Computer Wargames most like Boardgames (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

rowech -> Computer Wargames most like Boardgames (1/16/2009 6:40:31 PM)

What computer games, Matrix or otherwise, have the most boardgame like feel to them?

GJK -> RE: Computer Wargames most like Boardgames (1/16/2009 7:26:57 PM)

Boardgames played on a computer using VASSAL. [;)]

Computer War in Europe will be a direct translation of the boardgame to computer.

HPS Games are quite "boardgame" like.

Matrix Games own "Guns of August" is very boardgame like as well as their Decisive Battles series.

I think it was this forum that it was brought up, but Hitler's War is a direct translation of the Avalon Hill boardgame by the same name.

Game Table Online is a cool place to meet and play many types of boardgames online.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Computer Wargames most like Boardgames (1/16/2009 8:07:17 PM)

What defines "boardgame feel" for you, rowech?

terje439 -> RE: Computer Wargames most like Boardgames (1/16/2009 8:37:10 PM)

I would say that Advanced Civilization has quite a good board game feel imo, not sure if it is easily available thou. Underdogs or somethign similar might be worth checking up.

rowech -> RE: Computer Wargames most like Boardgames (1/16/2009 9:44:23 PM)

I'm probably thinking mostly like Avalon Hill's games...not really Axis and Allies type games. 

Brigz -> RE: Computer Wargames most like Boardgames (1/16/2009 10:33:02 PM)

The two games offered by this company are about as close as you can get to a board wargame adapted to computer. They are'nt flashy but they play and function just like an old school board game. http://schwerpunkt.wargamer.com/

hadberz -> RE: Computer Wargames most like Boardgames (1/16/2009 11:56:35 PM)

Armageddon Empires feels very much like a boardgames. Great game too. http://www.crypticcomet.com/

Hanal -> RE: Computer Wargames most like Boardgames (1/17/2009 12:13:04 AM)

AGW and RGW from Schwerpunkt though the interface is clunky...
Hoplites..good translation of card based game
Montjoie..even a better translation of a card game
World War One..eventually
World in Flames..hopefully

Kuokkanen -> RE: Computer Wargames most like Boardgames (1/17/2009 4:53:18 PM)

MegaMek

ccxx -> RE: Computer Wargames most like Boardgames (1/17/2009 6:02:27 PM)

Any one else think GG's world at war does like a BG?

e_barkmann -> RE: Computer Wargames most like Boardgames (1/17/2009 10:53:15 PM)

have a look at SSG's Kharkov game. It plays like a sophisticated historical board game and unlike a lot of other games, does not hide the game rules so you get a good understanding of what's required to play the game well.

cheers

Anendrue -> RE: Computer Wargames most like Boardgames (1/18/2009 4:18:53 AM)

Look at World in Flames. Although not released yetit is due out this spring. However it is the best example of a direct port from boardgame to PC.

Grell -> RE: Computer Wargames most like Boardgames (1/18/2009 5:50:47 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ccxx

Any one else think GG's world at war does like a BG?

Yes I agree![:)]

Regards,

Grell

RyanCrierie -> RE: Computer Wargames most like Boardgames (1/18/2009 5:52:33 AM)

The Operational Art of War 3

invernomuto -> RE: Computer Wargames most like Boardgames (1/18/2009 11:13:18 AM)

Gary Grisby: World at War and his sequel AWD.
Also, hex based boardgame, JT: Campaign Series

Bye

Erik Rutins -> RE: Computer Wargames most like Boardgames (1/18/2009 7:26:20 PM)

I would recommend the SSG games (latest is Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets), definitely, for the kind of boardgame feel you describe. Also Birth of America (and Birth of America 2 and most AGEOD games - take a look at Montjoie too), Gary Grigsby's A World Divided and War Between the States, John Tiller's Battleground Series, Guns of August, and honestly there are quite a few others. Those are the first that pop to mind at the moment as they could very much be made into boardgames and in some cases their design started as boardgames.

James Ward -> RE: Computer Wargames most like Boardgames (1/20/2009 6:20:05 PM)

HPS Panzer Campaigns and Modern Campaigns feel like board games. The Grand Campaigns in them remind me of the monster games of old, thousands of units buty no worrying that the cat will nuke the board!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI