, would I pick Pentium IV?

The CPU inside the machine ( hardware ) might be a Pentium IV but you say the operating system is Win98. So the hardware is capable of running P4 code but the operating system isn't ( probably ) running P4 code because it doesn't have the routines. That's my guess.

ralphtricky -> RE: Older Hardware (12/8/2008 7:54:59 PM)

quote:

Sadly, you'd pick 98.

It looks like I'll probalby need to support it in some manner.

rich12545 -> RE: Older Hardware (12/8/2008 10:14:30 PM)

I have an athlon 3000.  I suppose that counts in the p4 category?

Telumar -> RE: Older Hardware (12/8/2008 10:44:26 PM)

AMD Duron with 1300 MHz.. i selected Pentium III, the OS is WinXP.

For you Win98 folks, check this out: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=91

ralphtricky -> RE: Older Hardware (12/9/2008 12:56:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich12545

I have an athlon 3000.  I suppose that counts in the p4 category?

I think so. Accoriding to the wikipedia, anything AMD introduced compatiple processors in 2003 with the AMD 64 series.

Jeff Norton -> RE: Older Hardware (12/9/2008 2:18:10 AM)

Low end P4-esque with a single core.

My backup machine has the same one - gotta love those Socket A boards - tough as nails.

Boonierat -> RE: Older Hardware (12/9/2008 7:24:36 AM)

Whatever you do Ralph, please don't turn TOAW into a ressource-hungry hog [;)]

alexzhz -> RE: Older Hardware (12/9/2008 3:21:27 PM)

The old one is Celeron 1.33G ,still working stably and being used to play TOAW.
It seems I have to give it up. [:(]

secadegas -> RE: Older Hardware (12/9/2008 3:49:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Boonierat

(please)
Ditto

ralphtricky -> RE: Older Hardware (12/9/2008 9:37:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Boonierat

I'm keeping it lean and mean. Actually the new supply calculations are a lot faster than the old ones.

I'm trying to make it easier to learn, though. There are some of us that haven't memorized the manual, and don't know that the defense is for defending as infantry in a light woods. It's some details like that I'm trying to make more accessible with the tooltips.

I'm also adding some of the social aspects. For isntance, I think I can do JPEGs and AVIs which makes posting AARs easier.

I'm also using a newer compiler which does a better job of writing faster code, but it doesn't support Windows 98. There's a debate on whether MS did that intentionally or accidentally.

I may be able to just buy a cheap tool to make it runnable on Windows 98, and it looks like that's what I'll try first. My second option is to put the old compiler on my machine and use it for the Windows 98 builds. It's a bit of a pain, but not too bad.

I'll create two versions. A ''TOAW3forNormalPeople.exe', and a 'TOAW3forCheapGrogs.exe'[:'(] I'should be able to put together a TOAW3 launcher that checks to see which version to run by doing a Windows version check and CPU check.

Ralph

sPzAbt653 -> RE: Older Hardware (12/9/2008 10:20:48 PM)

Well, if I'm the only one using Win98, I think I'll jump out the window. Wait, I'm too cheap for the hospital bills, instead I'll just go outside and lay on the ground and pretend that I had jumped out the window.

I can figure out something here. I'm actually not cheap, I have three computers, it just happens that the W98 machine is what I use for gaming. I should be able to switch something around so that I'm compatable.

Cheers!

larryfulkerson -> RE: Older Hardware (12/9/2008 11:08:48 PM)

quote:

I should be able to switch something around so that I'm compatable.

If you CAN switch something around to be compatable then you'll make Ralphs' life a lot easier. LOL.

Jeff Norton -> RE: Older Hardware (12/10/2008 1:33:49 AM)

There's always one in the crowd....[:D]

What's next - TOAW3forthenonMSheathens.exe?[;)]

Heldenkaiser -> RE: Older Hardware (12/11/2008 11:50:09 AM)

I have a Pentium IV, built 2002. I am thinking about getting a new machine because some newer games run veeeeery slow on this one. TOAW, OTOH, does fine (though loading a huge new scenario can take from a few seconds up to half a minute).

I find it excellent that TOAW does not expect one to have THE newest machine available. [:)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI