mixed movement off-road standard cost (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support

kenwolfe -> mixed movement off-road standard cost (12/26/2008 2:35:33 PM)

I have a question about the standard minimum cost for off-road movement by units capable of mixed movement. The TOAW III Manual in section 11.9.2 states that the Minimum Standard Cost for off-road movement by units with either foot or mixed movement is 1 MP. From what I have seen, the Minimum Standard Cost for units that show "Mixed Movement" in the Unit Report is actually 2 MP. One example is from the France 40 scenario: the French 25 Motorized Division which starts in hex 42,17. Moving through clear hexes costs 2 MP for this unit. Based on what the manual said I would have expected it to cost 1 MP as it does for units with "Foot Movement." I would expect the Minimum Standard Cost to be 2 MP only for units that show up as "Motorized Movement" class. Is this a problem with the game engine or is the manual wrong or am I misunderstanding how the standard cost for off-road movement works? Thanks.

Curtis Lemay -> RE: mixed movement off-road standard cost (12/27/2008 12:16:13 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: kenwolfe

I have a question about the standard minimum cost for off-road movement by units capable of mixed movement. The TOAW III Manual in section 11.9.2 states that the Minimum Standard Cost for off-road movement by units with either foot or mixed movement is 1 MP. From what I have seen, the Minimum Standard Cost for units that show "Mixed Movement" in the Unit Report is actually 2 MP. One example is from the France 40 scenario: the French 25 Motorized Division which starts in hex 42,17. Moving through clear hexes costs 2 MP for this unit. Based on what the manual said I would have expected it to cost 1 MP as it does for units with "Foot Movement." I would expect the Minimum Standard Cost to be 2 MP only for units that show up as "Motorized Movement" class. Is this a problem with the game engine or is the manual wrong or am I misunderstanding how the standard cost for off-road movement works? Thanks.

If this is turn one, that unit seems to be in a "refugee" area. So it's paying an additional cost, beyond the minimum cost, even on-road.

kenwolfe -> RE: mixed movement off-road standard cost (12/27/2008 10:29:04 PM)

In looking for another example of this where refugees would not be a factor, I discovered what looks like another anomaly in how Minimum Standard Cost is determined.

In the Kharkov 42 scenario from the Classic TOAW folder, the Soviet 70 Cav Division starts at location 27,33. Its Unit Report shows Mixed Movement. It costs 2MP for the unit to move into any of the nearby friendly, spotted open hexes. Again, according to the manual this should cost only 1 MP for units capable of Mixed Movement.

The other anomaly is that it appears to cost only 1 MP for motorized units to move off-road into open hexes. An example is the Soviet 130 Tank Brigade starting at location 23,30. Its Unit Report shows it as having Motorized Movement. But it costs only 1 MP to move into nearby friendly, spotted open hexes. According to the manual this should cost 2 MP for units that use Motorized Movement. This does not appear to be consistent, either. For example, in the same scenario the German 2nd Rom Inf Div starting at location 18,30 shows as having Motorized movement but costs 2 MP to enter nearby open hexes.

So I am now even more puzzled as to how the movement class of a unit determines its Minimum Standard Cost for off-road movement: what I am seeing seems to contradict what is in the manual and at any rate does not appear to be consistently related to the movement class shown in the Unit Report. Is there some other factor I am missing?

Curtis Lemay -> RE: mixed movement off-road standard cost (12/28/2008 1:48:44 AM)

quote:

In looking for another example of this where refugees would not be a factor, I discovered what looks like another anomaly in how Minimum Standard Cost is determined.

In the Kharkov 42 scenario from the Classic TOAW folder, the Soviet 70 Cav Division starts at location 27,33. Its Unit Report shows Mixed Movement. It costs 2MP for the unit to move into any of the nearby friendly, spotted open hexes. Again, according to the manual this should cost only 1 MP for units capable of Mixed Movement.

The other anomaly is that it appears to cost only 1 MP for motorized units to move off-road into open hexes. An example is the Soviet 130 Tank Brigade starting at location 23,30. Its Unit Report shows it as having Motorized Movement. But it costs only 1 MP to move into nearby friendly, spotted open hexes. According to the manual this should cost 2 MP for units that use Motorized Movement. This does not appear to be consistent, either. For example, in the same scenario the German 2nd Rom Inf Div starting at location 18,30 shows as having Motorized movement but costs 2 MP to enter nearby open hexes.

So I am now even more puzzled as to how the movement class of a unit determines its Minimum Standard Cost for off-road movement: what I am seeing seems to contradict what is in the manual and at any rate does not appear to be consistently related to the movement class shown in the Unit Report. Is there some other factor I am missing?

In this case you need to see section 8.4.1. Specifically, "Roadbound" equipment. These units have a lot of trucks in them.

kenwolfe -> RE: mixed movement off-road standard cost (12/28/2008 6:11:47 PM)

You are right, I checked further and it is units whose transport equipment is roadbound which has the Minimum Standard Cost of 2 MP for off-road movement. From what I have seen constructing units with various mixes of roadbound and non-roadbound transports, a unit will have an off-road movement Minimum Standard Cost of 2 MP if more than 2/3 of its transport vehicles are roadbound. Does that sound right?

Curtis Lemay -> RE: mixed movement off-road standard cost (12/28/2008 7:00:30 PM)

quote:

You are right, I checked further and it is units whose transport equipment is roadbound which has the Minimum Standard Cost of 2 MP for off-road movement. From what I have seen constructing units with various mixes of roadbound and non-roadbound transports, a unit will have an off-road movement Minimum Standard Cost of 2 MP if more than 2/3 of its transport vehicles are roadbound. Does that sound right?

I'm not sure what the exact formula is, but I expect it depends upon all equipment, not just the transport vehicles.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI