Overlord scenario by H.J. Baltjes (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series

wings7 -> Overlord scenario by H.J. Baltjes (12/26/2008 10:35:03 PM)

Does anyone have the doc or read me notes on the "Overlord" scenario by H.J. Baltjes? The scenario is 1250 turns long, if anyone goes please contact me.
Thank you.

Patrick

Geomitrak -> RE: Overlord scenario by H.J. Baltjes (12/27/2008 12:52:42 PM)

Hajo (Baltjes) is a regular visitor to this forum, so he may be able to help you out himself. [:)]

Regards
Paul

wings7 -> RE: Overlord scenario by H.J. Baltjes (12/27/2008 2:49:47 PM)

Thanks Paul, I hope so. Have you played this scenario?

Patrick

andym -> RE: Overlord scenario by H.J. Baltjes (12/27/2008 6:39:43 PM)

I started it.Its HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE!

wings7 -> RE: Overlord scenario by H.J. Baltjes (12/27/2008 8:09:16 PM)

andym,

How far along are you? What options are you using? I just started and I'm loving it![:D]

Patrick

Huib -> RE: Overlord scenario by H.J. Baltjes (12/27/2008 8:32:10 PM)

I wonder what the idea behind so many turns is? The "no action" and "sleeping" is also simulated? This means to make it anywhere near realistic one should not move about 1000 of the 1250 turns? That is rather boring.

wings7 -> RE: Overlord scenario by H.J. Baltjes (12/27/2008 11:14:00 PM)

Huib,

It really gives you (playing the Allies) time to clean up all the pockets (Germans) in the beginning and you really have to like all that micro management (which I do). It will be interesting to see how it plays out in the middle and late parts of the scenario.

Patrick

Geomitrak -> RE: Overlord scenario by H.J. Baltjes (12/28/2008 12:06:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wings7

Thanks Paul, I hope so. Have you played this scenario?

Patrick

No Patrick, I haven't played it, though I do have it downloaded...and there is no readme or notes in the file, sorry to say.

I'm playing his 'Operation Market Garden' scenario, a corps-level recreation of Montgomery's push for the bridges at Nijmegen and Arnhem. Its 440 turns long, and is plenty enough to keep me going for now, what with all the other stuff I do. [:)]

Regards
Paul

andym -> RE: Overlord scenario by H.J. Baltjes (12/28/2008 7:56:57 PM)

I think i am about 30% through the 3rd Allied Turn.I am just using the scenario as it came out of the box as it were.Its quite mindbending at times,so much ground and so many units!

baltjes -> RE: Overlord scenario by H.J. Baltjes (12/29/2008 10:07:46 PM)

Hello Patrick,

I am glad to hear you like my Overlord scenario. I am very sorry to tell you, however, that I have no 'read me' files or other documentation added when releasing it on the wargamers website. Normally I have a time table, an OOB (excel files) and some other 'notes' (word-file) added, but not this time. I have looked around to see if I could find them, but could find only the printed version of the excel files(about 2 and 100 pages respectively) that I have used for the .scn file. I am sure I never made 'notes' for this scenario. It is quite easy to put the time table on the computer again; the OOB is much more work and will in principle add only a few to the .org file. So, the time table I can send you if you give me your e-mail adres. That table can be quite handy if you want to fine tune the playing of this scenario with night time visability.

If you have any further questions on this (or other) scenario(s), please do not hesitate to contact me.

Happy 2009

Regards,

Hajo Baltjes
h.j.baltjes@kpnplanet.nl

Landser44 -> RE: Overlord scenario by H.J. Baltjes (12/30/2008 7:47:00 PM)

Greetings,

Sounds massive - but I have to admit that it interests me. Is the scenario available somewhere for download?

wings7 -> RE: Overlord scenario by H.J. Baltjes (12/30/2008 8:47:38 PM)

Reid,

I think you will find it at The Blitz...enjoy!
http://www.theblitz.org/index.php

Patrick

Landser44 -> RE: Overlord scenario by H.J. Baltjes (12/30/2008 9:12:26 PM)

Sweet - thanks a lot. I hadn't looked a the scenario page on The Blitz in a while. I guess I should look there first next time.

*Edit: I did look a The Blitz, but it does not appear to be there anymore. Anybody have a copy they could email me by chance?

Thanks,

baltjes -> RE: Overlord scenario by H.J. Baltjes (1/19/2009 5:40:40 AM)

Hello Huib,

The only 'idea' behind so many turns is that - in reality - it took some time from the initial landings till the start of operation 'Epsom'. Indeed, such a long scenario implies that many units do not see much movement during quite a lot of the turns. But isn't that the fate of any soldier, even in wartime? Most of the time is spend on waiting. Waiting for orders, waiting for food, ammo, fresh laundry, letters, etc. etc.

This does not mean, however, that you have to few units to move each turn (don't be afraid of that!). If you want hot action, all over the place and every turn with all your units, yes, then the scenario is boring. But please take in mind that new units will enter and must find their way up to their (front)positions. Exhausted (disrupted) units have to recover. Patrols have to send out to see what the enemy is doing. Large units have to be repositioned. But above all, many units have to be moved many, many times in order to restore cohesion (supply and command). After a few 'wild action' turns, you will find your units scattered all over the place with all the negative consequences of that. And with a large area of terrain and large numbers of units, this will soon give quite a mess, taking quite a lot of units to restore before an other fight can be fought. This, especially, discriminates huge scenario's like 'Overlord' from the 'normal' ones (about 20 -30 turns), and makes another class of 'great' scenario's, at least for a lot of people.

By the way, I just give my scenario's 15 minute-turns during day time, about 30 minutes in dawn/dusk and 1 -2 hours during night. So, night is ideed mainly ment for resting and recuperation. If players want the night-visibility have fine tuned, they are encouraged to do so by changing the .btl file. In this respect, some 'authors notes' in which this procedure is explained, are missing with the scenario.

Greetings,

Hajo

baltjes -> RE: Overlord scenario by H.J. Baltjes (1/19/2009 5:53:41 AM)

Hello soldier,

The scenario OVERLORD as well as many other scenario's can be downloaded from the games depot of www.wargamer.com. (www.wargamer.com -->community--> games depot---> search by game--->West Front with Sea Lion expansion).

If not able to do so, please give me your e-mail adress and I will send it you directly.

Hajo Baltjes

V22 Osprey -> RE: Overlord scenario by H.J. Baltjes (1/19/2009 6:36:14 AM)

Jesus.[X(]

With a scenario this big I might as well get WitP.[X(][X(][X(]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI