Modding, how to? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series >> Mods and Scenarios

WayneKY -> Modding, how to? (1/20/2009 11:55:03 PM)

I have some things I'd like to see added to the Battleground series and I see all these fine mods you guys have put together and I'm left wondering, why can't I give this a shot?

Is there documentation....source code...something out there that explains the system? I'm not afraid to hack away at things. I'm a Network Security Engineer by trade and writing my own tools is just part of the job. So...any pointers on where to get started?

So, what do I want to see in the game?

1) Firing on hexes whether or not I can see an enemy there. There are all kinds of reports in the ORs where artillery is fired into wooded areas.

2) Cavalry attacking while mounted. Ask General Nathan Bedford Forrest if this was ever done.

simovitch -> RE: Modding, how to? (1/22/2009 7:02:35 PM)

The source code for software is generally not made available to the public for several reasons relating to copyright laws.

The best chance for getting such refinements to the BF game engine would be if Matrix releases the code to a trusted and dedicated 3rd party group, such as was done for the Campaign Series.

For now we are limited to modding graphics and some basic game parameters in the main.pdt file.

Luciano B -> RE: Modding, how to? (1/23/2009 5:47:08 PM)

I didn't notice that the code of the Campaign Series was released ...it would be great if the same will happen for the BG games.

In the meantime we may only edit some parameters in the related Main.pdt file (change from the original 25 to 10 men for each strenght point; add new weapons with new stats or mod the existing ones, change the movement points required for each terrain type and similar stuff)
You may also craft completely new battles with new maps ...it's a hard and time-consuming effort which requires some experience in graphic editing to accomplish nice results.

During the past years I provided many new ACW battles, currently available at the ACW Cartography Office:
http://www.acwgc.org/acwco/

1NWCG -> RE: Modding, how to? (1/25/2009 8:54:56 PM)

Hey Luciano! Are you still modding these days?

Luciano B -> RE: Modding, how to? (1/27/2009 9:44:53 PM)

Hi )

I'm taking into consideration to return on modding... I would like to have more time...

1NWCG -> RE: Modding, how to? (2/15/2009 9:38:20 PM)

We all would love to have you back at it!!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI