A few questions that keep getting me stuck... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> World War One Gold

JudgeDredd -> A few questions that keep getting me stuck... (12/29/2008 8:04:36 AM)

I'm not playing with the strict turn sequence on...I want to and have tried, but when I tried, I simply could not progress....I was lost basically.

So, with that aside, I still have some questions...

• When I move into a territory, do I need to leave corps in there?
  • WHen the reinforcement window shows, what is the bar on the right that shows up? It seems to show the units I have on the map...but it's completely non-interactive....what is the point of it?
  • What rules are there for deploying reinforcements? I know they can only be deployed in friendly territory, but how can I put them into units fighting...that is, in the front line and therefore normally in enemy territory?
  • Events cards...do I play them or are they played automatically....or not played at all?? If I play them, does the computer give me any indication of when I should play them?
  • What is the best map view to see borders?
  • What do you have to do to find out where a battle has been? I often enter battle and it takes me ages to find out where that battle took place.
  • Where and when do I go to set building of units in place?
  • As above for technology?

Thx

06 Maestro -> RE: A few questions that keep getting me stuck... (12/29/2008 2:35:37 PM)

So, with that aside, I still have some questions...

When I move into a territory, do I need to leave corps in there?
]Not from what I have seen;no partisans.[/

WHen the reinforcement window shows, what is the bar on the right that shows up? It seems to show the units I have on the map...but it's completely non-interactive....what is the point of it? --You can drop reinforcements directly into the army HQ's-saves some time.

What rules are there for deploying reinforcements? I know they can only be deployed in friendly territory, but how can I put them into units fighting...that is, in the front line and therefore normally in enemy territory? Anywhere in controlled territory and in the corrisponding HQ. Some units can go anywhere (Non army # assignment)

Events cards...do I play them or are they played automatically....or not played at all?? If I play them, does the computer give me any indication of when I should play them?
You play them. Thee is an event bug which gives you back the cards after restarts, and perhaps at other times. This is due to be corrected in the next patch. The timeing for using a card is not addressed very well-so you either can or can't. There had been some statements about making that part more clear in a future patch. It takes too long to figure these out by experience.

What is the best map view to see borders?
If you just want borders, zoom out political(?) (far right button) will give a good picture of borders at start-then the front lines. That is not veryusefull when using units though. Zoomed in MIL mode will show borders in a light red line, but nothing for the "front" line. If the province is empty, you usee the flag displayed as a "front line" indicator.

What do you have to do to find out where a battle has been? I often enter battle and it takes me ages to find out where that battle took place. Jot down the name of the battle and then when all is complete, scroll around-lots of strange place names and too many battle to remember. The ai like certain locations, so you will see certain battlefeilds again.

Where and when do I go to set building of units in place? Top left button. They arrive in reinforcemnts window.

As above for technology?
Top right button.

Sorry abouit that crappy looking post-no time to set it right this morning. 11 hours from now.

JudgeDredd -> RE: A few questions that keep getting me stuck... (12/29/2008 11:40:45 PM)

Thx Maestro, one other thing

Seige...how do I go about it? The screen is completely different. In Leige (I think), I had units, but didn't know what to do with them. I put an Arty and soldiers in the commit section and clicked the engage button, but after the first try, I could not get them to do it again.

Can you explain to me how to deal with the siege screen and sieges in general.

Thx

06 Maestro -> RE: A few questions that keep getting me stuck... (12/30/2008 2:28:20 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Thx Maestro, one other thing--siege.

A siege will begin after any other units which are not part of that fortress garrison are driven out in a regular battle. (forts support outside defenders with 3 free arty shots). It is possible to have the regular battle to drive out a detachment or army and then enter into a siege in the fortress province. Often, you will not get to the siege screen until the next phase. If you do enter a siege dialog after a regular battle, you may get only one siege action. If you begin the turn with the siege already in effect, you can get 4 (maybe more) combat phases to attempt capture.

The siege screen is different from the main battle dialog in that you cannot put units on a front line. Also, there are 3 actions for you to choose from other than "delay siege". You can "besiege", "bombard" or " assault. Clicking "besiege" will result in a surrender test-generally not very promising, but will work over multiple turns. "Bombard" will result in all present arty in reserve in firing on the fortress with the result of possible fortress reduction-siege artillery seems to guarantee that. By choosing "assault" you are enabled to move an infantry unit onto the "committed box". Once there, you hit the engage button which results in either capturing the fort or suffering losses in a failed attack. Your Arty units on the reserve line are all automatically available for the bombardment.

What I generally do with a new siege is to start with the bombardment, then an assault. If I am feeling lucky and the fortress had been reduced and I have another good quality corp, I will try another assault. Should that fail, I will use the besiege button. Bombardment and besiege buttons can only be used once-the assault button multiple times.

It is my experience that using low quality INF corps for an assault is suicidal-especially if the fortress had not been reduced. I have had a couple of fortresses surrender through nothing but using the besiege option, but it takes several turns-too long in some cases.

JudgeDredd -> RE: A few questions that keep getting me stuck... (12/30/2008 8:05:52 AM)

Crystal clear now. Thx

rotor911 -> RE: A few questions that keep getting me stuck... (10/11/2009 7:52:56 PM)

Please how do you trigger the siege screen? I'm getting mad with the Serbia scenario. My 6th army enters the Belgrade hex and I get the siege screen once at the end of the August military phase. But, then, said army stays dutifully in the hex during the whole scenario, beating up the Serbians who venture here. But no more siege screen! What am I doing wrong? Should I "reenter" the hex each turn? Is there a button that I missed? I'm probably giving up on the game anyway, the interface is too horrible but I'd like  to do Belgrade in at least once. TIA   

06 Maestro -> RE: A few questions that keep getting me stuck... (10/11/2009 9:23:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rotor

Please how do you trigger the siege screen? I'm getting mad with the Serbia scenario. My 6th army enters the Belgrade hex and I get the siege screen once at the end of the August military phase. But, then, said army stays dutifully in the hex during the whole scenario, beating up the Serbians who venture here. But no more siege screen! What am I doing wrong? Should I "reenter" the hex each turn? Is there a button that I missed? I'm probably giving up on the game anyway, the interface is too horrible but I'd like  to do Belgrade in at least once. TIA   

It sounds like you actually captured the city-it does happen quickly sometimes-especially at the start. If you moved into the city with a good size force with arty included, it is possible that a one round siege check would have given you victory.

If the city is still Serbian controlled, you should be getting additional siege screens in the next phase. The siege check will occur even if there is only one of your corps in the province.

My advice is to check the province for ownership. If it is still Serbian, run the game through September. If you do not have another siege screen appear, you have a problem with the game. Perhaps a reinstall is in order. Last, but not least, make sure the game has the current patch.

M

calvinus72 -> RE: A few questions that keep getting me stuck... (10/12/2009 7:59:19 AM)

Nothing done wrong! Sieges take place only when fortresses are attacked. Serbia scenario contains only one fortress: Belgrade. Belgrade is a minor fortress and it's quite easy to destroy. You have surely captured Belgrade immediately. And you don't see anymore the fortress symbol over the map.

Edit: also, remember that sieges take place only at the end of Military phases (not at the end of each army activation, if you are playing in army-by-army activation mode).

rotor911 -> RE: A few questions that keep getting me stuck... (10/12/2009 10:20:04 PM)

Thanks both! Any idea why I can't pull an artillery unit from the reserve to the front? I have continuous problems to drag units to the front (in the battle screen) but I finally get my way most of the time. But there no go. I have a message that the unit is disorganized or already used that is totally false. And there's no distance problem (same hex).  

06 Maestro -> RE: A few questions that keep getting me stuck... (10/13/2009 12:25:02 AM)

The arty unit will emplace at the same location in the committed box-right side IIRC. Why you would get a false warning I don;t know. I don't recall seeing that.

If you are trying to move the unit from the general reserves on the far right side, they may not move due to limitations of combat rounds. I think it is 1 unit every 2 rounds.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI