Valkyrie any good? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Canoerebel -> Valkyrie any good? (12/26/2008 4:57:18 PM)

Any of you gents seen Valkyrie yet? It's a good subject, but based upon the reviews I've seen I'm afraid to fork out any cash to see it. But I seek your opinions because the youngest, most inexperienced, least educated person in this forum knows 8 times 10 raised to the 40th power more than Roger Ebert.

JudgeDredd -> RE: Valkyrie any good? (12/26/2008 6:44:26 PM)

well, generally I think the "critics" get it in their heads to "go after" certain individuals at certain times of their careers...and it's benn Tom Cruises turn recently.

I don't trust the professional critics one bit and I generally take other peoples advice with a very large pinch of salt. More often than not, regardless of the critics views (professional or otherwise), if I like the subject matter, I'll go.

tbch, I don't think it will be good. I like Tom Cruise as an actor, but I just don't have faith in Hollywood pulling this off. On top of this, I just don't see it as Tom Cruises subject matter.

I will go and see it though...[8|]

Kuokkanen -> RE: Valkyrie any good? (12/26/2008 7:39:53 PM)

What are you talking about? Movie?

wdolson -> RE: Valkyrie any good? (12/26/2008 8:49:02 PM)

Yes, it's a new movie that has been heavily advertised.  It's about the German colonel who planted the bomb in the July 1944 assasination plot against Hitler.  Tom Cruise plays the colonel.

I never thought Tom Cruise was that great an actor, though he was great in Eyes Wide Shut.  He also looks nothing like the person he's supposed to be playing.

I haven't seen the movie and probably won't until we get it on Netflix.  My SO loves going to movies, but we don't get to many and she's unlikely to fork over money for the theater experience for something like that.

Bill

Capt. Harlock -> RE: Valkyrie any good? (12/26/2008 9:15:29 PM)

quote:

I like Tom Cruise as an actor, but I just don't have faith in Hollywood pulling this off. On top of this, I just don't see it as Tom Cruises subject matter.

I saw it, and it was considerably better than I expected. They did a surprising job of making Cruise look like he was not only missing his lower right arm, but also two fingers of his left hand. But the really interesting part was the plan for after Hitler's death. The conspirators knew well that with Himmler, Goebbels, and Goring around, they couldn't just waltz in and make peace with the Allies. "Valkyrie" actually refers to the plan to seize control of Germany after Hitler's death, which was activated, and apparently came tantalizingly close to success even though Hitler was not dead. (If the planners had cut off Goebbels' phone, it might just have worked.)

Terminus -> RE: Valkyrie any good? (12/26/2008 9:34:48 PM)

Given that the plotters were German (and supposedly thorough) it's amazing how many holes the Valkyrie plan had. It could have fallen apart at any of a hundred different places.

SireChaos -> RE: Valkyrie any good? (12/26/2008 10:40:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Given that the plotters were German (and supposedly thorough) it's amazing how many holes the Valkyrie plan had. It could have fallen apart at any of a hundred different places.

Germans, thorough? You really don´t know us.

Terminus -> RE: Valkyrie any good? (12/26/2008 10:47:42 PM)

Ich kenne aber der mythos vom gründlichen Deutschen...

RUPD3658 -> RE: Valkyrie any good? (12/27/2008 4:24:17 AM)

quote:

I was amazed they were able to keep the plan secret with so many people involved. If they had used the secnd bomb, if the meeting had been in the bunker building, if the bomb had been on the other side of the table...it could have wokred.

The movie wan't too bad. I could have waited for Netflix but since it is so rare that I get to a grown up movie I was pleased with it.

RUPD3658 -> RE: Valkyrie any good? (12/27/2008 4:26:49 AM)

quote:

was er gesagt hat[:D]

Valkyrie -> RE: Valkyrie any good? (12/27/2008 4:40:14 AM)

Yes, I'm very good! [:D][:D][:D]

JudgeDredd -> RE: Valkyrie any good? (12/27/2008 9:28:55 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Valkyrie

Yes, I'm very good! [:D][:D][:D]

lol....

based on these reports I expect I will go to see it.

Thx

Midnight19D -> RE: Valkyrie any good? (12/27/2008 2:18:02 PM)

saw it last night with my wife and mom. was pleasantly surprised how good it was. my mom said she would not like it, and walked out saying it was a good movie.

*recommened*

David Heath -> RE: Valkyrie any good? (12/27/2008 8:26:33 PM)

I must say my son and I really enjoyed it.... it really went into some very good detail.

David

Grell -> RE: Valkyrie any good? (12/28/2008 3:22:33 AM)

I'll watch it on DVD when it's released.

Regards,

Grell

SireChaos -> RE: Valkyrie any good? (12/28/2008 12:44:26 PM)

quote:

Well, let´s just say it´s called a myth for a reason.

hgilmer3 -> RE: Valkyrie any good? (12/28/2008 9:37:42 PM)

I saw it and wasn't greatly impressed.  I was aware of the plot, but never knew any of the details and if they are accurate, then that part was/is interesting.

I don't think below is a spolier, but just in case, if you don't want any information about the movie, don't read below.

I wish I had waited for it to come out on DVD/rental.  I had some acquaintances tell me that Cruise did the German accent well and while watching the movie, I thought, "What accent?"  They're speaking in English but supposed to be speaking German which is fine, but I am unsure what that person was talking about when they said he did the accent well.  Maybe they meant at the beginning when he spoke in German for a few sentences. 

z1812 -> RE: Valkyrie any good? (12/29/2008 1:56:23 PM)

Hi All,

I went to see it with my Wife and her Aunt. They liked it. I thought it was not so good. It seemed rather flat and lacked a certain tension. It did not have the "right feel".

Regards John

Jeffrey H. -> RE: Valkyrie any good? (12/29/2008 5:58:18 PM)

...got bad reviews for lack of authenticism, (accents and language) and like the comment above, somewhat dull.

...Neflix for me.

hgilmer3 -> RE: Valkyrie any good? (12/30/2008 2:26:58 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: z1812

Hi All,

I went to see it with my Wife and her Aunt. They liked it. I thought it was not so good. It seemed rather flat and lacked a certain tension. It did not have the "right feel".

Regards John

My sentiments exactly.

Valkyrie -> RE: Valkyrie any good? (12/30/2008 2:30:24 AM)

I'm sold... it's Netflix for me!

Now, let the thread die and disappear so I can quit feeling like everyone is rating ME! [:'(][:'(][:'(]

panzers -> RE: Valkyrie any good? (12/30/2008 4:13:03 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Yes, it's a new movie that has been heavily advertised.  It's about the German colonel who planted the bomb in the July 1944 assasination plot against Hitler.  Tom Cruise plays the colonel.

I never thought Tom Cruise was that great an actor, though he was great in Eyes Wide Shut.  He also looks nothing like the person he's supposed to be playing.

I haven't seen the movie and probably won't until we get it on Netflix.  My SO loves going to movies, but we don't get to many and she's unlikely to fork over money for the theater experience for something like that.

Bill

Clearly, you have never seen "a few good men" One of the great acting jobs of all time in my opinion with just about everyone involved not named Demi Moore

RyanCrierie -> RE: Valkyrie any good? (12/30/2008 11:56:46 AM)

Saw it yesterday, was surprisingly good, there's only really one scene in the movie where you see TOM CRUISE instead of Stauffenberg.

Lack of accents didn't bother me, they started out with Stauffenberg speaking German in a voice over narrating his diary as he writes it (in sutterlin too!) in North Africa; and then segue into English with no accents for the rest of the movie essentially.

Apparently early in the production, they tried experimenting with german accents, but dropped it after Singer decided it was not really worth the trouble/too distracting.

Anyway, while they talk in English, all the written material is in German from not only the plan for VALKYRIE itself, but also for the various materials that come over teletype/telegram during the movie.

Also a surprisingly good recreation of Der Fuhrer's Wolf's Lair and Berghof; they even go down to the smallest detail, like the troops in the woods the Wolf's lair guarding it wearing mosquito netting over their helmets -- the place WAS built on a swamp for security measures int he first place...

SlickWilhelm -> RE: Valkyrie any good? (12/30/2008 4:02:04 PM)

I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. I was not expecting much because of all the pre-release anti-hype. But it was a solid WW2 thriller. Sure, there were a few little nits to pick(Calling Cruise's character "Colonel Stauffenberg, instead of Colonel von Stauffenberg), but the lack of German accents didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. Valkyrie uses the same method used in "The Hunt for Red October" to switch quickly from German to English. Lots of realistic period detail(real JU-52's and P-40's for instance), and the cinematography is outstanding.

The casting was very good, with all actors doing a nice job, especially Tom Wilkinson as Fromm. Probably the weakest link in the cast was the guy who (under)played Hitler. Too bad they couldn't have gotten Bruno Ganz to play him!

BTW, for those who think Tom Cruise is not a great actor....watch "Born on the Fourth of July" again and see him at his best.

Bottom line: 8 out of 10 stars(using the IMDB meter).

RyanCrierie -> RE: Valkyrie any good? (12/30/2008 4:25:11 PM)

Lots of realistic period detail(real JU-52's and P-40's for instance

They had to use real P-40s, because they had spent all of their effects budget on digitally removing Cruise's hand and fingers to mimic Stauffenberg's injuries; so they hired out the planes. [:D]

GJK -> RE: Valkyrie any good? (12/30/2008 11:48:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RyanCrierie

Lots of realistic period detail(real JU-52's and P-40's for instance

They had to use real P-40s, because they had spent all of their effects budget on digitally removing Cruise's hand and fingers to mimic Stauffenberg's injuries; so they hired out the planes. [:D]

Perhaps some grog can answer this - did the "flying tiger" model actually fight in the N. Africa campaign?

TheOx -> RE: Valkyrie any good? (12/31/2008 12:20:26 AM)

Watch "Der Untergang" or Downfall instead of this. You'll thank me later.

wdolson -> RE: Valkyrie any good? (12/31/2008 12:34:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: GJK

Perhaps some grog can answer this - did the "flying tiger" model actually fight in the N. Africa campaign?

The specific model that the AVG used were diverted from a British order or Tomahawks (which is the British name for the early model P-40, the B and C). The P-40D and later were called Kittyhawks by the British. Both the Tomahawk and Kittyhawk fought in North Africa with the RAF.

North African Tomahawks and Kittyhawks were painted two tone brown on top and light blue on the bottom. The AVG's aircraft were painted in a green and brown scheme on top, which was the early war British Northern Europe scheme. The late war Northern Europe scheme was gray and green.

Bill

GJK -> RE: Valkyrie any good? (12/31/2008 12:46:59 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: GJK

The specific model that the AVG used were diverted from a British order or Tomahawks (which is the British name for the early model P-40, the B and C). The P-40D and later were called Kittyhawks by the British. Both the Tomahawk and Kittyhawk fought in North Africa with the RAF.

North African Tomahawks and Kittyhawks were painted two tone brown on top and light blue on the bottom. The AVG's aircraft were painted in a green and brown scheme on top, which was the early war British Northern Europe scheme. The late war Northern Europe scheme was gray and green.

Bill

Thank you-

I'm curious about the "Flying Tiger" war theme that was painted on the P-40 in the movie. I don't think that any were painted as such in the N. Africa campaign; would I be correct?

GJK -> RE: Valkyrie any good? (12/31/2008 12:47:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheOx

Watch "Der Untergang" or Downfall instead of this. You'll thank me later.

Agreed. Excellent movie that blows the socks off of Valkyrie, however you can't get enough of "kill Hitler" plots....

Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI