Anybody else have something like this happen? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

Pistachio -> Anybody else have something like this happen? (2/1/2009 8:59:17 PM)

May, 1943. I have a destroyer, an oiler, and a PT boat heading from Brisbane to Gili Gili. An I-boat attacks (1 salvo) and gets one torpedo hit on the DD. The DD depth charges to no effect and then the PT boat fires and gets a single torpedo hit on the sub. Sub sinks.

Although I suppose this might be possible (if unlikely) in the real world, I never knew the game would accommodate it - it never ceases to amaze me what odd things the game will do and what every day things it will not do (or should I say "will not do well"). Not a complaint, just an observation.

Yamato hugger -> RE: Anybody else have something like this happen? (2/1/2009 9:09:48 PM)

I have seen subs torpedoed. Its rare, but it happens.

AW1Steve -> RE: Anybody else have something like this happen? (2/1/2009 9:11:20 PM)

I'm sorry , but it sounds like the lead in to a really bad joke. A Destroyer , an oiler and a PT boat walk into a bar......[:D]

bradfordkay -> RE: Anybody else have something like this happen? (2/1/2009 9:32:42 PM)

... and all three skippers were cashiered for running their ships aground. [:'(]

Terminus -> RE: Anybody else have something like this happen? (2/1/2009 9:51:46 PM)

Once AE comes around, you'll be able to actually see the description of this incident, i.e. "destroyer forces sub to surface and PT boat launches torpedo at it".

witpqs -> RE: Anybody else have something like this happen? (2/1/2009 10:15:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Once AE comes around, you'll be able to actually see the description of this incident, i.e. "destroyer forces sub to surface and PT boat launches torpedo at it".

What's AE, Termy?

Terminus -> RE: Anybody else have something like this happen? (2/1/2009 10:16:15 PM)

Absolutely (non)-Existent...[:'(]

Pistachio -> RE: Anybody else have something like this happen? (2/1/2009 10:18:46 PM)

Hah - it DOES sound like a bar joke![:D]  Sounds good about AE (Admiral's Edition) - hadn't thought about the concussive effects of a depth charging....[:)]

[EDIT] - and the PT boat says, "Got any nails?"[:'(]

rockmedic109 -> RE: Anybody else have something like this happen? (2/2/2009 4:50:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

I'm sorry , but it sounds like the lead in to a really bad joke. A Destroyer , an oiler and a PT boat walk into a bar......[:D]

The skipper was thirsty so they hit the first bar they came to. Sadly, it was a sand bar......

Ellsid -> RE: Anybody else have something like this happen? (2/2/2009 6:30:38 AM)

Oct. 1-2 1943, Japs are evacuating Kolombangara(Solomons)USN DD Eaton spots I-20 on the surface. At close range gun fire I-20 "roll belly-up like a dead fish".

Dec. 24, 1943, Buna-Gona_Sanananda campaign, PT-122 was on night patrol looking for Jap barges bringing in supplies. I-22 is sighted fully surfaced. PT-122 fires (2) fish for one hit at 800 yards. At 500 yards fires (2) more and breaks I-22 in half. PT-122 skipper sights (4) fish coming their way from a second Jap sub that was off in the distance all mised.

Strange things do happen in war.

Feltan -> RE: Anybody else have something like this happen? (2/2/2009 7:53:19 AM)

quote:

"A Destroyer, an oiler and a PT boat ..." also sounds like a lead in to an episode of McHale's Navy -- espeically when the PT boat ends up sinking a sub.

Regards,
Feltan

John Lansford -> RE: Anybody else have something like this happen? (2/2/2009 12:46:32 PM)

I had a sub get torpedoed by a batch of IJN DD's early in my 1942 campaign.  I guess the sub commander knew his torpedoes sucked so he decided he'd use his deck gun...

rtrapasso -> RE: Anybody else have something like this happen? (2/2/2009 2:24:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ellsid

Oct. 1-2 1943, Japs are evacuating Kolombangara(Solomons)USN DD Eaton spots I-20 on the surface. At close range gun fire I-20 "roll belly-up like a dead fish".

Dec. 24, 1943, Buna-Gona_Sanananda campaign, PT-122 was on night patrol looking for Jap barges bringing in supplies. I-22 is sighted fully surfaced. PT-122 fires (2) fish for one hit at 800 yards. At 500 yards fires (2) more and breaks I-22 in half. PT-122 skipper sights (4) fish coming their way from a second Jap sub that was off in the distance all mised.

Strange things do happen in war.

Problem with this last report is it almost definitely didn't happen... the Japanese lost contact with the I-22 on 4 October 1942... the PT-122 incident supposedly took place on 18 December 1942 (not 1943)... this was about 2.5 months after she went missing, and 3 days after the I-22 was removed from the Japanese Navy list... it is a story that is often repeated, however.

Who know what (if anything) the PT-122 torpedoed... but it almost definitely wasn't an IJN sub.

EDIT - i am going on a report from I-22 listed elsewhere on the net that reports she was torpedoed by a PT... I-20 was possibly sunk by USS Ellet 3 September 1943... last contact with I-20 was 31 Aug 1943. Other sources credit I-20's destruction by USS Wadsworth on 1 September 1943.

Hanzberger -> RE: Anybody else have something like this happen? (2/2/2009 4:56:00 PM)

So Term does admit there really is an AE!  [X(]

Ellsid -> RE: Anybody else have something like this happen? (2/2/2009 9:57:09 PM)

Sorry for my error on 1942, but most of the naval info I have is from S.E. Morison's History USN WWII. Where have you found other resources for IJN and USN data I would Like to update(footenote) information that has been cleared up. My volume VI Breaking the Bismark Barrier is original 1st print edition.

rtrapasso -> RE: Anybody else have something like this happen? (2/3/2009 12:58:22 AM)

quote:

Sorry for my error on 1942, but most of the naval info I have is from S.E. Morison's History USN WWII. Where have you found other resources for IJN and USN data I would Like to update(footenote) information that has been cleared up. My volume VI Breaking the Bismark Barrier is original 1st print edition.

A good set of references - but alas, many of the details were based on what was thought to be true 40 or so years ago...

Best overall source i've found on the IJN ships and their fates in the COMBINED FLEET website - folks here work hard to get the details right based on the latest research... books (once published) tend to "lock in" data and have a hard time competing in this regards.

The website is www.combinedfleet.com - overall an excellent place, and as i said probably the best thing for individual ship histories. [&o] [&o] [&o]

wwengr -> RE: Anybody else have something like this happen? (2/3/2009 1:01:26 AM)

quote:

http://www.history.navy.mil/danfs/Index.html

Also, Wikipedia has a lot of good information compiled on individual ships and ship classes.

Ellsid -> RE: Anybody else have something like this happen? (2/3/2009 2:41:10 AM)

Well Morison's info is great but he only had so much information access to IJN and many of his ealier editions were finalized before he or others had reviewed many of the Japanese war records that had become available.  But I found a wed site, combinedfleet.com list Jpanese subs and operational loss history....many of them match Morison's but found a few that were off a bit.  Some mysteries are never solved...ordered a book on Amazon about Jap subs WW2. 

nautilus -> RE: Anybody else have something like this happen? (2/4/2009 3:06:43 AM)

yeah 1 of my subs was torpped tonight, off the PI. A destroyer got her.

crsutton -> RE: Anybody else have something like this happen? (2/4/2009 10:03:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feltan

quote:

"A Destroyer, an oiler and a PT boat ..." also sounds like a lead in to an episode of McHale's Navy -- espeically when the PT boat ends up sinking a sub.

Regards,
Feltan

If you are old enough to have watched McHale's Navy then you would know that Esn. Charles Parker actually sank the Yamato. (Well, almost anyhow).

Most of the naval history that I know today came from this wonderful show...[:-]

stuman -> RE: Anybody else have something like this happen? (2/5/2009 12:31:06 AM)

I certainly remember, it made the Pacific War seem so much fun to a youngster. If my dad happened by when I was watching he would alwalys make a comment along the lines of how much tougher war really was, etc. ( He also hated MASH when it first came out, he served more than 2 years in Korea during that war, and thought it was disrespectful, 'tho he eventually mellowed  somewhat).

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI