Deployment Status number in XML OOB (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design

kenwolfe -> Deployment Status number in XML OOB (1/3/2009 6:56:18 PM)

When the Order of Battle of a scenario is exported to an XML file, each unit has a Status tag with a numerical representation of its deployment status. Is there documentation anywhere that associates each of these numeric codes with the deployment options (mobile, entrenched, attacking, etc). Thanks.

kenwolfe -> RE: Deployment Status number in XML OOB (1/4/2009 6:14:01 PM)

Just as a followup to my question, so far I have found there appear to be 29 possible status codes for a unit:

1    Reinforcement
2    Reinforcement
3    Defending
4    Entrenched
5    Fortified

6    Tactical Reserve
7    Local Reserve
8    Mobile
9    Mobile
10    Mobile

11    Mobile
12    Mobile
13    Mobile
14    Mobile
15    Withdrawn

16     Exited
17    Embarked
18    Eliminated
19    Mobile
20    Mobile

21    Embarked
22    Embarked
23    Embarked
24    Divided
25    Nuke

26    Embarked
27    BrdgAtk
28    ArfdAtk
29    Mobile

I am presuming the different Embarked status conditions are for embarkation on different classes of transport (air, sea, rail, airmobile...?). But it is not clear what is the significance of the different Mobile (and reinforcement) status codes, or whether they all just mean the same thing. Does anyone have any information on this? Thanks.

ColinWright -> RE: Deployment Status number in XML OOB (1/4/2009 6:57:46 PM)

quote:

Does anyone have any information on this? Thanks.

I, for one, do not have any information on this. However, I don't want there to be silence, as what you're posting is quite useful. Can't you construct a test scenario to resolve the remaining uncertainties?

kenwolfe -> RE: Deployment Status number in XML OOB (1/5/2009 3:50:21 AM)

In fact I did make a test scenario to find the 29 status codes I listed above. I exported a test OOB to an XML file, manually changed the value of the status tag for the first 99 units to numbers 1 through 99 and imported the XML file back to the scenario. When opening the scenario the status condition showed as listed above for the first 29 units. The others had no status at all, which I presume means that status codes beyond 29 are invalid. I will do further testing to see if I can figure out what distinguishes the following codes that show up with the same status:

1    Reinforcement
2    Reinforcement

8    Mobile
9    Mobile
10    Mobile
11    Mobile
12    Mobile
13    Mobile
14    Mobile
19    Mobile
20    Mobile
29    Mobile  

17    Embarked
21    Embarked
22    Embarked
23    Embarked
26    Embarked

My reason for wanting to know this is that I find it easier to build the OOB for my scenario by using an XML editor and importing it than by using the Force Editor. But when I build it I want to make sure I am setting the intended status for units. I know that I can always change the status in the Force Editor after it is imported but I would prefer to make sure I have it right in the XML file. If I find out anything more I will post it here, but I was just wondering if somebody had this information already.

kenwolfe -> RE: Deployment Status number in XML OOB (1/5/2009 3:37:12 PM)

Here is what I have come up with so far by putting units into various status conditions and seeing what status code shows up when I export the game active player OOB to an XML file:

1    Reinforcement
3    Defending
4    Entrenched
5    Fortified
6    Tactical Reserve
7    Local Reserve
8    Mobile - has not expended MPs
9    Mobile - has expended MPs
10    Mobile - attacking
13    Reorganizing
15    Withdrawn
16     Exited
18    Eliminated
21    Embarked rail
22    Embarked air
23    Embarked sea
24    Divided
25    Nuke
26    Embarked helicopters
27    BrdgAtk
28    ArfdAtk
29    Reorganizing

There are still some "missing" numbers that mostly showed up as "Mobile" when I imported units that I had set to those status codes in an XML file, I am not yet sure whether they are actually valid and if so what their meaning is.

noxious -> RE: Deployment Status number in XML OOB (1/5/2009 4:51:12 PM)

Have you looked at those numbers meaning mobile with expended MP + remaining MP (so remaining MP would be number minus 9) ?
Thanks for the hard work !

ColinWright -> RE: Deployment Status number in XML OOB (1/5/2009 6:38:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: kenwolfe

My reason for wanting to know this is that I find it easier to build the OOB for my scenario by using an XML editor and importing it than by using the Force Editor. But when I build it I want to make sure I am setting the intended status for units. I know that I can always change the status in the Force Editor after it is imported but I would prefer to make sure I have it right in the XML file. If I find out anything more I will post it here, but I was just wondering if somebody had this information already.

This actually looks considerably more useful than you realize: I'm not aware of any way of setting units in a scenario to start with these value (MP's already expended, unit eliminated, etc). May it can be done -- but I didn't know it could.

kenwolfe -> RE: Deployment Status number in XML OOB (1/6/2009 12:24:18 AM)

What I did was move a series of mobile units, some just one hex, some less than half their MPs, some with more than half, some until they had no MPs left. I was thinking the different "Mobile" status conditions might be related to remaining MPs as you suggest. Basically any unit that expended MPs before the OOB was exported showed a status of 9 regardless of how few or many MPs it extended (up to and including all of them)... I was especially wondering whether one status might mean "insufficient MPs to fight even one round of combat" but based on what I found so far that is not the case.

kenwolfe -> RE: Deployment Status number in XML OOB (1/6/2009 12:29:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

This actually looks considerably more useful than you realize: I'm not aware of any way of setting units in a scenario to start with these value (MP's already expended, unit eliminated, etc). May it can be done -- but I didn't know it could.

Yes, importing an OOB from an edited XML file does seem to offer some more flexibility. I don't think you have control over remaining MPs though, i don't see any XML tag for that. Even one with a status of 9 (which from what I have seen means it has expended MPs) will begin the first turn of the game with its full allotment of MPs. But you could do things like have units start in a Fortified status.

Legun -> RE: Deployment Status number in XML OOB (1/6/2009 3:55:22 AM)

I would like to know the difference between "exited"(16) and "eliminated"(18). An unit could be "exited" as result of disbanding by event (no reconstitution). It could be useful to define an unit as eliminated and possible to reconstruct. This is an easy way to simulation of units created if losses of an army are low - f.e. 28.PzD. in 1942.

kenwolfe -> RE: Deployment Status number in XML OOB (1/7/2009 10:22:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Legun

I would like to know the difference between "exited"(16) and "eliminated"(18). An unit could be "exited" as result of disbanding by event (no reconstitution). It could be useful to define an unit as eliminated and possible to reconstruct. This is an easy way to simulation of units created if losses of an army are low - f.e. 28.PzD. in 1942.

Eliminated is pretty straightforward: if I eliminate a unit in battle and dump the OOB it comes up status code 18. I still am not sure what Exited means (it does not mean a Withdrawn unit, that is code 15). TOAW does not allow units to exit the map at a mapedge hex so it's not clear what "exited" might mean (unless it is a hedge against some new feature that might be added later... developers do that a lot).

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI