SUDG Newbie (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3

Nox Celeste -> SUDG Newbie (5/4/2002 8:09:43 AM)

All though I've only logged in six hours of playing - at the expense of losing sleep and getting my wife p-o'd - I'm extremely impressed with the game. Not so much because it's an independant game, but because it's so much better than the piles and piles of games (a.k.a. coasters) made by big game developers that are just collecting dust on my shelves/desk.

One thing I'm quite impressed about is the direct input that players have with the developer(s). In those big-budget games, what you see is what you get, regardless of what you see as a shortcoming in the game. I've read most of the threads on the BBS, and the developer replies to most of them. In time, now that the game is slowly gaining a "mainstream" audience, more and more info on what players want improved/taken out/etc will polish a great game into what I term a legendary game.

So far, I've only got a few gripes about the game. Well, annoyances is more like it. First, mines. I love 'em, they're the ultimate lazy-mans way to toss up a piecemeal defense of a system. But I hate their animations: Dancing and flittering around a coupla hundred miles an hour over the graphic of a planet - it makes my eyes hurt, especially if they're doing their little flutter over, say, my Homeworld. I'd much prefer if they just sat there like menacing little things until something hostile came into range. THEN they can dance around like little jumping beans.

Second, I like the basic ship designs. But, a little more detail would make me love 'em. A few pixels here depicting little lighted windows, or a red bloop here or there depicting flashing lights on the hull. What I've never seen done in any game, 4x or no, is real-time damage to the ships. Hit an un-armored destroyer in the side with a phasor bolt? I'd love to see a blackened sear mark right there, or even the bulkhead ripped open. Some games promise that (I.E. Starfleet Command II), but none actually deliver that sort of detail. I know, I know, that would take a decent amount of coding to do - it's just something on my wish-list.

The last thing isn't all that much, and I believe it's all ready implemented. I'll have to grab the manual again and look. But, a zoom-in/out feature. Nothing too spectacular, no rotation or panning up or down. Just an option to zoom in a frame or two.

Ah well... all in all, I absolutely love the game. If only the technical aspects are hashed out, and the gameplay/graphix remain the same, I'm completely happy. Tho, I'm sending the bill for my wife's anger management classes to the development team.

madmax88 -> (5/4/2002 4:41:59 PM)

Ah, zoom! The original Stun (it's in the user manual of SUDG but it shouln't) used to allow zoom and yes, it would be awesome to have it back... especially for combat. (even if the graphics were to be pixelized)

As for more combat related details (damage shown on ships), i think we'd all like that to happen. Unfortunately, since all the graphics are 2d, it would be quite tedious to realize (a graphic for each damage type, for every hull type, size and rotation - 3x12x6x16= 3456 different graphics, even then it would show damage always in the same place). But at least we now have user mods, meaning you could add a few things (windows, lights) on the existing ships or design new ones. :D

What i'd like to see though, and it was there before!! is the graphic representing shields being hit by weapons. Now it's the same wether or not you have 'em. :( I assume andrew's taken them off because of the new ship sizes, the scout being way smaller than the cruiser and so on. But hey andrew, if you wish to consider it, i volunteer to produce a 2-3 frame animation for each hull size! ;)

Vaaish -> (5/5/2002 7:46:51 AM)

I'm not sure that we could enlarge them enough to SEE the windows much. If I rendered them big enough they would end up too large on screen.

Nox Celeste -> (5/7/2002 5:49:58 AM)

Hmm... I've got v1.2, updated and all that jazz, and I still see the shield animations when a weapon scores a hit. When did the graphix change for that? Mebbe I don't have the most update ver?

madmax88 -> (5/7/2002 10:52:15 AM)

It used to be a force field that surrounded the ship, now it's only a small blue dust cloud where the weapon hits.

It would just great to see a more obvious difference. :D

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI