Activating Programmed Opponent option (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design

kenwolfe -> Activating Programmed Opponent option (1/7/2009 10:28:06 PM)

I have noticed that some scenarios allow one or both or neither sides to be played by the programmed opponent. My question is, what controls this:

- Is there some option in the Game Editor to allow the PO to be used for each Force?
- Are there instead just some minimum requirements before the PO can be activated? Perhaps all formations need to have objectives or some such thing?

noxious -> RE: Activating Programmed Opponent option (1/7/2009 11:13:02 PM)

Basically, it's always activated, but pretty useless if you leave it in that state.
It needs to be "programmed" by assigning one or more objective track for each formation, as well as stance/behaviour towards the objectives, and leverage the event editor (change objective track due to important historical or in-game event, etc.). 

kenwolfe -> RE: Activating Programmed Opponent option (1/8/2009 3:19:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: noxious

Basically, it's always activated, but pretty useless if you leave it in that state.
It needs to be "programmed" by assigning one or more objective track for each formation, as well as stance/behaviour towards the objectives, and leverage the event editor (change objective track due to important historical or in-game event, etc.).

You are right, as soon as I assigned at least one objective for every formation in my test scenario, I was able to select the PO for either force when opening the scenario. I had thought it might be okay for formations with "Independent" formation orders not to have any objectives of their own, but it looks like they also need to have at least one objective.

This leads to a question about air and naval units: what sort of objectives should they have? They are really there just to support the formations of ground units. If air units are given air base hexes as objectives will the PO treat them as a list of possible places to base the air units?

Silvanski -> RE: Activating Programmed Opponent option (1/8/2009 6:03:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: kenwolfe
If air units are given air base hexes as objectives will the PO treat them as a list of possible places to base the air units?

That is a good way of settng the PO for air units in scenarios where their operational range is insufficient to cover the entire map. In case an airfield hex is over stacked air units will usually base at nearby airfields

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI